Reddit and UOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramtha

Journeyman
The MOD over on /r/ultimaonline decided to remove our server because of a couple complaints on self promotions.

Crazy considering UOF is the most popular private server.

Let's go to the thread and show out support! Be polite and intelligent please! And PM that MOD to let them know we believe this is unfair.

LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!~
http://www.reddit.com/r/ultimaonlin..._post_community_thoughts_on_server_promotion/

Copy of original post as mod deleted thread:

Hi everyone. I've recieved a few PMs recently expressing discontent about the volume of promotional spam, there was one particular server mentioned quite a lot more than others, and after looking into this I have decided to remove it from the sidebar.

I wanted to put up this post to collect thoughts on how we should handle self-promotion, and what is considered acceptable.

This sub should be a place for discussion, nostalgia and of course finding places to play, and people to play with, however many of the posts I'm seeing are promoting one server or another, though not yet to the detriment of discussion quality I believe.

Edit: Yes the shard was UOF. Reason being a high amount of copy-pasting content between this sub and other subs, and a reasonable amount of hi-jacking. The primary reason is the volume of complaints however.

I've told those of you who have approached me directly that I will consider re-instating.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, Shane really shouldnt be posting Ads for events and expansions straight to the subreddit, it looks bad on the server.

He should 100% be active in that subreddit when people have questions about UOF but he shouldnt be posting what are basically ads.

If I was the mod I wouldnt have taken it off the side bar but I for sure would have told shane to stop.

Ramtha

Journeyman
Sure, everyone has an opinion. We can agree that it should not have been taken off without a prior discussion.

Ramtha

Journeyman
Mod response "If the community wants it back, I'll consider it. 50+ complaints about the server and content spam in 3 weeks is enough for me to doubt the quality of the server."

But on original post he said " a few" complaints.

Anyways, looks like he deleted the thread, I will monitor over next 48 hours if the sidebar changes back.

Half the accounts I see shitting in every thread mentioning UOF are dummy accounts. The mod sounds like hes got an axe to grind and just doesn't want support UOF.

Ramtha

Journeyman
Half the accounts I see shitting in every thread mentioning UOF are dummy accounts. The mod sounds like hes got an axe to grind and just doesn't want support UOF.
Thats exactly it. I had to PM every week for almost 2 months before it even made it to the sidebar. I am thinking the timing of the IPY3 launch and this are a little too convenient.

S

Shane

Carl knew someone at Reddit and it has been handled, i believe that mod that did that to us was relieved of his//her duties.

S

Shane

To be fair, Shane really shouldnt be posting Ads for events and expansions straight to the subreddit, it looks bad on the server.

He should 100% be active in that subreddit when people have questions about UOF but he shouldnt be posting what are basically ads.

If I was the mod I wouldnt have taken it off the side bar but I for sure would have told shane to stop.

I've been pretty active to the subreddit.
I goto it almost daily.
Our posts on the subreddit had the highest comments and activity.
We have ALWAYS 100% supported that subreddit.
I don't think i really did anything that other servers didn't do as far as i knew.
They have 711 readers, we have 5000+ forum signups here, and over 20,000+hits a month on our website which is much more than that subreddit would get. Meaning by us supporting them, we are actually advertising that subreddit, which advertises other servers etc...

In the end we were doing the favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.