Why would a Trammel shard of UOF kill the server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadric

Expert
I have heard the PKer crowd crying that if a Trammel ( non Pker) shard was created for UOF it would ruin the game.
My question is WHY?
Some players do not want to play PvP. So let them play on the Trammel Server. No one is hurt by this.
UNLESS
Pkers know that unless they have non Pkers to hunt they would quickly be out of business.
After all Pkers tend to be harder to fight than non Pkers.
If all the non Pkers left the shard then the Pkers would have to fight one another which would mean a harder fight.
So I submit that the only Pkers who are against a Trammel shard are cowards who only want easy kills

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Even speaking as a total trammie, yeah, I think it would kill the shard. I've always been in favor of making PKing as difficult and penalty-ridden as possible since there are already plenty of PVP options like factions, chaos/order, guild war, etc. But I think just about everyone remembers when Trammel was implemented and how suckily it changed the dynamic and feel of the world -into a massive pile of suck.

gadric

Expert
I liked Trammel.. It meant that I didnt have to keep watching for loser Reds. I even got tools to nuke Pkers so that I could lock them up and kill them

halygon

Grandmaster
I have heard the PKer crowd crying that if a Trammel ( non Pker) shard was created for UOF it would ruin the game.
My question is WHY?
Some players do not want to play PvP. So let them play on the Trammel Server. No one is hurt by this.
UNLESS
Pkers know that unless they have non Pkers to hunt they would quickly be out of business.
If all the non Pkers left the shard then the Pkers would have to fight one another which would mean a harder fight.
So I submit that the only Pkers who are against a Trammel shard are cowards who only want easy kills
The magic of UO is that there are people who don't want to PvP right beside those that do. When you split these apart, it makes the game less dynamic as the player interaction suffers.

UO in general is what it is because of the risk and reward. Everyone can be a PK and kill others... but why do only a handful of individuals actually turn red? The conflict of blues vs reds is a major aspect of UOF. The perspective of people who prefer to not pvp is as important as those that do. Its all a big yen to the yang situation where both sides are needed.

Opening up a trammel version of UOF would split the population and ultimately make neither shard via for extended gameplay.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
Did you play uo before and after the trammel switch!?
Worst implementation ever.
It split the population and made it boring as hell, Fel was empty on Atlantic and everyone played Trammel and griefed....
Cutting the population in half would be a terrible idea.
But on a positive note, if UOF keeps gaining members, they'll have to make more land mass.

gadric

Expert
I am not saying to eliminate PKers. What I am suggesting is that if you want to play UO in PVP you do it is Feluccia. If you dont want to PVP you do it in Trammell. This does not hurt the game UNLESS one assumes that the PKers are only interested in easy kills and will cry like babies if denied them

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
I've always thought if you attack an innocent player, all damage against them should be halved (but not vicey versey) and make the recall spell nearly uninterruptable in these situations. Also keep the red penalty stat/loss system in place.

Why? Because the non-pkers are the vast silent majority who get quietly driven from the game by far more vocal minority PKers causing all kinds of suckiness in their gameplay, when they *could* be out doing consensual PVP, so make it EXTREMELY challenging but not to the point complete trammelization.

God.RG

Grandmaster
I am not saying to eliminate PKers. What I am suggesting is that if you want to play UO in PVP you do it is Feluccia. If you dont want to PVP you do it in Trammell. This does not hurt the game UNLESS one assumes that the PKers are only interested in easy kills and will cry like babies if denied them
there are many trammel servers out there. go there.

Derwolf

Grandmaster
My question is WHY?
UNLESS

Trammel ruined the game when it was introduced to UO, a ton of subscribers left. Why would Trammel succeed a second time around?

If you look at free servers with trammel the population is extremely low because the demand to play on a trammel shard isn't there. i know i speak for many when i say i wouldn't have any desire to log in if trammel was implemented. If trammel is what you truly wish for i would go back to osi and pay 10-15$ a month to play a 20 yr old wizard game.

Salsa

Grandmaster

Yes let's separate players of a 20~ year old game, which already has a limited population.

This is never gonna happen here.

halygon

Grandmaster
Did you play uo before and after the trammel switch!?
Worst implementation ever.
It split the population and made it boring as hell, Fel was empty on Atlantic and everyone played Trammel and griefed....
Cutting the population in half would be a terrible idea.
But on a positive note, if UOF keeps gaining members, they'll have to make more land mass.
Same thing happened on Great Lakes. They hyped us up and lots of us were pretty excited. On opening day, we all logged in when the server came up and rushed to trammel to place houses. I placed one exactly where I wanted. The next week was pretty exciting too using the moonstones to go and come back from Fel. See Fell was where the action was and Trammel was where you went to get to your house. Then over the next couple of months, that changed. Everyone except pvpers moved to Trammel. We would mark run locations at the place where our house was on the other facet - recall there, place a moonstone and go in our house. We didn't even need to explore or move around in felucca because of this. Not even 6 months later, felucca was left with nothing but pvpers and little to no player interaction at banks, which had been super populated up to that point. Felucca died - then as people realized what happened, trammel died. Some people kept playing but not like it was. If you look at the history of UO, right around when trammel was implemented UO was almost at its peak. It hit its peak AFTER trammel was implemented, but quickly went down after that.

See above.

*edit - As I typed the above, a sad soundtrack song came on my Youtube station from FFX. Kinda mad it a bit more dramatic of a paragraph than I intended. This one:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
We do not say that name around here. Like the fruit of the great tree, it is forbidden!! We do not talk about that day, nor acknowledge its existence.

Wrexx

Grandmaster
UO peaked a few years after Trammel was introduced so I don't think I'd say it attributed to its death. I'd honestly look at the games that launched during the demise of UO. I believe right around 2004, warcraft launched which changed the mmorpg scene forever.

halygon

Grandmaster
UO peaked a few years after Trammel was introduced so I don't think I'd say it attributed to its death. I'd honestly look at the games that launched during the demise of UO. I believe right around 2004, warcraft launched which changed the mmorpg scene forever.
UO Peaked in 2003 and declined after that. UO as most of us vets knew it died about a year after trammel came about (2001) when UO3D introduced Ilshenar, but UO itself as a game didn't really start declining until AoS came out in 2003.

This is why if you take a poll of the vets here, i bet most say they quit the original UO around 2000-2001. I know I did.

98-01 for me.

Young Star

Grandmaster
Everyone says that the population took a hit from trammel but I remember the staff making claims to the contrary. I played on Napa and the trammel side was still pretty populated though. Feluccia was nearly dead except for all the pvp hotspots. Mainly around bucs and the several moongates there was pretty much continuous pvp since people only really lost what they didn't insure. Champs brought some life back into Felucca for a little bit. I actually did most of my PvPing under the AoS ruleset on OSI.

As for this shard I do not think it has the population to do such a thing. Most people joined this server to have the added challenge and risk of PvP and PKs. Gold farming in trammel gets boring pretty fast. The monster AI isn't all that challenging especially once you get a spawn location under control.

Wrexx

Grandmaster
I think Trammel soured many people's view of the game. However, Trammel brought in Many more players who played uo differently than in 98. So its fair to say trammel killed it for the Vets, but Trammel did not kill UO. I don't pvp much, but PKS don't bother me either. Risk is the main reason we play UO 17 years later. This game can't support a Trammel anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.