UOAM all black

Spirro

Click the map menu option. Go down to 'UO client data files location...' and enter in your client install directory.

http://www.uoguide.com/UOAM:uoamfaq#I.2 ... s_wrong.3F

I'm seeing the labels but the map is black. What's wrong?

Probably UOAM was not able to find all of the UO map files.

See the answer to the next question for a list of the files UOAM needs to find in order to draw the map and for a list of places it looks to find them.

If after reading that you are still having problems getting UOAM to paint the map, there is a way that you can tell UOAM exactly where to look for UO's map files. Make sure topmost mode is off (double-click on UOAM's map if you don't see a menu bar) and look under the Map menu. Use the "UO client data files location..." command to tell UOAM exactly where to look for UO's data files.

Where does UOAM search for UO's data files?

Normally, UOAM searches for UO's data files in several places: it looks in the current directory; it looks in the same directory as UOAM.EXE; it checks the registry to find your UO installation directory and looks there; and it also looks in the "\UO" directory.

If you have told UOAM to look in an explicit folder (using the "UO client data files location..." command on the Map menu) then UOAM will look only in that folder for these files (and it will only look in UOAM's folder for pre-rendered bitmaps).

NOTE that the 3d client is normally given preference so if you generally run UO in 2d then you will want to either uninstall the 3d client, explicitly point UOAM at your 2d client folder, or periodically log in with the 3d client to be sure that its map files are updated.

If UOAM can find the UO map files, or one of the appropriate pre-rendered bitmaps (see the documentation for the Performance Settings dialog) in any of these locations then it will be able to draw the map; if not then you get a black map but an otherwise perfectly functional UOAM session. Note that this means that you do NOT actually have to have UO installed to run UOAM.

kbruder

Novice
I have this same problem. followed to documentation. on a new computer, clean install using UO:F installer.

kbruder

Novice
so i looked at some other forums and apparently, EA changed the file names of the map files so freshly DL and updated versions of UOAM will never work properly again. [e sigh

Malkraven

Grandmaster
im 90% sure if you use the UOF client it has these files included. i run 2 clients i just point uoam at UOF client and it works fine

Sir.

Grandmaster
Worked for me as well. Be sure to extract the files to your UOAM folder... I tried to extract them to my UO folder and point UOAM there and it did not work until I moved the map files to the UOAM folder itself. Then it worked! Thanks

BassMastaFlash

Apprentice
This isn't working for me like it should.
Downloaded that old map pack and extracted it into a UOAM folder and set the directory to that folder and still all black... :(

Any other suggestions???

Wyntr

Master
Make sure the map pack you downloaded is extracted into the UOAM folder. Not a folder named it but the actual UOAM program directory.

Romeo Tyrell

Journeyman
Ya, I extracted everything directly into the UOAM folder.

ThisPC>C:>Program Files>UOAM

Went into UOAM, went to the "map" tab, and went down to "uo client data files location" it showed "\UO" and the default box was checked. Is there something else I should be inputting here?