Boat Security Bug

I hope that I am wrong and this is not a bug but..

To make a long story short. I was out fishing with my two fisherman and got raided by some pirates. What I noticed though is that they were able to get onto my LOCKED boat without a key in the middle of the ocean. I re-created the bug and here is how they did it...

Step 1. Get onto your gang plank and pull up to the tillerman so that your avatar becomes part of the enemy boat and simply double click on the enemy boats gang plank.

PopthePlank.jpg

Step 2. Cast fire field onto the enemy boats gang plank (apparently this forces the enemies gang plank to stay open).

CastFireField.jpg

Step 3. Line your boat up with the enemy boat, open your gang plank and simply "walk the plank" over to the enemies supposedly LOCKED boat.

WalkthePlank.jpg

Step 4. Loot and Pillage

LootandPillage.jpg

Like I said. I am not 100% sure that this is a bug or not but it seemed to me that it was not working as intended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Working as intended - at least on this shard. It's irrelevant, though, as the expansion will be making ships destructable.

As an aside, it appears your ships are unlicensed with the Trinsic Trading Company. I recommend that be on your to-do list.

Working as intended - at least on this shard. It's irrelevant, though, as the expansion will be making ships destructable.

As an aside, it appears your ships are unlicensed with the Trinsic Trading Company. I recommend that be on your to-do list.

I would like to hear from a GM or read some supporting evidence that this is working as intended. I understand that things are about to change with the new expansion.

Just because your guild is roleplaying pirates does not make this legit. I lost nothing of value but 1 MIB which I have plenty of.

Two things that make this an exploit (abusing broken game mechanics)

1. Standing on the attacking ships gang plank in a fashion that attaches itself to the defending ship and giving the attacker access to the defenders ganplank is clearly a broken mechanic. Any other player would be required to actually be on the ship VIA recall or gate travel to access to the LOCKED gang plank.

2. Fire Field is cleary broken, since when does it keep gang planks open and why?

I could accept a legitimate situation like sinking the ship, using grape shot to kill the crew of the defending ship or chain shot to demast the ship. But this method seems broken and totally exploited.

If you want to be immune to this, only fish along the server lines so that they cannot get the proper positioning behind you, or fish in such a way that the tile behind your tillerman is blocked off, either by land or another boat.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
1. i doubt staff read all forum posts.
2. i think its been this way for some time and its not gonna change before the new boats come out.
3. There not doing anything you cant do yourself .
4. this isnt a tram server you should be able to board ships it opens up this exact play style

imo they are RP pirates its fun and only a few pixels lost , grab some friends and go look for revenge! . personally id rather have an encounter with these guys than a 4 man gank/dry loot in dungeons.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I would like to hear from a GM or read some supporting evidence that this is working as intended.
IxU5BFX.jpg

1. Standing on the attacking ships gang plank in a fashion that attaches itself to the defending ship and giving the attacker access to the defenders ganplank is clearly a broken mechanic. Any other player would be required to actually be on the ship VIA recall or gate travel to access to the LOCKED gang plank.
Can't gate off of a key. Never could. The ship mechanics on this server are based on 1997 boat mechanics, which were outdated back in 1997.

2. Fire Field is cleary broken, since when does it keep gang planks open and why?
Because they are a field and are occupying a tile. You cannot remove that tile because it is occupied - just like if a person or item was on it. That is one of my signature tactics, though.

I could accept a legitimate situation like sinking the ship, using grape shot to kill the crew of the defending ship or chain shot to demast the ship. But this method seems broken and totally exploited.
We could too, which is why back in March of this year (about a month and a half after the server came up) we said "Hey, this should be fixed." We learned about this "tactic" from other pirates who tried (and failed) to use it against us. We replicated it and have used it successfully ever since.

A lot of this is you not knowing much about "legit" boat mechanics (or even UO mechanics in general) and not keeping up to snuff about piracy on this server. Much of this can be avoided by being a skilled sailor; more of it by having your ship licensed. Knowledge is power. Get licensed.

halygon

Grandmaster
A lot of this is you not knowing much about "legit" boat mechanics (or even UO mechanics in general) and not keeping up to snuff about piracy on this server. Much of this can be avoided by being a skilled sailor; more of it by having your ship licensed. Knowledge is power. Get licensed.

LMAO! Seriously? You are trying to say that being able to take advantage if the Z axis by overlapping your boats to temporarily control another boat long enough to open a plank is "legit boat mechanics"? The Z axis issue is the source of a ton of BUGs because Origin was too lazy to correct it. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with your tactics .. Just don't call them legit.

IxU5BFX.jpg

Can't gate off of a key. Never could. The ship mechanics on this server are based on 1997 boat mechanics, which were outdated back in 1997.

Ok this much I already knew.

Because they are a field and are occupying a tile. You cannot remove that tile because it is occupied - just like if a person or item was on it. That is one of my signature tactics, though.

Ok I get it.

We could too, which is why back in March of this year (about a month and a half after the server came up) we said "Hey, this should be fixed." We learned about this "tactic" from other pirates who tried (and failed) to use it against us. We replicated it and have used it successfully ever since.

This is the point that I am making. You are knowingly using a broken mechanic to your own advantage which places it into the exploitation category.

You are contradicting yourself with previous paragraph. We both clearly established that it is not legit from the simple fact that you reported it yourself in March and know that it should be fixed. Which is again exploitation.

Let me say that I think the whole concept of playing pirates is cool and a fun way to play. Perhaps with the new expansion ship fighting/combat will be legitimized.

Sorry but my "knowledge" of the game does not give me the right to exploit known weaknesses within the games code or lack thereof. Sure the game is free but I came back to this game after being gone for 10 years because of a love for the game not because I want to exploit it's weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO! Seriously? You are trying to say that being able to take advantage if the Z axis by overlapping your boats to temporarily control another boat long enough to open a plank is "legit boat mechanics"? The Z axis issue is the source of a ton of BUGs because Origin was too lazy to correct it. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with your tactics .. Just don't call them legit.

good point, thank you! Atleast I am not alone now.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I thought perhaps a screenshot would be easy for you to read. Apparently you lack the comprehension to even derive information from colorful pictures. Allow me to sum this up:

Shane says it's legit.

You know, the owner of the shard you play.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Here's a card.

83654248.gif

I thought perhaps a screenshot would be easy for you to read. Apparently you lack the comprehension to even derive information from colorful pictures. Allow me to sum this up:

Shane says it's legit.
You know, the owner of the shard you play.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Here's a card.

Where did Shane say it is legit?

I like how this guy throws developer names around with no supporting evidence like he is someone important. Where is the link stating that this is legit?

I have said before that I hoped that I was wrong and this is legit but you have said nothing to prove your argument. So far the only thing you have proven is your willingness to exploit a broken game mechanic for your own self gain.

I like how this guy throws developer names around with no supporting evidence like he is someone important. Where is the link stating that this is legit?

I have said before that I hoped that I was wrong and this is legit but you have said nothing to prove your argument. The only thing you have proven is your willingness to exploit a broken game mechanic for your own self gain.

It's in the journal in the screen shot.

Malkraven

Grandmaster

I have said before that I hoped that I was wrong and this is legit but you have said nothing to prove your argument. So far the only thing you have proven is your willingness to exploit a broken game mechanic for your own self gain.

The bit that says " Shane : Im fine with this guys" should have been abit of a give away

It's in the journal in the screen shot.

All I see is a "player" named Shane whom is NOT in the typical moderator clothing speaking in a screen shot. If your argument is that the text is in red that could very easily be edited by any modern art program i.e. paint, smart draw etc.

What I am saying is that this could have easily been orchestrated by you.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
haha yea there lying to ya..... why dont you just PM him. Im sure the owner of the shard lets people run around using his name

All I see is a "player" named Shane whom is NOT in the typical moderator clothing speaking in a screen shot. If your argument is that the text is in red that could very easily be edited by any modern art program i.e. paint, smart draw etc.

It could be edited. But I assure you, that's Shane, the actual owner of this shard.

You, of course, are free to believe or not as you see fit.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster

You must be new around here. Take off the tin foil hat and go visit the General Discussion forum. You'll notice a few Official Licensing Threads, dating back to about March of this year and updated just about every week with our exploits (pun intended).

You'll be featured in this week's. Lucky you!

haha yea there lying to ya..... why dont you just PM him. Im sure the owner of the shard lets people run around using his name

I am not implying that someone is running around on this shard using his name. What I am not ruling out is Dewderonomy simply editing someone elses name to make it look like "Shane" simply to win an argument.

You must be new around here. Take off the tin foil hat and go visit the General Discussion forum. You'll notice a few Official Licensing Threads, dating back to about March of this year and updated just about every week with our exploits (pun intended).

You'll be featured in this week's. Lucky you!

you're cute!

I am not implying that someone is running around on this shard using his name. What I am not ruling out is Dewderonomy simply editing someone elses name to make it look like "Shane" simply to win an argument.

Wouldn't that be a pretty stupid thing to do? Edit a picture to make it look like the owner of the shard and forum said something he didn't, and then post that picture on said forum?