Playing at work

Jager

Grandmaster
So i have time to do minor things in game while at work but im having a problem installing the client, im on a work PC and i think im guest and cant get into admin, i had no problems downloading the client but to open and run it i need Win Zip and to run WinZip i need to be admin.. wondering if anyone else out there has this problem and knows a way to get around it.. any help would be great. thanks

Jager said:
So i have time to do minor things in game while at work but im having a problem installing the client, im on a work PC and i think im guest and cant get into admin, i had no problems downloading the client but to open and run it i need Win Zip and to run WinZip i need to be admin.. wondering if anyone else out there has this problem and knows a way to get around it.. any help would be great. thanks

Running programs as an administrator (elevated privileges) is a security feature implemented by Microsoft. If you are logging on as a regular user and you are not a member of the local administrators group on the computer, then anything you do would be construed as trying to circumvent the security put in place by your company's IT Security Team. I'd advise against it. (I'm an IT Security Engineer in my company).

That said, there are ways around it. There are ways around everything in Windows. Best bet is to find an IT buddy (or make one) and see if they can log in as an admin and install it for you. I highly advise against trying to do it any other way.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Dunno if you could toss the extracted files on a thumbdrive?

Playing at work is dangerous lol. I am my own boss and I still won't do it, I know 'small things' will end up being '8 hours creeping around dungeons'...

Karl Sagan said:

Playing at work is dangerous lol. I am my own boss and I still won't do it, I know 'small things' will end up being '8 hours creeping around dungeons'...

Thing with this is it doesn't matter where the files are. They could be on a thumb drive, an external hard drive, or in the cloud. You must have elevated privileges in order to install the files within the OS.

Jager

Grandmaster
ahh ok well im a car salesman and we dont have any in house IT guys here, so looks like im shit outa luck for playing at work.. guess i should just sell more cars then.. thanks guys for the info i appreciate it.

UODreadNoxx

There are programs you can burn to a cd and boot off of that let you change the local admin password on the box. A simple google search will lead to them... I don;t advise you get fired from your job to play more though...

raezion420

Apprentice
Theros Ironfeld said:
Karl Sagan said:

Thing with this is it doesn't matter where the files are. They could be on a thumb drive, an external hard drive, or in the cloud. You must have elevated privileges in order to install the files within the OS.
If you have all the files (game and razor) installed on a thumb drive, you can run it from the thumbdrive, you do not need to put anything at all on the computer.

Me being a nerd, on my tough ass steel thumb drive I keep on my keychain, I keep a copy of UO and razor so I can login from any computer anywhere I am, just in case I need to.. :p

Doing it this way you do not need to install anything, and should bypass your problem of having to install something on the work computer.

Phrozt

Neophyte
Also, if your work has closed the port UO is using, you can always get hold of a VPN, and play that way.
That's how I roll when I'm out sailing with my work, which is easily up to a few months...