1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UO Forever Livestream featuring Raph Koster!

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Faytality, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Faytality

Faytality Moderator Staff Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Fayette, Faycetious, Faytality, Johanna
    [​IMG]
    On Sunday, April 29th, 2018: 7 PM CENTRAL
    Ultima Online Forever will be hosting none other than Raph Koster!
    For those who may not know here is some insight:
    Raphael "Raph" Koster is an American entrepreneur, game designer, and author of A Theory of Fun for Game Design. Koster is widely recognized for his work as the lead designer of Ultima Online and the creative director behind Star Wars Galaxies. From 2006 until 2013 he worked as the founder and president of Metaplace (previously operating as Areae and acquired by social gaming company Playdom in 2010, which was in turn acquired by Disney) producing a Facebook game platform.

• There will be a question and answer period with Raph! Feel free to respond to this thread if you have a question you may want to ask him.
    • Raph will join us in game, on video and audio.
    • There will be events happening during his entire visit.
    • The entire event will be streamed over twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/ultimaonlineforever2
    • If you have any questions for Raph, please reply/post them below!

PLEASE BE ADVISED AS A WARNING: Anyone caught trying to purposely disrupt, grief, ruin, player kill or are otherwise negative towards what we are trying to do with this event will face being fire-walled, and WILL BE banished from Ultima Online Forever's community and game for the in going future.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
    Xiulan, Bobby123, Ms BabyDoll and 6 others like this.
  2. Decoy

Decoy Grandmaster

Dec 19, 2013
    From a technical standpoint, what was the most challenging aspect of Ultima Online to implement?

Ms BabyDoll and Shane like this.
  3. gimgimal

gimgimal Neophyte

Feb 4, 2014
    gimgimal, preste
    Please explain the difficulties in implementing Open World environment in online games. I am afraid that I will not be able to see the broadcast, so please post your answer on this homepage. my english is translate thx

Ms BabyDoll likes this.
  4. wezart

wezart Neophyte

Nov 3, 2014
    Wez'art
    Silver Walbass
    Hurricane.
    Alexis Walbass
    Roy Walbass
    Wezart
    Dagon Walbass
    In the early 2000 most of people from the video games industry were saying that the biggest mistake of Ultima Online was the player killing stuff. Allowing players to kill other players and loot their stuff was ruining the game. But I remember you at the Game Develeppers Conference (GDC) in San Jose (around 2002) saying that you disagree with that statement. Is it still the case? And can you elaborate on the subject?

Ms BabyDoll and Tahuk like this.
  5. Tahuk

Tahuk Apprentice

Aug 29, 2016
    Raph do you think it would be possible to implement virtual ecology in Ultima Online back then if the team tried more?

Ms BabyDoll likes this.
  6. Franco Harris

Franco Harris Adept

Mar 4, 2013
    ralph how did uo go from being the biggest mmo to everyone bailing to a free shard ??

Ms BabyDoll and Jixxa like this.
  7. Jixxa

Jixxa Neophyte

Feb 11, 2018
    Were there plans to introduce the flying balloons or damage from cold weather into the game?

Ms BabyDoll and Sir. like this.
  8. Beradule

Beradule Neophyte

Jul 7, 2013
    If you were magically teleported to relive the launch of Ultima Online and you were allowed to change one aspect of the game. Would you change anything?

Ms BabyDoll likes this.
  9. Sir.

Sir. Grandmaster

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    1. UO, as far as MMORPG's go, had no "reference game" before it which I think made it so unique, even today. What are your thoughts on the direction that MMORPG's took after UO, having UO as a reference model to build from? Do you feel that the industry pursued the true potential of social experience/adventure successfully overall, or could it have gone a different direction taking more from UO's successful attributes?

2. Concerning the limitations of "freedom" in MMORPG's today, do you feel that the technical limitations in 2D allow players to do more than in 3D games comparing, let's say, UO to SotA? Do you think that any 3D games aspiring to be UO's spiritual successor can claim that rite, given the difference in gameplay experience of 2D vs 3D? I just don't see any games out there that allow me to "affect" the physical world as much as UO does anywhere in the game world (dropping items anywhere and using them for creative gameplay advantages as obstacles, decoration, illusions, etc).

3. I've heard you mention your wife and how much work she did on UO as well during its development. Have you ever considered going back to the humble roots of her work to reformulate a new game using today's technology that might be more capable of the true "depth" UO was intended to have in terms of interacting with the world, items, players and ecology?

4. What do you feel is the most important aspect(s) of an MMORPG experience?

Skye Wolfbane and Ms BabyDoll like this.
  10. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    THIS EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE:
    On Sunday, April 29th, 2018: 7 PM CENTRAL

Ms BabyDoll likes this.
  11. Sir.

Sir. Grandmaster

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    Join us in Jousting during the Livestream! No entry fee! All you need is a suit of GM Iron platemail, a lance (100 str and 100 any melee skill required to equip) and a mount for a shot at some cool prizes and a chance to entertain the events guest of honor in a historic moment on UOForever! Huzzah!

[​IMG]

Ms BabyDoll and Shane like this.
  12. Ghostl00l

Ghostl00l Novice

Sep 15, 2017
    xGhosTx, Hisoka Morow
    When housing was implemented, what do you think you would have done different from what you know now? Housing always felt like one of those things people would of had a lot of different views on.

13. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Thank you all for participating in this event! HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE showed up for it!
    We will have a full video upload of this very soon!
    Thank you, and we will see you all tomorrow for more Spring Festival events! Tomorrow is a full live play put on by role players of Ultima Online Forever. This play is entitled "A Knights Tale 2.0".
    Looking forward to it!
    More information here:
    https://uoforum.com/threads/ultima-online-forever-spring-festival.102934/

Sir. likes this.
  14. Todd

Todd Neophyte

Jan 30, 2014
    Wow, that was AMAZING. I could listen to him talk about UO all day.

Sir. and Shane like this.
  15. Todd

Todd Neophyte

Jan 30, 2014
    I also wanted to add that I am just so fascinated by the original alpha AI design. It was so amazing to hear him talk about it.

I remember when I got the original game, it came with that book that listed things like creature desires. All of that makes so much more sense now. The idea of having creatures spawn and seek out things like shelter and having hunger levels just sounds SO cool to me. Think about a dragon spawning and being hungry. Let's say it would wander and search out food and come across an orc. It would attack the orc using it's fire breath and would set the forest on fire. If someone didn't put that fire out, or if it didn't rain or snow, the forest would burn down. Can you imagine how this would have changed the entire way the game was played?

It's just so fascinating to think about.