Armor rating

Metzen

Hello,

I was wondering if armor rating is important after a certain point. I mean, when using barbed leather set, I get around 27 AR. When I switched to copper armor, I got 34 AR. Still, the melee damage I received when using both sets at different times was almost identical.

It that´s so, what´s the point of getting more than the barbed leather armor rating?

halygon

Grandmaster
Right now, there is very little advantage. AR does not work as expected and any AR above 30ish does about the same defense.

I hope some day they will make it worthwhile to have high AR, but that day is not here yet.

I cannot prove it, but it SEEMS like having high AR lowers the hit rate of mobs, but I think that's in my head.

N49ATV

Adept
I'm sure this is on purpose for PvP. To make it so you don't need to rock high end gear and Vanqs to win. I could see them making it matter in PvM.

halygon

Grandmaster
I'm sure this is on purpose for PvP. To make it so you don't need to rock high end gear and Vanqs to win. I could see them making it matter in PvM.
It should be the same across the board. If you go out in full invul, you should be hard to hit. It's reward vs risk.

N49ATV

Adept
I agree with RvR. But you would be pretty much unkillable by a dexer @ 100AR. Just a skippy slope where it would become like current game, where high end gear is NEEDED to compete.

NoXXeD

Grandmaster
I think if you are going to roll all invul armor you should be hard to kill against another dexxer, Mages are still going to kick your ass. I should not be getting hit for half life with 63 armor.

halygon

Grandmaster
I think if you are going to roll all invul armor you should be hard to kill against another dexxer, Mages are still going to kick your ass. I should not be getting hit for half life with 63 armor.
Yeah no lie. If you have 100ar though, that means you have a full invul plate set ( which I don't think even goes to 100ar - maybe like 80ar). But if you roll around as a dexxor in full plate for pvp, you are an idiot cause you won't kill anyone. Some Mage is gonna come by and wipe you out before you can swing once.

N49ATV

Adept
No you shouldn't be taking 50hp hits at 63AR, but there should be diminishing returns on AR. Say up to 30, is a direct # to % reduction. After that dwindle it down till max AR (guessing 101). But let's say 101 is a 70% reduction in damage. Then taper the numbers on a curve from there. (Not linear)

It will take testing to find fair balance

NoXXeD

Grandmaster
i get 63-65 ar with -5 dex loss around there. I should be hard to kill, also I'm risking EVERYTHING running around on my red. I'm using all Invul suit, and if I am using that I'm using a damn good weapon. So It's tit for tat. I should be hard to kill but if I die I loss A LOT of stuff

N49ATV

Adept
I thought AR was only damage. Sorry been too long since I played UOR.

So if that's the case, I'd say 65% defend chance and say big hits for 35 instead of 50?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaathen

I tested this thoroughly today using my assistant, Mr. Ettin. Armor seems to work the same way as T2A, where the displayed AR is an "average" based on the % chance to hit specific locations and the armor rating of that location.

For example, each piece of normal plate is AR 30, so, if you equip the whole set, your avg AR is, *drum roll*, 30. The reason a plate gorget only adds 3 AR to the character sheet from 0 is that there is ~= 7% chance to hit the neck (AR40 * 7% = 2.8 rounded up to 3).

In T2A, the chance to hit specific locations were:
Body 44% Breastplates, Tunics, Dresses, Cloak, Shirts
Arms 14% Arm Plates, Chainmail Tunic, Sleeves
Head 14% Hats, Helmets
Legs/Feet 14% Leg Plates, Leggings, Pants, Skirts, Thigh Boots
Neck 7% Gorgets
Hands 7% Gauntlets, Gloves

On UOF, there appears to be an additional tiny chance to ignore the armor entirely. I suspect that this is an error caused by the attack targeting a non-armorable location such as a jewelry or cloak spot. As such, I suspect that the protection spell will actually add armor to this "ghost" location. In conclusion, these T2A hit percentages will be a little off, but they are a good ballpark estimate.

The base armor values appear to be the same as T2A, and they can be found here (note that in Ren, plate is AR40, not 30): http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/armor.html

Exceptional, Special Metal, and Magic armors will obviously have higher values.

Shields add the AR of the shield on successful parry. The increase to AR on your character sheet from wearing a shield seems to be again based on the parry chance v the AR of the shield.

I have not heard, or seen, anything that makes me believe AR reduces hit chance or spell damage (and it shouldn't!).

***Special thanks to Ramtha Co for providing various testing gear. You can find his vendor shop just outside of Cove.

Last edited by a moderator: