Proposal of New Metals Addition to UOF

amonseti

Grandmaster
Idea Alert @Shane @Adam @eppy @halygon

This is an Old Idea I had sometime ago that I originally posted in this thread . And was brought up recently again. So I would like to take the Chance to elaborate a little more on it . The basics of my ideas remain the same as follows:

Based on your mining skill passed 100 there would be 4 new rarity tiers of ores that have a chance to be mined up during the regular mining process..
Tiers are as follows:
Tier 4 chance, requires 105 mining skill (5% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Tier 3 chance, requires 110 mining skill (3% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Tier 2 chance, requires 115 mining skill (2% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Tier 1 chance, requires 120 mining skill (1% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Each Ore type mined has a rare ore type in one of these tiers that have a chance to be obtained
as follows

:: Disclaimer:: For all you arm chair metallurgists out there, I tried to stay true to actually ore color . but in many cases I have deviated a little to considerably . A lot of real world ores are silverish in color and well just needed something different .. Hell some of these metals dont even have a solid state at room temperature .. Just putting it out there that this is not intended to be scientifically accurate of the metals ive represented .. :p

an "Iron node" Has a chance to Produce:

T4 = Aluminum, T3 = Nickle, T2 = Steel, T1 = Brass
2vht4l4.png
508x4.png

an "Dull Copper node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Lead", T3 = "Tin", T2 = "Zinc", T1 = "Carbon"
2r6l5rq.png
sm86ld.png

an "Shadow node" Has a chance to Produce:

T4 = "Wrought Iron", T3 = "Wrought Steel", T2 = "Wrought Brass", T1 = "Black Gold" (*no not oil silly)
29w1uet.png
2n246dj.png

an "Copper node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Molybdenum", T3 = "Nikolite", T2 = "Chromium", T1 = "Ancient Copper"
15xagzt.png
6oe4vl.png

a "Bronze node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Ardite", T3 = "Dull Titanium", T2 = "Titanium", T1 = "Admantium"
2ecjbs8.png
350rlg1.png

a "Gold node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Pyrite", T3 = "Pure Silver", T2 = "Pure Gold", T1 = "Pure Platinum"
2mhbjfm.png
2dgvvdd.png

an "Agapite node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Blood Iron", T3 = "Cinnabar", T2 = "Tungsten", T1 = "Phoenix gold"
wan8zl.png
2mg1561.png

a "Verite node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Dull Gold", T3 = "Vanadium", T2 = "Mercury" *, T1 = "Uranium"
2h6sxlk.png
2ih1quv.png

a "Valorite node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Cobalt", T3 = "Frost Iron", T2 = "Deistic Gold", T1 = "Electrum"
11hs0wp.png
30vnqdv.png

Blacksmithing with these rare ores would also require the proper skill. ie T1 ore's require 105 Blacksmithy to T4 requiring 120 smithing min to work with it . Only smithing items can be made with this new ore.

Smelting the ore however would not change the tier would follow its base ore type for smelting Success. IE smelting Electrum would be the same as smelting Valorite.

Additionally
Special Tools would be required to work with and have a chance to obtain these new ores.

> Adroit Mining Gloves.
These special Gloves when worn will give the miner a chance at obtaining the rare ores as outline above. These gloves would have charges that are consumed with every mining strike, regardless of ore outcome. Once the Charges have been used up the gloves will become destroyed and disappear.

These gloves would be available for 250 Donation coins each, with 1000 charges. Additionally lower tier gloves of random charges not exceeding 200 could be found as rare loot from various mobs or even added as BOD rewards.

> Adroit Smithing hammer of <rare ore>
For each of the new ore types listed above there would be a special Smithing hammer of that ore type IE: "Adroit Smithing hammer of Electrum" , The hammer itself would be in the special hue of its type for easy reference. For a smith to work with any of the special ores listed above, he would require a hammer of that ore type. IE: to work with "Electrum Ingots" the smith would require an "Adroit Smithing hammer of Electrum" and so on. These hammers would have very limited use's.

Each of the hammers for every ore type can be purchased for 1000 donation coins each and come with only 10 charges. Additionally like Adroit Gloves these can also be found as rare loot from mobs or as new BOD rewards, But can only be found as single use versions.

The logic behind adding these new tools is to make a popular additional method for Server net sustainability. However making them also available as rare loot drop limited versions still allows for natural game progression.

Indeed some of the colors I have suggested may be whacky and over the top .. but As ever single version of UO from OSI to UOF has shown , that the mass's love this stuff its like crack candy , and I am also one of those pixle crack junkys who fall for it.

Bonus !!! ores I thought cool and would love to see but not sure where to put them:

2n9izci.png

52jaew.png

Blackmartin

Grandmaster
Well I love the colors!! It would be badass just to have a few of these to craft deco armor sets. But 4 per type of ore might add a few to many types to keep track of ;)

amonseti

Grandmaster
Well I love the colors!! It would be badass just to have a few of these to craft deco armor sets. But 4 per type of ore might add a few to many types to keep track of ;)
Ahh but the idea is the tier 1 colors would be extreamly rare.. im thinking it would take a hell of alot of luck and time to get enough ore just to make a gorget ..
Certainly dont want these common place .

Lyxx

Expert
I love it!! Want the pink ones :D It could also be implemented as a special event, like a week only. Or a week once in a while...

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Idea Alert @Shane @Adam @eppy @halygon

This is an Old Idea I had sometime ago that I originally posted in this thread . And was brought up recently again. So I would like to take the Chance to elaborate a little more on it . The basics of my ideas remain the same as follows:

Based on your mining skill passed 100 there would be 4 new rarity tiers of ores that have a chance to be mined up during the regular mining process..
Tiers are as follows:
Tier 4 chance, requires 105 mining skill (5% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Tier 3 chance, requires 110 mining skill (3% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Tier 2 chance, requires 115 mining skill (2% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Tier 1 chance, requires 120 mining skill (1% chance to be pulled instead of base ore)
Each Ore type mined has a rare ore type in one of these tiers that have a chance to be obtained
as follows

:: Disclaimer:: For all you arm chair metallurgists out there, I tried to stay true to actually ore color . but in many cases I have deviated a little to considerably . A lot of real world ores are silverish in color and well just needed something different .. Hell some of these metals dont even have a solid state at room temperature .. Just putting it out there that this is not intended to be scientifically accurate of the metals ive represented .. :p

an "Iron node" Has a chance to Produce:

T4 = Aluminum, T3 = Nickle, T2 = Steel, T1 = Brass
2vht4l4.png
508x4.png

an "Dull Copper node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Lead", T3 = "Tin", T2 = "Zinc", T1 = "Carbon"
2r6l5rq.png
sm86ld.png

an "Shadow node" Has a chance to Produce:

T4 = "Wrought Iron", T3 = "Wrought Steel", T2 = "Wrought Brass", T1 = "Black Gold" (*no not oil silly)
29w1uet.png
2n246dj.png

an "Copper node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Molybdenum", T3 = "Nikolite", T2 = "Chromium", T1 = "Ancient Copper"
15xagzt.png
6oe4vl.png

a "Bronze node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Ardite", T3 = "Dull Titanium", T2 = "Titanium", T1 = "Admantium"
2ecjbs8.png
350rlg1.png

a "Gold node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Pyrite", T3 = "Pure Silver", T2 = "Pure Gold", T1 = "Pure Platinum"
2mhbjfm.png
2dgvvdd.png

an "Agapite node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Blood Iron", T3 = "Cinnabar", T2 = "Tungsten", T1 = "Phoenix gold"
wan8zl.png
2mg1561.png

a "Verite node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Dull Gold", T3 = "Vanadium", T2 = "Mercury" *, T1 = "Uranium"
2h6sxlk.png
2ih1quv.png

a "Valorite node" Has a chance to Produce:
T4 = "Cobalt", T3 = "Frost Iron", T2 = "Deistic Gold", T1 = "Electrum"
11hs0wp.png
30vnqdv.png

Blacksmithing with these rare ores would also require the proper skill. ie T1 ore's require 105 Blacksmithy to T4 requiring 120 smithing min to work with it . Only smithing items can be made with this new ore.

Smelting the ore however would not change the tier would follow its base ore type for smelting Success. IE smelting Electrum would be the same as smelting Valorite.

Additionally
Special Tools would be required to work with and have a chance to obtain these new ores.

> Adroit Mining Gloves.
These special Gloves when worn will give the miner a chance at obtaining the rare ores as outline above. These gloves would have charges that are consumed with every mining strike, regardless of ore outcome. Once the Charges have been used up the gloves will become destroyed and disappear.

These gloves would be available for 250 Donation coins each, with 1000 charges. Additionally lower tier gloves of random charges not exceeding 200 could be found as rare loot from various mobs or even added as BOD rewards.

> Adroit Smithing hammer of <rare ore>
For each of the new ore types listed above there would be a special Smithing hammer of that ore type IE: "Adroit Smithing hammer of Electrum" , The hammer itself would be in the special hue of its type for easy reference. For a smith to work with any of the special ores listed above, he would require a hammer of that ore type. IE: to work with "Electrum Ingots" the smith would require an "Adroit Smithing hammer of Electrum" and so on. These hammers would have very limited use's.

Each of the hammers for every ore type can be purchased for 1000 donation coins each and come with only 10 charges. Additionally like Adroit Gloves these can also be found as rare loot from mobs or as new BOD rewards, But can only be found as single use versions.

The logic behind adding these new tools is to make a popular additional method for Server net sustainability. However making them also available as rare loot drop limited versions still allows for natural game progression.

Indeed some of the colors I have suggested may be whacky and over the top .. but As ever single version of UO from OSI to UOF has shown , that the mass's love this stuff its like crack candy , and I am also one of those pixle crack junkys who fall for it.

Bonus !!! ores I thought cool and would love to see but not sure where to put them:

2n9izci.png

52jaew.png

Extremely well thought out post and a really cool idea... A++++

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
Wearing lead and mercury armour should have a random chance of lethally poisoning you. Uranium sounds fun as well.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
I love the idea about new ores, but i would think they would make them like LJ, extremely low chance to dig them up and only past 101 skill and only like 3-4 new types, thats a lot to remember 4 types per ore :confused:

amonseti

Grandmaster
Please Keep it a little more constructive..
There is no such thing as an idea thats good to go on the very first draft.. I think many of us would like new content especially if it aids the community and server longevity with a reason for people to want to spend Donation currency ..

With constructive feed back im very open to modifications on this idea, in fact I already have a few ideas ill post about later on. once I have given this thought more time to ruminate.

Once again I want to make it clear I intend for these new ores to be VERY rare.. The original rarity chances I suggested are just that , but im certain need to be tweaked for an even more rare chance at getting these "RARE" ores presented ..

Now besides the rarity there are alot of hurdles a crafter would have to go thru to get these new ores ..
IE: I will once again use Electrum as my case study,

So you want to make an Electrum plate chest .. well this is what you would need to do that ..

First the crafter would need 120 mining for a chance at successfully digging up Electrum ore , and they would also require the Adroit pick axe they purchased from the dono vendor for 250 dono, and if luck with the 1000 swings they might find 1 electrum ore , if not then they need to spend another 250 dono for another pick axe for another 1000 swings ..

The crafter would need to continue doing this until they have enough Electrum ore to make the plate chest . thats 25 ingots. In my mind I would like to see the rarity of such ore to be valued at around 500k per ingot so the total value of enough ore to make a single plate chest would be around 12.5 mil

Ok so lets say the crafter has obtained enough ore to make the plate chest . They will now need to purchase an Adroit Smithing hammer of Electrum from the dono vendor for 1000 dono , And have 120 skill in Blacksmithy .
And now they can craft it. at 120 smithy you will not fail at making the Plate however you only have a 64% chance of it being exceptional.

So yeah thats quite a bit for just a single piece of armor.
In so doing tho the crafter has just put at min 1250 dono coins which would be exceptionally lucky baring near impossible to require just the 1 pick and hammer .

< Checklist >
[ ] - 120 mining
[ ] - 120 blacksmithy
[ ] - at least 1 Adroit pick axe
[ ] - Adroit Smithing hammer of Electrum
[ ] - Alot of luck.

This, instead of simply just buying aesthetic armor from the dono vendor for 5k+ dono , lets make it an achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:

amonseti

Grandmaster
I love the idea about new ores, but i would think they would make them like LJ, extremely low chance to dig them up and only past 101 skill and only like 3-4 new types, thats a lot to remember 4 types per ore :confused:

Right , and thank you for the constructive feed back :). Essentially this falls in line with an alternative to my idea I was thinking of..

Basically instead of what I have originally suggested , we could select 1 of the 4 for Each base ore as a single rare ore type for that metal . doing away with tiers . instead each level in increments of 5 skill beyond 100 increases your chance to get the rare ore .

Im at work now and will elaborate on this a little more later ..

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
what if you increased the drop rate slightly so the ore is more attainable, greater than .01 percent chance at tier 4?(tier numbers are confusing as they were switched up) lowest tier*. but in doing this the tiers could produce better and more useful armor. Im thinking lowest tier can include 1 type of elemental resistance, 2nd lowest have 2, next up you can have 3 with the chance of poison resistance (poison would only be on top 2 ranks of ore) and the top ore which would be that less than .01% would naturally have all resists on it. and each resist based on tier level would have a range it could obtain of resistances so nothing is flat the same every time.

Edit: they wouldn't be game breaking resistances but 5-15% at max maybe?

amonseti

Grandmaster
what if you increased the drop rate slightly so the ore is more attainable, greater than .01 percent chance at tier 4?(tier numbers are confusing as they were switched up) lowest tier*. but in doing this the tiers could produce better and more useful armor. Im thinking lowest tier can include 1 type of elemental resistance, 2nd lowest have 2, next up you can have 3 with the chance of poison resistance (poison would only be on top 2 ranks of ore) and the top ore which would be that less than .01% would naturally have all resists on it. and each resist based on tier level would have a range it could obtain of resistances so nothing is flat the same every time.

The thought of this had crossed my mind , however I strayed away from it as people are very VERY resistant to anything that effects the actual game play. So I limited the idea to just being visual eye candy . but keeping in mind we want these to be rare so not everyone is running around in Uraniam armor . :)

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
So I limited the idea to just being visual eye candy . but keeping in mind we want these to be rare so not everyone is running around in Uraniam armor
i had the feeling about that, but for 5M for some armor people may want some functionality too lol. oh and my idea for the increased drop wasn't big like 4/1000 for lowest tier and .5/1000 for highest tier ( if they had resistances)

amonseti

Grandmaster
i had the feeling about that, but for 5M for some armor people may want some functionality too lol. oh and my idea for the increased drop wasn't big like 4/1000 for lowest tier and .5/1000 for highest tier ( if they had resistances)
Indeed . The metrics all need to be flushed out, The numbers I suggested were just off the top of my head .. and would need a bit more research and hashing .

Tantreghan

Grandmaster
Sounds fun but that's allot of freaking metal. +1 on da camo! Add it in cloth too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Star

Grandmaster
I like the idea but the amount of different ores is too high. I think it is best to keep it around the same number we currently have. Maybe slightly more.

halygon

Grandmaster
I like the thoughtfulness you put into this idea because there are so many threads that are just like "add rare color ingots, now!" and never go into detail.

That said, I have a few concerns about this idea.

1. As said above, there are quite a few hues you got picked out there. Don't get me wrong some of them hues are pretty sweet (I mean mithril- damn!). I just don't think a lot of those colors work with the feel we want on UOF. Maybe more toned down hues?
  2. Too many ingot types. As said above also, maybe suggest just one alternative color for each ingot. Too many ingot types mean that trying to track down others with the correct ingot to trade and get what you need will be pretty painful.
  3. Crafting is already a fairly complex process for most new players, I think adding this on, although it is obviously more end game, might be adding too much complexity. I get having all of these things like a pickaxe, hammer, and gloves adds to the rarity, but I think rarity can come in less complex ways.
  4. We do have a lot of players that like to wear deco items worth millions, however almost all of those items are blessed. Having wearables that are multi-million gold items that cannot be blessed probably will not be worn much or used at all.
Overall, I like the idea and getting rare hue'd ore while mining for the normal ones, but the idea needs to be tweaked some more.