Please accept BITCOINS for donations!!

Potato

Neophyte
Not sure why in the world you guys wouldn't be already... If you don't want to hold the BTC just use coinbase and convert straight to cash at time of donation!! Only 1% fee (66% less than PayPal), retain more of your money and NO CHARGEBACKS whatsoever!!

Step into 2014 please, and I will dump hundreds in donations today. Guaranteed.

I promise you it's so easy that you could have it setup within the next hour.

Potato

Neophyte
Why would this be a joke? Bitcoin is a legitimate means of value transfer (especially in terms of donations).

Overstock.com did 1 Million in Bitcoin sales in less than a month. Tiger Direct did a million in 2 weeks - all bitcoin sales.

Do you guys want to expand your ability to receive donations? It's legal, it's legit, it's fast and it will GUARANTEED increase donations. PLUS give the shard promotion! I could have an article posted on coindesk within a week about the shard if you accept BTC.

Potato

Neophyte
You can lol all you want bud. I assure you I'm laughing harder while I sit on my pile of BTC and hear the sweet sweet sounds of my miners replenishing my funds daily.

To not accept BTC is just pure stupidity. The server would be assuming absolutely no risk. They don't even have to report the BTC income if they choose to have coinbase convert straight to USD. There's 66% less fees and it's guaranteed to increase donation revenue while providing more options for the playerbase.

How is this even an argument?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Why does everything I hear about online currencies remind me of a pyramid scheme?

While your exchange sites are getting hacked, shutting down, and your dollar (which is already a stupid thing) is vanishing into cyberspace...I'll be perfectly happy waiting decades for your edgy new currency to catch on. And it might. One day it just might. It's a novel idea...but BitCoin is dying.

Paper currency was a hard pill for people to swallow millennia ago but just look at it today! Rofl.

At least coins, at one point in time, had some material value but that time has long since passed.

HighIntentions

Neophyte
Not sure why in the world you guys wouldn't be already... If you don't want to hold the BTC just use coinbase and convert straight to cash at time of donation!! Only 1% fee (66% less than PayPal), retain more of your money and NO CHARGEBACKS whatsoever!!

Step into 2014 please, and I will dump hundreds in donations today. Guaranteed.

I promise you it's so easy that you could have it setup within the next hour.

I can say that, I'm also a BTC miner. Everything he said is actually quite true.

Though the vender would need to look more into it, it is def. a great marketing strat. When you look at all the extra perks you gain from BTC. Not to mention the NEW opportunities you open up to the market of UOforever and bitcoin millionaire that just want to sell those coins...

There are tons of people that are playing MINE-CRAFT, w/ the mentality of amazing mechanics.. so many people that I mention UO to now, actually will give it the time of day after experiencing mine-craft. Therefore, you already have a new generation forming of people that are adapting to new style of game play (really re-birth dumbed down game-play and selling thousands)... Why not new style of currency? Adapt or be left behind. Simple as that.

I hope UO Forever just takes a look into alternative currency with real value, before shoving it under the rug and not taking a glance.

Thanks

HighIntentions

Neophyte
Why does everything I hear about online currencies remind me of a pyramid scheme?

While your exchange sites are getting hacked, shutting down, and your dollar (which is already a stupid thing) is vanishing into cyberspace...I'll be perfectly happy waiting decades for your edgy new currency to catch on. And it might. One day it just might. It's a novel idea...but BitCoin is dying.

Paper currency was a hard pill for people to swallow millennia ago but just look at it today! Rofl.

At least coins, at one point in time, had some material value but that time has long since passed.

You make some great points, and I agree with a few.

BTC is not dying.

Who started the first depression in America?

John D. Rockefeller
.. edit@ << Rockafella LOL Jay-Z *****! : D
how?
Pipeline...

Those are days of real industrial reevaluation are gone.

Do you think during those times, people thought it would get better, while they sit on the side of road dying?

The Dollar has had some has had some hard times too, and I believe it has came back a few times.. although, this time, I believe it is the one dying.

Potato

Neophyte

You are a complete moron... I've made more money in the past year off of BTC than you have probably made in your entire life. Real talk.

The same people who dumped huge money into a little thing called the INTERNET are investing 100s of millions of dollars into bitcoin businesses.. For some reason I think the internet worked out pretty good?

The only way you can even possibly respond the way you are is solely a result of pure ignorance. You know absolutely nothing about bitcoin, how it works or the benefits it's providing across the globe. The funny thing is: that doesn't matter. I'm not asking you to believe in bitcoin. I'm asking the shard to open up more revenue streams for itself and possibly get some free publicity. Accepting BTC can do nothing but help the server.

As for everything else, I reaallly hope you remember this conversation over the next couple years. When you realize you are a pathetic pawn, sheep or drone if you will and the opportunity has now passed you, come back and post here so I can laugh my fucking ass off.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Every form of currency ever has had hard times.

BitCoin is going to be the first in a long line of crashing and burning before this stuff catches on. Best not to be an early adopter on this one, all I'm saying.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Haha look how mad this guy is!

The harder you try to validate your point...you know what just forget it. Not worth my time, which apparently isn't very valuable according to this computer chair economist.

Nothing to see here.

Bromista

Grandmaster
yes please accept bitcoins and more importantly uoforever gold
we should be giving people hella gold on UOF for grinding elsewhere it makes perfect sense
if you don't think so you're a stupid
Why didn't I just do what wreckognize did?

Why did I try to make sense instead of highlighting the ignorance?

I have much to learn.

Potato

Neophyte
Okay so basically your argument is that the shard shouldn't accept donations at all?? That seems legit. Great argument.

Also, please show me where you can real time exchange uoforever gold to USD?? I cash out my BTC weekly, can't remember the last time I cashed out my uoforever bank

HighIntentions

Neophyte
yes please accept bitcoins and more importantly uoforever gold
we should be giving people hella gold on UOF for grinding elsewhere it makes perfect sense
if you don't think so you're a stupid

So much hate. Like a $ 6,223,004,434 market cap, is really going to inflate the eco of UOF.... These coins are.. you know what, not even worth my time.

The dollar is being printed. That is what UOF accepts... Inflation.. na?? Going out and killing mob is inflation, creating something out of thin air? Or is it? Who is the say, everytime you cast a spell you are not solving some data algo with your CPU and you dont even know it, but getting the gold from the mob is now the reward for your effort. Meh, all speculation, but that is what bitcoin is. Its great, and driven by people that don't have the ability to put sodium fluoride in your city water.

Rumors, hear say, and more rumors.

I believe the thread is great, and will have some answers and questions arise. I really like to how the world as whole see bitcoins.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
cash is king
i feel like you're just here to promote bitcoins?
logically, if developers would prefer to be paid in bitcoin rather than irl cash money im sure they would already be accepting them
and don't act like everyones printing money im pretty sure thats just americans and bitcoin founders

kurtis

Grandmaster
The future of bitcoin and its legitimacy as a long-term form of currency is not really relevant here. Like OP already stated, BTC can be immediately converted into US dollars, and with much lower transaction fees than Paypal (what UOF mostly uses). It's not as if UOF has to hold onto them and "invest."

The real question is this: does the time/effort it takes setting up a system to accept BTC outweigh the donations from what I presume will be very few BTC donators. That's a question only Shane can answer I think.

Potato

Neophyte
So much hate. Like a $ 6,223,004,434 market cap, is really going to inflate the eco of UOF.... These coins are.. you know what, not even worth my time.

The dollar is being printed. That is what UOF accepts... Inflation.. na?? Going out and killing mob is inflation, creating something out of thin air? Or is it? Who is the say, everytime you cast a spell you are not solving some data algo with your CPU and you dont even know it, but getting the gold from the mob is now the reward for your effort. Meh, all speculation, but that is what bitcoin is. Its great, and driven by people that don't have the ability to put sodium fluoride in your city water.

Rumors, hear say, and more rumors.

I believe the thread is great, and will have some answers and questions arise. I really like to how the world as whole see bitcoins.
Please re-read my post. This is how it works -

Currently they accept USD through PayPal. Which charges a 3.3% fee.

They can accept BTC through COINBASE and receive ONLY USD. So it works like this - I donate $10 worth of BTC (.02) it processed through coinbase which then converts straight to USD and sends the shard USD with a only 1% FEE

So if I donate with PayPal UOF receives - $9.67 USD

If I donate with BTC through coinbase or bitpay UOF receives - $9.90 USD

Is it really that complicated? They get MORE money and have absolutely no risk of chargebacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Potato

Neophyte
The future of bitcoin and its legitimacy as a long-term form of currency is not really relevant here. Like OP already stated, BTC can be immediately converted into US dollars, and with much lower transaction fees than Paypal (what UOF mostly uses). It's not as if UOF has to hold onto them and "invest."

The real question is this: does the time/effort it takes setting up a system to accept BTC outweigh the donations from what I presume will be very few BTC donators. That's a question only Shane can answer I think.
I can tell you right now the core of my bitcoin friends are ALL former UO players (we're awesome) and now BTC miners and investors, and prefer to spend our money in BTC (in support of the protocol). We all are getting the UO itch and we WILL tell our friends. The donation amounts will be size-able and could potentially grow exponentially as word gets out. (Which I really can help with that too if wanted)

Bromista

Grandmaster
Every cryptocurrency related post does seem like it's just shamelessly promoting a dying thing. Everyone who harps on this stuff seems like they is trying to convince themselves as much as they are everyone else that their cryptocurrency of choice is on the up and up.

If your currency can be likened to this:
dogecoin.jpg

Then you are going to have a hard time being taken seriously.