A Call To End Docks Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously this is going to be incredibly controversial. However, am I the only one who thinks safe trading zones like the Docks are incredibly stupid? One of the factors that I feel makes UO so special is the fact that danger lurks around every corner. Now, I don't even play a thief, but I hate to see all these people making trades in docks safe zone. I thought it was fun back in the day how you had to try and create your own ways to safely make trades -- whether it keeping friends close, trading at lesser used banks, etc.

I have a feeling most of you are going to disagree because you like your items to be as safe as possible, but I'm calling for an END TO SAFE TRADES AT THE DOCKS!

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
The days before they activated the docks were awesome. But as it usually goes: people lost itam, people cry...well I think we all know the rest.

Really though a 100% safe trading area with bank access is the most 'trammel' thing on the shard.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Most people agree with you on the condition that they fix stealing, stealth, and insta banking for thieves. Thieves are incredibly OP here. unless they fix thieves they need to leave the docks in.

It would effectively end commerce on the server.

Pretty much. people will only trade blessed items with people they don't know and trust.

Gareth

Apprentice
The days before they activated the docks were awesome. But as it usually goes: people lost itam, people cry...well I think we all know the rest.

Really though a 100% safe trading area with bank access is the most 'trammel' thing on the shard.

Then thieves should pay a 5k fine to their victims if they get caught stealing. Want some reward? Take some risk. Naked thieving with no consequences of super valuable items is horrible.

jdcalve

Master
Most people agree with you on the condition that they fix stealing, stealth, and insta banking for thieves. Thieves are incredibly OP here. unless they fix thieves they need to leave the docks in.

Pretty much. people will only trade blessed items with people they don't know and trust.

Exactly.. as far as using player vendors, who the fuck do you know that's going to pay 1m+ for items on a player vendor just to have them stolen .5s later by that hidden thief?

I personally don't give a shit if they did this because I hardly buy anything from others anyway unless it's dono coins.

* You would also see the # of thieves double over night.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
God if only there were some ways to counter thieves...

Locked boxes
Reveal
Tracking
Kill them
Actually thinking about what you're doing

Nope better just keep going on about OP thieves because you can't take the time to secure your shit.

The risk in naked thieving is that you spend your time snooping and get nothing for it. Or get guardwhacked. Or just get attacked on site.

Thieves get paid by stupid or careless players.

LOL @ risk vs reward talk when you are wanting to keep a 100% risk free trading area that runs contrary to the era and to the spirit of UO.

Exactly. Go trade at a bank where there aren't naked thieves everywhere. Cast reveal. Pay attention to who you are buying and selling with. Thieving is not overpowered here... it's really no different than it was on OSI or any other shard of this time period. It's time for players to police themselves -- I remember one free shard I played for awhile that was identical in time period rule set literally had a guild that policed Brit with characters with detect hidden, tracking, etc -- I thought it was pretty cool.

Except for that part where thieves have insta/unlimited stealth.
That part that does not actually exist?

You get revealed, you lose your hidden status, and cannot stealth. You also cannot snoop someone you cannot see, which was another part of what I suggested you start doing.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Except for that part where thieves have insta/unlimited stealth.

Once again, it wouldn't even affect me.. but I can only imagine the crying that would ensue.

Use reveal or tracking before you buy shit off a vendor. Or invis yourself. Fuck it's not like its even complicated to 100% negate thieves if you take five seconds.

jdcalve

Master
That part that does not actually exist?

You get revealed, you lose your hidden status, and cannot stealth. You also cannot snoop someone you cannot see, which was another part of what I suggested you start doing.

So you instantly hide/stealth again.. what's your point?

Add the skill use timer between hide/stealth like it should be and I'm all for demolishing the docks.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Exactly. Go trade at a bank where there aren't naked thieves everywhere. Cast reveal. Pay attention to who you are buying and selling with. Thieving is not overpowered here... it's really no different than it was on OSI or any other shard of this time period. It's time for players to police themselves -- I remember one free shard I played for awhile that was identical in time period rule set literally had a guild that policed Brit with characters with detect hidden, tracking, etc -- I thought it was pretty cool.

Dude did you play OSI?

Thieves can:
1.Stealth the moment they hide.
2.not need to count steps in stealth
3.use stealing skill hold the curser for 10 seconds, then nearly insta hide (.25 sec dealy)
4.Bank stolen goods right after they steal them.

1-3 were not the way it was on OSI. im not sure on number 4, its been to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.