Sorry!

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
Nerf city!
I propose nerfing the AR of armor made with barbed, horned or spined leather down to that of plain leather. I also propose adding -dex modifiers to ALL blacksmith'd armor. i.e. Ringmail would ofcourse take the least dex away from the wearer, while plate takes the most.

This would bring us closer to the system they had in UOR. Colored leather and light dexxer suits with no -dex are too strong and need to go away.

Pros:

• Dexxers will use studded leather/metal armor, so they can rock more than the 12 or so AR that plain leather provides
  • All smithed armor will become more relevant!
Except coifs. Ew.
  • Dexxers will be more encouraged to PvP, as mages will be appropriately squishy again!
  • Won't effect tailor BODs(as opposed to removing colored leather altogether)
  • More "UOR accurate"
  • Happy crafters(weee variety!)
Cons:

• Tailors may sell less armor
  • Change(scary)
  • Barbed leather farming will stop except for BODs and roleplaying.

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
I read this through twice and I gotta say, I don't understand how you classify any of those as "Pros".

I mean, Cool, less AR given by armor -- Gotcha - means that dexxors will no longer hit for 5 hp consistently and that if you do have 50 AR, it will really mean something.

• But make different leathers have the same AR? Kinda backtracking through UO history eh?
  • More -dex modifiers? No way -- with the way mind blast currently works. Plus the system in place now makes more types of armor useful.
  • Smithed armor become relevant? For serious players -- they will always use magic stuff. But in reality, I have no problem selling smithed armor right now. In fact, I cannot even keep my vendor stocked half the time as it sells too fast.
  • Tailors may sell less armor? What else do they have to sell? This pretty much makes Tailors worthless except for BoDs.

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
I read this through twice and I gotta say, I don't understand how you classify any of those as "Pros".
I was half asleep at the time--up for 36 hours. I guess I just had to post that right away. I do goofy shit poorly when I'm sleep deprived. I suppose it's time to also rewrite that... Sorry to everybody that's read it so far.

edit: FFS, I read that as "Prose"

• But make different leathers have the same AR? Kinda backtracking through UO history eh?
Exactly!

More -dex modifiers? No way -- with the way mind blast currently works. Plus the system in place now makes more types of armor useful.

I can't comment on mindblast. But how about this: what about platemail and studded armor? NOBODY uses it. All types of armor were used pre-aos because they all had a purpose. Right now's system is just cheater leather(left over from AoS and kept around for BODs) and "couldn't hurt" light dexxer suits, which I'm greatful for, but I WANT IT ALL!!

Like it or not: it's a fact that this system is neither pre or post-AoS; It's an abomination that ignots 50% of armor options. Applying -dex modifiers to ALL metal armor and turning leather armor into toilet paper will put things as they were pre-AoS.
  • Smithed armor become relevant? For serious players -- they will always use magic stuff. But in reality, I have no problem selling smithed armor right now. In fact, I cannot even keep my vendor stocked half the time as it sells too fast.
Can't argue against the magic armor comment. But I was referring to ringmail, light dexxer, heavy dexxer and platemail suits serving a purpose instead of it just being a goofy option. Let me know when you sell a suit of valorite full platemail for 30k.

What else do they have to sell? This pretty much makes Tailors worthless except for BoDs.

Operative word being "less," that means they'll get their appropriate market share: mages and dexxers that want to hit at top speeds without being completely naked will buy leather and studded, respectively.

Oh, and thanks for responding.

halygon

Grandmaster
I can't comment on mindblast. But how about this: what about platemail and studded armor? NOBODY uses it. All types of armor were used pre-aos because they all had a purpose. Right now's system is just cheater leather(left over from AoS and kept around for BODs) and "couldn't hurt" light dexxer suits, which I'm greatful for, but I WANT IT ALL!!
Well studded armor has never (even t2a and pre-t2a days) been useful unless its magic. On the same page, full platemail neither. I remember during t2a days that the only folks wearing full plate were those that were role playing knights. The amount of dex that plate takes has always been too much to make it worthwhile as armor. No matter what you do, those two armor types probably will never be useful. On another note, I fully agree that the leather armor here has a ridiculously high AR total (31!!)

Like it or not: it's a fact that this system is neither pre or post-AoS; It's an abomination that ignots 50% of armor options. Applying -dex modifiers to ALL metal armor and turning leather armor into toilet paper will put things as they were pre-AoS.
I am not sure about the -dex mods but tuning down all AR levels might just be a brilliant idea - and easy to implement.

Can't argue against the magic armor comment. But I was referring to ringmail, light dexxer, heavy dexxer and platemail suits serving a purpose instead of it just being a goofy option. Let me know when you sell a suit of valorite full platemail for 30k.
GM made ringmail, light dexxer and heavy dexxor suits sell great right now. Colored armor never sells great except for shadow (because the price is only slightly more than iron and it looks cool). A set of valorite anything is hard to sell. Granted for a while there I was using a valorite plate + Ringmail combination for PvP on my dexxor and got a nice little 63 AR from it with only -8dex. It really is too expensive to do that on a norm though.

Operative word being "less," that means they'll get their appropriate market share: mages and dexxers that want to hit at top speeds without being completely naked will buy leather and studded, respectively.
I guess my point is that if GM leather is that weak, I will almost always use magic leather armor to keep ahead.

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
The amount of dex that plate takes has always been too much to make it worthwhile as armor. No matter what you do, those two armor types probably will never be useful.
Eh, if memory serves correctly... actually hold on, I'll test it:

A fresh suit of GM plate is 48 AR and takes away 17 dex.
A fresh suit of GM valorite, light dexxer is 52(-1 dex currently; up from 36 AR from iron).

IMO, if everybody was suffering a dex loss except people with <18 AR, platemail would become attractive. And, at least on AOL Legends, lots of people rocked platemail. That and GM weapons were #1 realestate on crafter vendors.
Personally, I remember wearing full platemail at destard and daemon temple back in the day. I actually lost a suit of vert heavy dexxer the day AoS came out because I tried to go back to my old routine at daemon temple.

Oh, and it'd cost less to pvp too: most people would still wear leather/studded(or just run nude) as all that shit would come from cows. Only the super confident and the stupid would bring nice armor to the field.

Oh, and I should add that this shouldn't just make everybody run around naked. It would work like rock, paper, scissors: high dex dexxer > mage > high AR dexxer > high dex dexxer... USUALLY