What exactly is UO Forever?

Aranos

Neophyte
So I'm a total newbie on this whole UO Forever. I'm trying to decide whether I'd rather play in the Main, subscription based UO or in UO Forever and although I found lots of info on this site about getting started on UO Forever, what I want more is a comparison between this and subscription based UO.

Just a general explanation of what sets the two apart would be really great. If there is a site or video that explains this or if someone would care to explain it I would highly appreciate it!

halygon

Grandmaster
Unlike the subscription based UO (we call it OSI after the original company that owned the product Origin Systems Inc,), UOForever is based on mechanics of the 2001 era OSI version of Ultima Online. The Current OSI UO is multiple expansions ahead and has completely different mechanics than you will see here on UOF.

That difference is really what you will see except of course that UO Forever will probably have more players in the world at any single instance than the subscription based Shards will have. This is because partially of the free to play structure but also with the mechanics that are said to be the best era of Ultima Online.

There are mutiple freeshard out there for this era, but UO Forever will be the most populated and have the most updates and custom features. This is because we have a paid development staff as opposed to others that have volunteer dev staff.

The difference will really be seen when you login an compare the differences. I recommend you try out what you are considering (OSI has a free 30 day special I think) and make the decision on your own. I hope you will find the best experience here on UO Forever as we welcome all new players and love the diversity they bring.

Aranos

Neophyte
Unlike the subscription based UO (we call it OSI after the original company that owned the product Origin Systems Inc,), UOForever is based on mechanics of the 2001 era OSI version of Ultima Online. The Current OSI UO is multiple expansions ahead and has completely different mechanics than you will see here on UOF.

That difference is really what you will see except of course that UO Forever will probably have more players in the world at any single instance than the subscription based Shards will have. This is because partially of the free to play structure but also with the mechanics that are said to be the best era of Ultima Online.

There are mutiple freeshard out there for this era, but UO Forever will be the most populated and have the most updates and custom features. This is because we have a paid development staff as opposed to others that have volunteer dev staff.

The difference will really be seen when you login an compare the differences. I recommend you try out what you are considering (OSI has a free 30 day special I think) and make the decision on your own. I hope you will find the best experience here on UO Forever as we welcome all new players and love the diversity they bring.

Thanks for the reply! That's helpful and I feel more clear on things now. I didn't know UO Forever had a paid dev team, that's impressive. I'm most certainly going to check this out then!

I didn't get a chance to play UO in its golden age but always wished I had. UO Forever sounds like it could deliver something along those lines.

Looking forward to the sandbox experience that I've heard so much about!

Ledz Epplin

Master
OSI has Trammel. So if you like hunting with no risk then OSI is for you. However, if you prefer a more realistic anything goes environment where it takes skill and cunning to play, this is your new home!

Haptin

Neophyte
I played in the late 90's and I have to say this shard is much more challenging and entertaining. The no Trammell option really forces all players to up their game and delv deeper into the mechanics of game play in general. It can get bumpy starting out but those that persevere are rewarded.

Bobaganoosh

Master
Thanks for the reply! That's helpful and I feel more clear on things now. I didn't know UO Forever had a paid dev team, that's impressive. I'm most certainly going to check this out then!

I didn't get a chance to play UO in its golden age but always wished I had. UO Forever sounds like it could deliver something along those lines.

Glad to have new people here. I will give a heads up, this is a tough shard to get started on. Lots of greifers. But stick with it, the end game here is as they have stated, the best of UO. Good luck friend!

Modus

Master

if you need any help or advice starting here send me a PM and i sure can help you out with a few advices and starting gear.