BOD's

lilbear68

Neophyte
in acquiring a BOD is there an actual thresh hold of selling crap to the NPC that hands them out? I ask if im eligible and they say yes then I have to sell them a load of crap a couple of times or more. is there a threshold to get a BOD or is it just keep selling them crap till you hit some random spot and they feel like giving you a BOD

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
What he said ^. Most of the time I'll get it within 10 items, other times it takes only 1. I had to sell around 50 ingots once lol

halygon

Grandmaster
It seems to me (and this is just my opinion) that it works off of a chance basis. So each time you sell an item, you have a "chance" to get a BoD. If you don't get one, you can sell again for another chance. But

lilbear68

Neophyte
I think I average about 10 sold before it gives me anything. I've had it go up to 30.
thanks for the fast reply, so what im seeing is that this is a minor rip for us to sell our stuff at less than half of what we could get at the other NPC vendors just in the hopes of getting a BOD and its reward, which so far does not out weigh if I just sold to the other NPC vendors
o well it is what it is, ill just give up on this whole BOD deal for now

thanks for the fast reply, so what im seeing is that this is a minor rip for us to sell our stuff at less than half of what we could get at the other NPC vendors just in the hopes of getting a BOD and its reward, which so far does not out weigh if I just sold to the other NPC vendors
Its really not that much. Sell iron ingots to them one by one. They sell at 3 per you buy back at 1. So you lose 2 gp per ingot. 10 sold is average, so you pay 20gp for a bod on average. Tailor is even better. Buy 10 sewing kits at 30 gp. Sell for 1, buy back at 1. So as long as you buy them back after each sale, you paid a 1 time fee of 30gp.

eppy

Grandmaster
It seems to me (and this is just my opinion) that it works off of a chance basis. So each time you sell an item, you have a "chance" to get a BoD. If you don't get one, you can sell again for another chance. But
In the RunUO source it's 20% every sale. They could have altered it but I doubt it.

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
My record is still 63 items. i came close the other day, hit 59 and thought i may break my record. it gave me a weap LBOD. i teared a little inside.

Fattson

Grandmaster

If losing less than 100 gp per bod run is breaking your bank, then yes, you should probably wait till you're a bit more financially set before taking them on.

On average, I make about a million gold a month between tailor rewards and bs bods and rewards. So to me, yeah, it's worth it.

Torin

Adept
They really should just offer it when you select bulk order deed, there is no reason you should have to sell and buy stuff back. It's a pointless waste of time that didn't bother me until I had to do it seven times in a row three times a day. Now it's just maddening.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
They really should just offer it when you select bulk order deed, there is no reason you should have to sell and buy stuff back. It's a pointless waste of time that didn't bother me until I had to do it seven times in a row three times a day. Now it's just maddening.

Thisssssss ^

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
The main reason is just that - to create an artificial barrier. Some folks farm monsters for rewards. We farm the blacksmiths and tailors. As noted, it can be lucrative, but if we could just walk up and bam given 20k for nothing other than walking up, literally everyone would do it and items would get devalued, etc. is it a pain - omg yes. is it necessary - in my opinion yes.

Torin

Adept
As noted, it can be lucrative, but if we could just walk up and bam given 20k for nothing other than walking up
That's the thing, we can do that. Buying and reselling an ingot costs exactly one gold. I wouldn't mind paying ten times as much gold per bod or something like that to get rid of the annoying resell feature and get the bod instantly.

Fattson

Grandmaster
That's the thing, we can do that. Buying and reselling an ingot costs exactly one gold. I wouldn't mind paying ten times as much gold per bod or something like that to get rid of the annoying resell feature and get the bod instantly.
It has to do with time, imo. Time is the only real item of value on uo. There's always something else we could be doing with it, in game or out. So we sacrifice some of our in game time to put up with something that's a pain in the ass for a a very small chance at a huge pay off.

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
I've heard one or two things about BODs not necassarily getting reworked, but BOD relavent things becoming rewards to crafters through the conquest system. I can only recall one post about this, but I think I saw 2. Here's one:

BOD's i've personally kind of always had an issue with. They are so easily manipulated by VPN multi accounts etc if one really wanted to. Giving our intense, prime rewards for filling out a BOD is kind of silly i think honestly. Our plan is to give out larger rewards based on the conquest system that will be fixed up and applied to each account, instead of each character. This way it is balanced, can't be constantly scripted or anything and is just all around better.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Tearloch

Grandmaster
It always seems when I am in a rush, like in the morning before I have to leave for work, it takes a considerably longer time to get a BOD than other times. I have never counted, but maybe I should.

As far as cost, the smith outside in the Crafting guild buys tongs at 7gp each. They take 1 ingot to make. So even if you are considering retain prices for iron ingots at 8 gp each, you can do OK by making/selling tongs instead of just selling ingots.

As far as the tailor is concerned, I usually do scissors instead of sewing kits. 2 ingots to make, and the tailor pays 3 gp each. If you want to be really sly, you can sell the same scissors to the weaver in the tailor shop for 6 gp each (YEAH!)

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I was thinking about the BOD claim system, trying to come up with a good way it could be reworked. But honestly I couldn't.

See, I realized the idea is you're supposed to be a crafter, making things and then selling them to the vendor. After a while, the vendor gives you bulk orders because they know you are a reliable crafter. See the underlying idea doesn't include the fact that we as players will find the lowest common denominator as a single ingot and sell that a thousand times; it's designed to cater to the actual lifestyle of a crafter. I don't even RP, but I know that's what the Ultima brand is and always has been about -- realism and designing a gameworld that reacts to your playstyle without you having to ask it to.

Just a small rant. Of course we could all save time simply buying BODs, which let's face it we basically are, but for the RP'ers out there, and for Richard Garriott's little smile that people are still playing UO, I just take a deep breath and suck it up when I sell 30 ingots, then have to buy the same ones back, then sell them all again, and again, and again. Now 3 times a day (cause let's face it our RL's are all on BOD timers now). I really wanted to come up with some grandiose, undeniable way to re-write the BOD system until I realized...I just don't want to. Kind of, anyway.