UO:F Exclusive Game - Jousting

If lances were implemented, Would you rather pay Dono, Gold Sink, or make 120 tinkering the crafters

• Donation Coins

• Gold Sink

• 120 Tinkering

• Another way... Carpentry since lances are wooden

Results are only viewable after voting.
Currently The Knights Guild holds a by-weekly jousting tournament for prizes (250k gold to the winner, and sponsors sometimes bring additional armors, weapons, or adds to the pot for prizes). It has been moving pretty strong over the months, but the big hindrance are the weapon skills.

Maces : Crushing blow (ouch)
Swords : I believe Lumberjacking works with Bardiche/Halberds (more ouch)
Fencing : Spears poke like a toothpick, and just paralyzes you from time to time (damn mosquitoes)

Maces have the upper hand in this, but I have won against them with my toothpick. There has been some talk with the staff about getting a new kind of weapon implemented. Lances. I don't know the specifics of how it could be implemented unfortunately because i'm pretty garbage at coding (unless it is a router/switch/firewall), but talks are happening.

Here is my first suggestion:

Don't let it be based off the random number generator to hit with the 50% chance. Instead base it off the Explosion Pot coding where it counts down from 10 instead of 4, but you need to "joust" on a randomly generated number that is displayed prior to the countdowns starting (say anywhere from 1 - 5) to give you a higher chance of hit. This will make hits based a little more off skill, and not just chance. (Sorry if your latency is garbage)
(sorry staff, remember my coding is garbage so i don't know how difficult this could be to implement)

Here is my seconds suggestion:

Lets make them craftable with Tinkers... yeah yeah tinkers aren't smiths, but if a 120 tinker is needed to make lances it would brush the dust off those power scrolls, and possibly drive their value up. Currently the only usefulness of 120 tinkering is the soul forge quest, and making boom boxes.

QrDsxXq.jpg

@Sir. @Shane @eppy

Ace Mason

Apprentice
Not really a fan of the countdown thing. I would say just have it use any weapon skill that a player has GM for the hit roll. Maybe increase the hit chances slightly, but its more fun when there is a random chance in events like this.

Yeah the timer was just another way of trying to get a player skill involved in it. On paper the maces should win every time with how the game is set up now, but fencers seem to hit more often even. Swing time isn't a factor here due to the pauses after each run.

Nekronos

Master
If this wasn't intended as a combat mechanic (force dismount) and was just for game purposes, a Rock Paper Scissors mechanic would be an alternative system to a count down.

Sir.

Grandmaster
Personally, I think whatever is the absolute simplest is going to be the best to start with, just to ensure it's working. I like the "Use Best Weapon Skill" idea, an all-in-one lance that anyone can use who has a weapon skill.

As for how it is made? Well, I can't honestly decide because I've been prepared for all 3 options equally for a long time haha..
1. Dono - make it about 500 dono and anyone can afford this - however, that's 500 dono (about 90k gold) so it better be blessed :p
2. Gold Sink - Not a bad option but the worst of the three I think because we have so many gold sinks out there and NOT a lot of knights have tamers or chars that farm up mils of gold and need to dump it somewhere.
3. Craftable - either let a 70 carpenter make them so they are super available to everyone or allow 120 Tinkers to make them to give the skill more use, either way i'm good with. Reason being is that IF jousting picked up with more than just our guild events (like others started hosting their own tourney's and we formed an Official Jousting League, I think it's value here would be BEST as it adds a very rare and active sport to UOF exclusively.

So, I suppose, my vote would be craftable, as I believe we can inspire enough people to use it to be an effective, and positive, reinforcement to the whole shard's community. More events = more activity = more players, aye? That'd be my logic.

Or to KEEP IT SIMPLE just put it up for 500 dono, get some cash support for the shard out of it, and bless it so i dont lose a 90k gold or 500 dono lance to some jack hole at the event :p

Grug'Bug

Adept
Good idea, maybe the timer could only be implemented in an agreed upon jousting system? Timer causes dismounts, but not damage. You could award points for dismounts and deaths.

Definitely down for the dismounting. It can be something like the "a pile of ice" where you can only throw a snowball at someone that has one in their pack. so the joust lances can only be used if the opponent has one as well to prevent abuse of it in regular pvp. It would be like giving bolas out if it wasnt that way!

Sir.

Grandmaster
Definitely down for the dismounting. It can be something like the "a pile of ice" where you can only throw a snowball at someone that has one in their pack. so the joust lances can only be used if the opponent has one as well to prevent abuse of it in regular pvp. It would be like giving bolas out if it wasnt that way!
Hell yeah, pile of snow style ftw!