Please Fix Tinker Trapped Locked Boxes!

halygon

Grandmaster
So... Tinker Trapped Locked boxes...

These things are, for the lack of a better term, "special" here on UOF. They pretty much don't work as they have on every other shard (including OSI) since the history of UO.

..Basically what I am saying is.. they are jacked up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So here is how they should work:
  1. A carpenter makes a wooden box and has enough tinkering skill to make it lockable -- whaalaa a lockable crafted box
  2. A Tinker then sets a trap on the box - explosion, spike, or poison - whichever
  3. The key is used on said trapped box and the box becomes "Locked" and the trap is "Armed".
  4. If the key is used again on said trapped box the box becomes "Unlocked" and the trap is "Unarmed" FOR ONLY THE OWNER
So at this point, you can access the box place items in it and then use the key again to "Lock" and "Arm" the box so it is armed against everyone (including the owner). If the key is not used again on it, then the trap is only armed towards another player who is not the owner of the box. Simple enough right?

On UOF, trapped boxes once armed, never become unarmed -- period. This means that if I (the owner) unlock a box, the trap will go off when I (the owner) opens it (and expect the trap to be disarmed) OR when anyone (non-owner) opens it.

A trapped box, once initially armed and then unlocked - SHOULD ONLY HAVE THE TRAP GO OFF WHEN A NON-OWNER ATTEMPTS TO OPEN IT.

Fix this please!

Also on a side note: If a box is trapped and it is chopped up with an axe -- the trap goes off on the person chopping the box. This should not happen either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellan

Grandmaster
It should kill the chopper, why not.. But - make it really kill. Can't count how many of my boxes redlined someone, instead of killing him.

halygon

Grandmaster
It should kill the chopper, why not.. But - make it really kill. Can't count how many of my boxes redlined someone, instead of killing him.
Actually it shouldn't trip the trap at all as it is not opening the box.

But to your point about explosions not killing. The power of the trap is determined by the skill level of the tinkerer who trapped the box -- some say armor plays a role in this, but I do not believe that is the case.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Always had GM tinker, no less.. So it means I need Legendary tinker to ensure my traps kill anyone? It might be counted as pvp issue, eh, sort of, since you kill people with it, and I thought those aren't affected by powerscrolls..

halygon

Grandmaster
Always had GM tinker, no less.. So it means I need Legendary tinker to ensure my traps kill anyone? It might be counted as pvp issue, eh, sort of, since you kill people with it, and I thought those aren't affected by powerscrolls..
I am not sure if the power is effected by tinkering higher than GM or not. There may be a cap like on lumberjacking axe bonus.

But this is slightly off topic here. The power of the trap is not what is the issue.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Yah, just wanted to add it to this, since if they're not sure kill, then they're worthless. Good luck with this issue, it came on my mind too.

eppy

Grandmaster
Tinker traps are worthless anyway. Who falls for that except newbies. If you want to make them interesting, let us put them on any container. No one wants them to be interesting or useful.

Hell give murder counts for them if that helps. But seriously, no one thinks they are fun except the griefing tinker, so why would they even deal with these?

halygon

Grandmaster
Tinker traps are worthless anyway. Who falls for that except newbies. If you want to make them interesting, let us put them on any container. No one wants them to be interesting or useful.

Hell give murder counts for them if that helps. But seriously, no one thinks they are fun except the griefing tinker, so why would they even deal with these?
They are the number one thief deterrent available when working properly -- that's why.