• AYE!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • NAY!

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

lumberjohn

Apprentice
Hi all,

Slight rant, I play as mainly five PKS, my main ones being Lumber John, Explosion Pot, and Grime MC.

Although recently joining a guild with my rl friend, I mainly play alone as we are from the UK so time difference.

I join guild for champs and group fighting, but i dont go out pking en masse.

I play a solo PK, and anyone who has encountered me is immediately rezed, and not looted unless its extremely nessecary.

I feel solo PKS are an important part of UO and what has always made it special with the risk and reward. A good Solo PK brings excitement, adds risk and keeps people playing.

A group, or negative bad PKS, drive people away.

Today, after hiding by shadow demons in wait for some time, I kill a TAMER but notice their spider might die, so I set about ressing the tamer and helping their pet (they already got killed, loosing their pet too is a bit much).

I was then poisoned by a christmas paragon spider, 15 cure pots didnt do the job, bandage failed.. dead.

I was then statted by a new guy and thats my fave character gone for a few days.

Fait enough, spawn targets me first, so I might be insta killed by fireballs.. but when that happens I cant play the damn game!

Surely theres another way.

One way I thought of is that group pks largely dont rez, and run off to the next.

Maybe a timer activated after a red kills an innocent, and if he rezs them, and continues such behaviors, he cannot be statted or head cut?

SECONDLY, i had a suggestion that I ran past some guildmates and they thought it was a good idea.

In PVP there are slight variations but the one thing thats common is that MOST pvp is focused around explosion pots, alchemy, and stun.

Stun alchy mage (Best Offence) Stun heal mage (best defence) Dexxers (with poison or alchemy or hide).

Thats it.

And all pvp involves alot of running, and pots - not that appealing to newer pvpers.

What I THINK we should try, is bringing back INSTA HIT.

In that one change, all of pvp opens up, players will return to try it out, and there will be variation on the field.

TANK MAGES wont have alchy damage, but they will be VIABLE again, and can focus on high damage kill combos rather than drawn out cross country marathons.

Archer Mages will enter the fray..

We will see the sight of halberd mages (as we should) once more, the most stylish and skillfull of templates.

Battles will be decided by not ONLY the lucky stun or the well placed pot, but also a well timed and lucky heavy blow of a weapon.

This in turn will give a new desire and value to vanq weapons as well which I have seen been practically given away.

I would love to see how the most skillful tank mage can do against the most skillful alchy stun, if insta hit was enabled.

Sorry if its a bit long!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

lumberjohn

Apprentice
Slight addition, upon consideration, and I think this would be a REALLY viable answer - easy to implement and fair.

Hopefully any other solo PKS could back this up, but..

In retrospect, the one minute timer after a PK kills somone, which is enabled if the killer REZS the killed player within that minute, is a good idea but a bit far fetched.

As a solo PK my original rant was being statted due to dying to poison of OP spider. I can also say that 70% plus of the times i die as a solo PK is to either spawn (as mentioned in OP) including fireballs. And pets of tamers who kill me whilst honorably defending their master, which happens alot if the tamer spends a actual minute practising not panicing and survial techniques.

So maybe you cannot cut head of a PK that died to a pet or spawn?

This wont affect the deaths of personal fights and guild wars wheres its more personal and beneficial.

"You honor defies you to behead this corpse, it was slain by beast"

or something like that..

Also insta hit!

Also what I failed to mention about Insta Hit is that is it part of UO.

Part of the game alot of ppl love, and taking that away and leaving people with the only option of incorporating explosion pots is DRIVING people away.

I didnt even see them USED in the UO that myself and thousands of others love.

Not only that, adding insta hit makes no balance difference at all, dexers wont benefit, nothing changes, the only thing changes is that tank mages can now compete and the whole field is more varied than a bunch of explosion pots everywhere.

PS: I have a character called an explosion pot, I have nothing against them and they balance out the pvp in a good way, for mobile attacks, but lord allmighy lets bring bank the PANZERS

MERRY XMAS

Last edited:

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
This is something we will be able to test "on the fly" if we want to with Tony's new updates he's been working (for months) on. We will basically be able to change any damage, swing, of any weapon and delays. We will be able to give players the ability to run their own instance, make their own rulesets just for testing things. It's a massive update and its much needed to take this core further into the future.