Reagent Bag (Blessed)

Undeadenemy

Neophyte
One of the most annoying things about Magery is reagents. Obviously, reagents are in the game because they are a money sink, and that I understand. Still, losing all your reagents every time you die makes things a little more annoying than I think is necessary.

I know some of you are already typing up your reply, having read the title and nothing further, but for those of you still listening, here is what I propose. Another Shard I played on a long time ago had something similar to this, though with fewer restrictions on it than I plan to propose.

Blessed Reagent Bag:

• Holds up to 43 stone (the weight of 50 of each reagent) (25 of each would also be great).
  • Blessed (that's the point of it)
  • Only accepts reagents.
  • Max 1 bag per account
  • Players found with multiple bags on the same account would be banned.
  • Bags given to all accounts currently on the shard through a redemption dialog.
  • New accounts receive the bag in their "Welcome Bag" (the current reagent bag being changed to blessed would do the trick).
The shard I played on before had these "Newbie Bags" in them. On that shard they held a lot more weight however, and weren't restricted to reagents. That was also not a PVP shard. Given the cut-throat nature of UOF, I would say that these bags could work here, but obviously need the additional restrictions I mentioned so that people cannot hide their valuable loot in them.

As far as max weight is concerned, allowing 50 of each reagent could arguably be too much. I would be happy with 25 of each even. Just something so that when you rez you aren't stuck in the middle of the wilderness completely screwed. it's really for the same reason spell books and rune books are blessed.

Being able to safely carry a small number of reagents isn't a bad thing I don't think. Limiting the weight the bag holds and keeping it restricted to reagents would mean that long-haul dungeon crawlers would need to carry additional bags (which would be vulnerable to looting/loss) or make frequent trips back to town. The purpose of the bag isn't to allow people to carry all their supplies with impunity, as much as it is to provide a small safety net for when you die out in the middle of nowhere.

Undeadenemy

Neophyte
That's the thing. It's only a sink if no one retrieves the corpse. It isn't a sink at all if the reagents simply change hands from one player to another :) Gotta read more than the title (and I need to change the title to Reagent BAG (Blessed), rather than Reagent (Blessed) lol).

Winstonian

Grandmaster
blessed reg bag - lol.

probably one of the same idiots gunning for perma statloss.
Being a red is so damn unfair: ganking PvM chars is just your form of RPing. Thank goodness we have Rammel here to help these poor reds out.

(No to the OP.)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Kraden

Grandmaster
Dude if you want everything to be blessed cause ur sick of paying the whopping 3 gp than go play a noob server man. Cant believe youd even say blessed reg bag. Play thegame and stop crying or go play mario party on the wii or something

BillyZane

Neophyte
Yeah this is almost as bad as insurance on LRC/LRM items. Keep this shard where it is. The other frees out there are a little ghetto.

Skoar.mobile

Only way i could see it working and MAYBE being accepted by the community would be 5 of each reg in the bag and it takes 3 regs for 1 reg, thus, eliminating the "gold sink" issue.
I would certainly like this, but it is essentially "insurance" for regs. So meh =/

Edit for typo and clarity

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

wreckognize

Grandmaster
OP are you familiar with razor agents?
such as organizer?
it may help to read the guides on using razor or watch the video i think Alan made

Terrible idea. There's just no reason for it other than to reduce PK reward, and that just leads down a slippery slope to more trammelish ideas, doesn't it? There are already blessed runebooks. If you die, find the nearest healer and runebook your way to a bank or house for more reagents.

Frankly, I think you shouldn't be getting PKed that much to make reagent loss such a big issue. Reagents means you're a mage. Learn how to run, dodge, and recall. There's a thread dedicated to defending against PKs.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Terrible idea. There's just no reason for it other than to reduce PK reward, and that just leads down a slippery slope to more trammelish ideas, doesn't it? There are already blessed runebooks. If you die, find the nearest healer and runebook your way to a bank or house for more reagents.

Frankly, I think you shouldn't be getting PKed that much to make reagent loss such a big issue. Reagents means you're a mage. Learn how to run, dodge, and recall. There's a thread dedicated to defending against PKs.
Lets unless spellbooks as well. (I'd seriously be for this.)

Lets unless spellbooks as well. (I'd seriously be for this.)

Why? What would that add to the game? Even PKs wouldn't have a use for tons of full spellbooks. Theoretically, if this were to happen, the value of full spellbooks would go way down, but this really just hurts scribers instead of rewarding anyone with anything.

I don't shy away from way out ideas. I just don't get that one. Going off-topic a bit, too...

I think blessed items are fine the way they are. I could see more blessed reward-type items for show, with no real gameplay value. People really dig those, and even this early into the shard's development I can see the economy is flooded with too much gold and too many hoarders. I mean, when someone can just shovel out 2 million GP for a specially colored hat, it makes you wonder. I'm sure there are some good ways of resolving these economic issues, but something like a blessed reagent bag isn't one of them.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Why? What would that add to the game? Even PKs wouldn't have a use for tons of full spellbooks. Theoretically, if this were to happen, the value of full spellbooks would go way down, but this really just hurts scribers instead of rewarding anyone with anything.

I don't shy away from way out ideas. I just don't get that one. Going off-topic a bit, too...

I think blessed items are fine the way they are. I could see more blessed reward-type items for show, with no real gameplay value. People really dig those, and even this early into the shard's development I can see the economy is flooded with too much gold and too many hoarders. I mean, when someone can just shovel out 2 million GP for a specially colored hat, it makes you wonder. I'm sure there are some good ways of resolving these economic issues, but something like a blessed reagent bag isn't one of them.
I just sort of hate how people call ideas "trammelish" when similar ideas are already implemented. And, anyway, a legitimate dexer weapon is 5-10k... forcing mages to track down a spellbook wouldn't be all that unreasonable.

Disagree with me and I'll call your response "trammelish", because that's how these conversations work. (I guess.)

Trammel is full protection against getting PKed, any shard implementation that works towards that goal would be Trammelish. It's not an inappropriate use of the made up word. Really, what "similar" trammel ideas have been implemented here? I see an overwhelming amount of posts complaining about PKs, so there's obviously enough serious risk and penalty while hunting on this shard, maintaining the feel of an old-school shard.

I understand your argument with dexxer weapons, but I still don't see it justifying unblessing spellbooks. This is coming from someone with a Dex/Alchy/Poisoner and Alchy/Stun Mage. A vanquishing weapon is understandably powerful on its own without any costly maintanence, while a spellbook requires reagents to have any functionality whatsoever. Again, this would only hurt scribes while adding nothing to the shard's overall atmosphere.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Trammel is full protection against getting PKed, any shard implementation that works towards that goal would be Trammelish. It's not an inappropriate use of the made up word. Really, what "similar" trammel ideas have been implemented here? I see an overwhelming amount of posts complaining about PKs, so there's obviously enough serious risk and penalty while hunting on this shard, maintaining the feel of an old-school shard.

I understand your argument with dexxer weapons, but I still don't see it justifying unblessing spellbooks. This is coming from someone with a Dex/Alchy/Poisoner and Alchy/Stun Mage. A vanquishing weapon is understandably powerful on its own without any costly maintanence, while a spellbook requires reagents to have any functionality whatsoever. Again, this would only hurt scribes while adding nothing to the shard's overall atmosphere.
You first used the word "trammelish" about the OPs post, which was blessing a pouch for a small amount of regs. I'm saying that, to avoid being "trammelish", let's unbless other things.

For the record: I don't actually expect spellbooks to be unblessed. I just don't see how the stance isn't similar.

Lastly, I think it would benefit scribes. Sure, prices would drop a bit, but they'd get far more orders for spellbooks (and scroll drops would increase in value).

I think you need a lesson in basic economics if you think it would benefit scribes. Demand would go up, but so would supply. We both know it would never happen here, anyway. And it seems like you're just trolling at this point instead of addressing the bigger issue. You also haven't responded to a single one of my points, each of which is relevant.