Would you still PVM....

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
...if it didnt produce gold or relics or other drops? Im trying to understand what peoples motivations for PVM are -- many people say they "enjoy it" but I wonder if they enjoy the actual PVM or if they enjoy getting rich?

Basically why do you PVM -- for fun or for riches?

disneys-duck-tales-the-quest-for-gold_3.gif

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
...if it didnt produce gold or relics or other drops? Im trying to understand what peoples motivations for PVM are -- many people say they "enjoy it" but I wonder if they enjoy the actual PVM or if they enjoy getting rich?

Who on earth do would that kind of grindfest without a reward such as gold/items...no one. it is only good for the monetary benefits that = Kegs&regs

Last edited by a moderator:
Sense of the 3d is:
- why you play a 20 yrs old wizard game for doing pvm!? AKA you are a loser, trammie that doesn't deserve to play UO.

Good 3d continue to show your conception of videogames!

Darkarna

Grandmaster

The reason I PVM is purely for fun and giggles. I never expect to earn much gold, I mean, most PVM situations usually end up in the worlds longest marathon and a bank with a little less storage than before. PVM is not for everyone though, going grey and getting guard-whacked is not everyone's cup of tea and seriously, death threats are a common thing. PVM is for fun, not for wealth.

Oh you meant Player Vs Monster, I thought you meant, Player Vs Mark which is PVP really.. Sorry, got confused a little.

Easy Cheese

Grandmaster
@GluttonySDS, everyone has their own "end game". For some it is being "rich", for others it is to be a PVP legend. Simply put, everyone chooses to play UO how they want. Isn't that the point of sandbox games?

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
. it is only good for the monetary benefits that = Kegs&regs

so what if participating in a PVP system(like factions, or militias) allowed you to monetary benefits as well?

Say for example by joining a militia, you got a base salary for participating(so even players to new to PVP would try) and then bonuses for getting kills or even dying(to encourage particicpation). Wouldnt that be a great reason for people who really "enjoy" PVM a reason to try out PVP?

steve-o

Grandmaster
so what if participating in a PVP system(like factions, or militias) allowed you to monetary benefits as well?

Say for example by joining a militia, you got a base salary for participating(so even players to new to PVP would try) and then bonuses for getting kills or even dying(to encourage particicpation). Wouldnt that be a great reason for people who really "enjoy" PVM a reason to try out PVP?
No. You Tried it with faction bonus and none did even care about them. U cant Force people to pvp. Kingdom will probably fail if is base on your idea.

Darkarna

Grandmaster

But why? Shouldn't people be able to play the game how they want without being forced into a very toxic side of the community? The question back at you, why do you have such a problem with people who PVM? Without these people, there wouldn't be any PKS or PVP.. Balance, this game requires a wide range of player styles to keep it functioning. You take away PVM, you completely remove a giant portion of the player base. There are other games out there that caters specifically for PVP, if that is what you want, maybe you should go play them instead?

These threads do not grant you any sympathy votes you know...

Soul Mate

Grandmaster

Glutt, I love pvp, I love the adrenalin rush, I love the chase. I just love to do that alone or with s small 2-3 group. I get what you are saying but it is like this if I may... You and I have played for ages . in all this time how many girls have you seen play this game? please tell me. Now out of all those girls have you seen that really love killing other players.
That number is small......we do not know why , but only certain types are cut out for pvp...Think about it. I do not know the solution, but I know there has to be one, we just have not come on it.

Some can Kill, some cannot.

Imo , Shane should hold a moderated Town meeting on discord to discuss this issue...He should put out a in game message that he and staff are holding a Discord Voice or text Town Meeting...one thing is for sure if this situation does not improve there will be a demise of UOF..There is a solution instead of Reds Trashing Blues and Blues Trashing Reds ,let's find a way to make it work. Listen to each other ,really listen.But then I am an adult and can listen...

As I said before I always stay neutral and try to see all sides of any issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
@GluttonySDS, everyone has their own "end game". For some it is being "rich", for others it is to be a PVP legend. Simply put, everyone chooses to play UO how they want. Isn't that the point of sandbox games?

I agree -- but if the goal is to get rich and a new PVP system allowed you to get rich or get rares through participating in PVP, wouldnt that make PVP attractive to both groups?

No. You Tried it with faction bonus and none did even care about them. U cant Force people to pvp. Kingdom will probably fail if is base on your idea.

The faction bonuses never allowed anyone to get rich and never provided any real incentive to join factions.... imagine if you made a base salary of like 100k a week just for being active in militias(with bonuses and rare clothes/pixels for increased activity). You could even have your base salary be higher if you join the militia with less people to promote those who dont "zerg".

The question back at you, why do you have such a problem with people who PVM?

I dont have a problem with them at all.. but from my experience the reason people dont like or try PVP is because theres a decently high barrier to entry with it if you dont have people to teach you properly.

However there has never really been a PVMer who joined EQMS, got some kills in group fights, and then didnt instantly become interested in PVPing more often.

If you could get rich from participating in PVP, I bet there would be alot more groups of people who currently prefer PVM getting together with their friends and ebolting people for pixels.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
I agree -- but if the goal is to get rich and a new PVP system allowed you to get rich or get rares through participating in PVP, wouldnt that make PVP attractive to both groups?

The faction bonuses never allowed anyone to get rich and never provided any real incentive to join factions.... imagine if you made a base salary of like 100k a week just for being active in militias(with bonuses and rare clothes/pixels for increased activity). You could even have your base salary be higher if you join the militia with less people to promote those who dont "zerg".

I dont have a problem with them at all.. but from my experience the reason people dont like or try PVP is because theres a decently high barrier to entry with it if you dont have people to teach you properly.

However there has never really been a PVMer who joined EQMS, got some kills in group fights, and then didnt instantly become interested in PVPing more often.

If you could get rich from participating in PVP, I bet there would be alot more groups of people who currently prefer PVM getting together with their friends and ebolting people for pixels.

Glutt ,please reverse your premise,

If you could get rich from participating in PVM, I bet there would be alot more groups of people who currently prefer Pking getting together with their friends and ebolting Monsters for pixels.

You do not enjoy pvming, I did not enjoy it, it was a pain in the ass way to get stuff.

Just as we do not find enjoyment in pvm ,they will not enjoy PKIN ....ask your guildmates to only pvm for a week ,they will tell you to go fu*k yourself and rightly so...

Why do some ppl enjoy Alternative rock and not Rap, Why do some men like gold hair blondes ,while other prefer exotic women, Wheat bread or white,rough sex and others not...It is a matter of choice can't you understand that?

Volco

Master
I PVM for the monies and as a sort of mindless activity, and PVP for the chat in discord. Without chat, I don't understand what's fun about pvp. 1 person chasing another person who's running away... both at equal speeds, and this goes on in some cases for several minutes.

to each their own i guess

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I PVM for the monies
@GluttonySDS, everyone has their own "end game". For some it is being "rich",

Who on earth do would that kind of grindfest without a reward such as gold/items...no one. it is only good for the monetary benefits that = Kegs&regs

So it seems the major reason so far people PVM is because its a way to get rich, make gold, make dem pixels, right?

So if PVP was another way of getting gold and becoming rich, wouldnt it encourage more people to try it out and get better at it?

Soul Mate

Grandmaster

So it seems the major reason so far people PVM is because its a way to get rich, make gold, make dem pixels, right?

So if PVP was another way of getting gold and becoming rich, wouldnt it encourage more people to try it out and get better at it?

Sigh...agr I want to shake you...just shake you. I love Thai Food ,other hate it. Let's put it this way

Some people find this dish soooo yummy, so very delicious , but I am not sure what it would take to make me eat it..a gun to my head maybe,
The point is what is yummy to some is not for others...

Ariakan99

Grandmaster
Variety. I can pvm is so many different ways. Champs, RDA, MOTM, Whirlpools, T Maps, Mini Boss or just general farming. Also explored crafting and testing out various different strategies to optimise whatever I am doing - efficiency is kind of my thing.

Tamers and meta dex or mage also give the option of a character class you can advance across this whole range of activities.

They can also largely be undertaken solo or in very loose groups that require little coordination - so much more laid back.

Most pvp I have done is solo - but even the group fights I have seen all boil down to the same few templates and scenarios. IMO less diverse options than PVM.

Each to their own though.

Xiulan

Master

Some people find this dish soooo yummy, so very delicious , but I am not sure what it would take to make me eat it..a gun to my head maybe,
The point is what is yummy to some is not for others...

Ugh... I was once at a Vietnamese picnic where this dish was served to me (except it was an ostrich egg so three times bigger) and believe it or not I took a bite, just to be a good sport and see what it was like.

My attitude toward PvP in this game is pretty similar.

As for the original question, it's all about dopamine: http://www.learning-theories.com/dopamine-games-motivation.html

I personally find PvM kind of relaxing, and satisfying in the way that popping bubble wrap can be satisfying. Also, farming seems to be necessary in order to obtain the resources to do anything else in this game. If there was a militias system with a paycheck and bonuses I would definitely give that a shot. I don't think PvMers are necessarily lazy or greedy. It's just that for some, risk is its own reward, while for others the rewards need to be more tangible or quantifiable.