Better New Player Area....PLEASE

Pimp C

Apprentice
With the flux of new players joining UO Forever, I think it's time to discuss upgrading the new player areas. Some of these guys have NEVER played UO before. If any of us remember the newb days... the learning curve is quiet large. I met two new people yesterday that didnt even know how to bank or buy from vendors. Apparently, there is a (YOUNG) dungeon, and the chest at Brit Bank for new players... but when I was new I did not even know about these. They are not easily seen.

I just want new players to have a fun learning experience when they come to UO Forever. I am not rich enough to take all the newbs under my wing, neither is my guild :( If staff could please consider placing a gate and some signs by the Inn, and maybe moving the New Player Chest to the Britt Inn, so people can see it when they join.

I just have been feeling bad for all the new guys asking questions, getting frustrated.. and they all train at the Deceit bard tables because they don't know where else to go.

Thanks for listening
-Pimp C / Swag.Goblin

Asmatu

Master
I fully agree.

BTW, wtf is up with the people who never played UO before, of haven't played in over yen years?

How they even finding out about this place. Little crazy how many new players I see around, especially how many are literally new to the game.

Wonder what their retention rate is, there is an incredibly steep learning curve here. Hence my surprise of meeting people new to this game. It's not typical of these free-shards.

So, I definitely agree with the threads' creator.

Pimp C

Apprentice
From what I have heard around, this shard is highly recommended on Reddit, and even though staff does not encourage voting for some reason... we have a higher playerbase and smoother scripts than any other free shard around. We probably have more players than some of OSI shards at this point.

I do find it strange that some of these new players have never played UO before. I gave a guy 10k last night to help get him started, but then regretted because he 1)might quit uo 2) brand new 3) didnt know how to bank or vendor buy.

Staff please consider adding a happier welcome kit, with maybe instructions and directions?
It's really hard for new people to find places to train, and learn the game... without getting PKed and being like... whyd i die?
Also some of these guys don't even understand, when you are a ghost you can't talk to players, so they think they are being ignored... also they do not know they must be in WAR mode while a ghost. Such a learning curve on this game, being a vet of 15 years just makes me feel bad for these new guys. I want to help them all but I am not a councilor nor I am not rich :(

Asmatu

Master
Hey, didn't their use to be a new player Haven town? I don't remember what era it's from, but, that sounds like a good idea. Didn't that place have stuff that explains basic concepts of the game? I can't quite remember...

Pimp C

Apprentice
I think Occala was, also yea there was New Haven... which I am not sure if exists on this server. Like I said, I just feel bad for all the new struggling players that have never played UO but are giving it a chance... its awesome having so many new faces join UO Forever.

Ima2.0

Neophyte
Haven was a new players town, unfortunately it was never really utilized past the initial entry. Only fellow new players would be there so the interaction with players who could teach them was minimal. For those who have played on this shard a little longer than I have I recommend updating the wiki with some of these things. Perhaps developing a new players section of it as a sort of UOF manual. The information available in other places (stratics, etc) does not correlate to the era this shard is in so it can be difficult without that information.

An easy fix for this as well would be to post the guides in the New Player building in Brit on the website some where. I didn't know any of those existed until my friend (who is a companion) showed me that building.

Tbh, the wiki here is (aside obviously not very well filled) using a terrible interface.
If it was anything more like wikia or at least using mediawiki instead of whatever this is,. I'd gladly update and expand it with relevant info.

Though, to be fair, most things can be found on uoguide - the only downfall is that this shard has some shard specific rules which won't apply to info found on that site.

This shard has a bigger population then all but 2 or 3 English speaking OSI shards combined!
Atlantic is primarily the main shard now.

Kael

Master
Haven had the new player quest and a new player only area. I think was storming the mountain or stopping an invasion...

With the flux of new players joining UO Forever, I think it's time to discuss upgrading the new player areas. Some of these guys have NEVER played UO before. If any of us remember the newb days... the learning curve is quiet large. I met two new people yesterday that didnt even know how to bank or buy from vendors. Apparently, there is a (YOUNG) dungeon, and the chest at Brit Bank for new players... but when I was new I did not even know about these. They are not easily seen.

I just want new players to have a fun learning experience when they come to UO Forever. I am not rich enough to take all the newbs under my wing, neither is my guild :( If staff could please consider placing a gate and some signs by the Inn, and maybe moving the New Player Chest to the Britt Inn, so people can see it when they join.

I just have been feeling bad for all the new guys asking questions, getting frustrated.. and they all train at the Deceit bard tables because they don't know where else to go.

Thanks for listening
-Pimp C / Swag.Goblin

I think best would be to introduce the true old new player system from around 2000!!! Wasn't bad at all.

Nubby

Apprentice
+1 I got a few people to try it out, but couldn't hand hold them through the process due to schedule differences.

1) It should be an option for new players (to take the newbie tutoria/dungeon/town experience or
2) enter the world as is now, in free sandbox, learn as you go environment.

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
I think when starting out it's a lot easier if all the basic information can be found in one place so you can get started without hours of trawling through forums learning concepts piece by piece. My suggestion is for someone to make a Youtube video explaining all the basics and then the GM's can message a link to all new players. Either that or some kind of enforced tutorial boot camp for new players to prevent them from just running off and dying as soon as they join the game. You have to remember that most players nowadays have been raised on games like WoW which hold your hand every step of the way and where you can't lose all your stuff by going AFK for a few minutes in a shady part of town.