Tamer / Provo question

Zizmuffin

Adept
I haven't played a tamer, or really provo, in about 13 years, so I'm a shade rusty.

I've spent a lot of time recently checking out a lot of the posts related to this topic, but I just have a few things I would like someone to expand on if at all possible.

The general consensus for a template seems to be mage / medi / taming / lore / vet / provo / music.

Being out of the taming business for so long, I'm just wondering what the practical applications for some of these skills really are. I understand what all of them do, so that's not what I mean, I guess I'm just looking for the reasoning behind that template.

I imagine magery is being used exclusively for powerful heals, cures, gate(if pets not bonded), and things like EV and/or invisibility.

The biggest thing I'm curious about is if vet is really the be all end all. As I said, I haven't done a tamer in a millions years, so I really don't know. I know you could just as well heal them with magery(assuming they're not getting railroaded, which they probably are on high end mobs), which would free up a spot for resist(only applicable if a PK happens to try and play around with a dude with 2 pets. Or if you're an idiot and fail your provo and/or have your pets just stand there, granting the mob unmitigated access to your butthole) or eval which would only help if you wanted to speed the killing along.

I imagine this is the tried and true template for a reason, I just figured I would voice my concerns and have them pushed aside by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Tamers without vet quickly learn that healing with magery just does not cut it on higher end MOBs. also you will be burning through your healing regs trying to keep pets alive, and will quickly run out of mana, at wich point you are a target for PKs and have no chance of keeping your pets alive, if you don't have vet. also when your pets inevitably die you have to find someone with vet to bring your pets back to life.

In short vet is not required, but if you want to be an effective tamer you will need it.

the provo tamer template has proven to be the most effective template for farming gold and items.

Magery is used for several things healing, invis, and paralyze (for taming) are some of the more common spells. not to mention recall and gate. It also can be used in conjunction with your pets to take out PKs. (i.e. cast FS and say all guard me, then you cast on a PK and your pets will insta attack)

Provo keeps MOBs from doing to much damage to your pets and helps you keep MOBs off you.

There are other templates you can try for tamers but if your looking for the ultimate PVM template stick with Provo tamer.

Zizmuffin

Adept
It's mostly what I figured, I was just looking for some validation from someone who actually plays one, so I appreciate the incite.

I had actually completely forgotten about needing vet to revive a pet. Had I remembered that, I probably wouldn't have even asked, but nonetheless, it's nice to have a little clarity.

Appreciate the incite there fella.