Thief template advice

Cleophus

Expert
I have a 7x gm thief that I'm considering changing. My current skills are:
Stealing, snooping, stealth, hiding, magery, resist and wrestling.
I'm thinking of switching resist and wrestling for tracking and detect hidden.

Are detect hidden and tracking worth it or should I stay with resist and wrestling for survivability?

Cream My Pie

As far as I know, you can use tracking at 0 skill and detect hidden is obsolete w magery's reveal. i'd drop stealth for eval int just in case you feel like fighting back. Keep both resist and wrestling, as if you dropped them you would become a very easy kill, besides that your temp is pretty standard.

Greed

Master
I enjoy my build a lot because I usually successfully steal whatever it is I'm after.

I run with
80 arms lore
80 wrestling
100 hiding
80 stealth
68 meditation
100 snooping
100 stealing
28 resist
92 magery (enables you to cast 6th circle or lower without a scroll 100% of the time)

I can disarm, hide/stealth, snoop/steal, meditate so that I can get full mana pretty quickly after a death, and the resist is a nice cherry on top. Not to mention with that magery I can cast invisibility on myself which is huge because it synergizes with stealth. Also, I have 100 str/65 int/60 dex so I can cast magic reflection and get a couple disarm attempts off. As for tracking and detecting hidden...I think you play a much more combat oriented thief than me. My goal is to get the loot and get away so maybe those are better choices for you~

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkraven

Grandmaster
As far as I know, you can use tracking at 0 skill and detect hidden is obsolete w magery's reveal. i'd drop stealth for eval int just in case you feel like fighting back. Keep both resist and wrestling, as if you dropped them you would become a very easy kill, besides that your temp is pretty standard.

You can use tracking at a small radius at 0 tracking about 50% of the time at gm u can track for 3 screens even more once you are locked onto someone 100% of the time.

also detect is great for revelaing people u can spam it every cpl of secs at no mana cost meaning u have full mana to kill someone with. with magery it is gonna take you 2 cast's of reveal to get someone unhidden as he is gonna instahide after first one.

Saying that you are probably right the 200 point could probably be spent better else where. depends what u hope to accomplish i guess.

SidX

Grandmaster
I have a 7x gm thief that I'm considering changing. My current skills are:
Stealing, snooping, stealth, hiding, magery, resist and wrestling.
I'm thinking of switching resist and wrestling for tracking and detect hidden.

Are detect hidden and tracking worth it or should I stay with resist and wrestling for survivability?
I would definitely gain in Detect even though you can technically cast the Reveal spell.. The benefit of Detect Hidden is that you can use it while hidden. You don't need to come out of hiding to cast and get noticed by someone. So it really has a big benefit for a thief.

Also you can technically use Tracking at 0 skill but it's tough. I'd suggest maybe getting 20 Tracking to give yourself a much better chance of success. GM Tracking is pointless for a thief.

Also I would not drop Stealth. For a thief it's your best defense. Since thieves wear virtually no armor you need Stealth to survive more than two minutes outside of a guard zone (in a champ spawn, etc.).

Personally I'd do:

GM Stealing
GM Snooping
GM Stealth
GM Hiding
GM Magery (if you wanted to keep it, otherwise I'd drop it for GM Resist)
GM Wrestling
20 Tracking
80 Detect Hidden

Basically the difference between this and your current template is dropping GM Resist for 20 Tracking and 80 Detect.

halygon

Grandmaster
You can use tracking at a small radius at 0 tracking about 50% of the time at gm u can track for 3 screens even more once you are locked onto someone 100% of the time.

also detect is great for revelaing people u can spam it every cpl of secs at no mana cost meaning u have full mana to kill someone with. with magery it is gonna take you 2 cast's of reveal to get someone unhidden as he is gonna instahide after first one.

Saying that you are probably right the 200 point could probably be spent better else where. depends what u hope to accomplish i guess.
You can only track within 18 tiles 35 tiles* of you.

*Edit: Updated to correct number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkraven

Grandmaster
im tracking about 35 sqs @gm

yea once u locked on u dont lose quarry for even further too i always run a tracker when i am hunting people at sea

Maria Lewtz

I enjoy my build a lot because I usually successfully steal whatever it is I'm after.

I run with
80 arms lore
80 wrestling
100 hiding
80 stealth
68 meditation
100 snooping
100 stealing
28 resist
92 magery (enables you to cast 6th circle or lower without a scroll 100% of the time)

I can disarm, hide/stealth, snoop/steal, meditate so that I can get full mana pretty quickly after a death, and the resist is a nice cherry on top. Not to mention with that magery I can cast invisibility on myself which is huge because it synergizes with stealth. Also, I have 100 str/65 int/60 dex so I can cast magic reflection and get a couple disarm attempts off. As for tracking and detecting hidden...I think you play a much more combat oriented thief than me. My goal is to get the loot and get away so maybe those are better choices for you~

Seems like a nice template, however its 728 points.
Im trying this one out, with no resist. Do you fail often disarms?

Greed

Master
Seems like a nice template, however its 728 points.
Im trying this one out, with no resist. Do you fail often disarms?

I don't fail too often and sorry about the math... herp derp....meant to say 20 resist because you get the 20 extra points from eating a power scroll. Little bit of a typo there heh heh. I think if you find you're failing too often on the disarms though you could put the 20 resist into wrestling for more success but mainly I go for other things than weapons so its not much of an issue for me. And there's other ways to get a weapon than a disarm, you can for example wait until your opponent recalls and steal it while they are recalling out.

Maria Lewtz

I don't fail too often and sorry about the math... herp derp....meant to say 20 resist because you get the 20 extra points from eating a power scroll. Little bit of a typo there heh heh. I think if you find you're failing too often on the disarms though you could put the 20 resist into wrestling for more success but mainly I go for other things than weapons so its not much of an issue for me. And there's other ways to get a weapon than a disarm, you can for example wait until your opponent recalls and steal it while they are recalling out.

Just pointing that out, i found your post very helpfull and was looking for a template that would give me just that freedom to get my hands on other peoples stuff including disarm and make a successfull getaway.

And my guess is that your template does that effectivelly, im running it same as yourse without resist cuz i cant afford them powerscrolls.

I normally did steal weapons on a template with no disarm (Steal, Snoop, Hide, Magery, Med, Resist, Eval), i took advantage of when dexxers cast reveal on me to snag some weps.

Epic Flail-

Apprentice

I'm Running

Gm
Stealing, Hide
90 Wrestle, Arms Lore, Snoop, Magery
80 Stealth
40 Med
40 Resist (Add +20 via Powerscrolls to get the 40. Otherwise its at 20 Resist) *Edited Here*

Str 95
Dex 50
Int 80

Best template I've ever used, and I've been tinkering with templates on this server since I came here 2841 days ago. No failing anywhere, as far as casting, Hide/Stealth and stealing. Once in a while I'll miss my target, that is just operator error cuz I'm bad at UO. :)

Last edited: