Bring back Factions (Consensual PvP)

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
Thanks I appreciate the up vote. Most just told me I'm trash and need to shut up.

I'm trash but I'm the best meat shield in game and this is facts. Every player's opinions matters :)

I just wish staff would embrace end game pvp(factions/militias)/pvp community like they do end game pvm content/pvm community. There are levels to pvp and it has a learning curve just like anything in uo. I started off playing a solo blue alchy mage and just running around khaldun, then brit bridge blue pvped, solod on red and then got into factions. Now I absolutely love factions/wands and it's the only reason why I play the game

with blair not as active we don't have anyone on staff who gets understands faction pvp and why players love it. The changes to wands/firehorns(https://www.uoforum.com/threads/wands-firehorns-adjustments-thread.99348/) is the worst update to uof in a long time. It is making pvp SO clunky and hurts solo players/small groups.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
What about a militia pvp standard that a player must equip. And say it gives some type of minor perk for militia members in its area of affect. With diminishing returns per player under its affect. That is trackable anywhere across the map.

Would be cool to see people flocking to the standard both to use its perk and steal it. And as a way to help militias gain territory.

Also make it unbankable storable etc. So its basically always in play.

swangin

Neophyte
I feel like having the promised product delivered to the community would have saved all of us a lot of trouble.

Virtually no one was for militias beforehand, now there are a few that are just "meh" about it.

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
"1 button delayed wand drops" - said every marathon mage.

I appreciate staff's efforts to appease the .001647% of the shard who enjoy "running the map on sallos with modded clients, 1 button wand drops and lots o target acquire", but you're never going to make such players happy. They simply have too much e-peen but no actual balls.

I've always been a red pvper, i fight all types from newbs, zergs, marathon mages, target closest cannons and even blue valhalla mages when they build up a week's worth of courage.

The problem isn't lack of "consensual pvp" but rather egos stopping genuine ultima online play.

You sure do have a huge ego for a "dungeon rat" lol. Your opinion about consensual pvpers is 100% untrue and you are talking about a small group of pvpers who came here from a dead server and they were very vocal via forums/discord. Unforuntently they give us a bad name. I'm terrible at this game but I do love me some factions and play with 0 ego.

the cool thing about militias it's for pvpers who are looking for consensual pvp and it's 100% optional to join. No one makes you click the faction stone/militia button. Factions/Militias are endgame pvp content, if you don't like it, don't join it's really simple. While you enjoy slayin' them bards with 0 wrestling & 0resit, all while runnin that leet razor pot script, people do enjoy consensual pvp here uof. Different strokes for different folks, m8. We had over 5=6+ faction groups this summer and that was after eqms left, since adams faction update and blair's updates to, pvp was boomin for a long time on uof. They removed both and now look were pvp is, dead.

Last edited:

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Strange really, a mechanic that has worked for decades transformed into something else. Sometimes even the greatest of artists who paint a picture to near it completion, will start again because of a colour that breaks the flow.

You sure do have a huge ego for a "dungeon rat" lol. Your opinion about consensual pvpers is 100% untrue and you are talking about a small group of pvpers who came here from a dead server and they were very vocal via forums/http://http://http://discord.uoforever.com.uoforever.com.uoforever.com. Unforuntently they give us a bad name. I'm terrible at this game but I do love me some factions and play with 0 ego.

the cool thing about militias it's for pvpers who are looking for consensual pvp and it's 100% optional to join. No one makes you click the faction stone/militia button. Factions/Militias are endgame pvp content, if you don't like it, don't join it's really simple. While you enjoy slayin' them bards with 0 wrestling & 0resit, all while runnin that leet razor pot script, people do enjoy consensual pvp here uof. Different strokes for different folks, m8. We had over 5=6+ faction groups this summer and that was after eqms left, since adams faction update and blair's updates to, pvp was boomin for a long time on uof. They removed both and now look were pvp is, dead.

Pointless really, as was said before will be said again, the victory lap has already begun.

There was once a time where dominance orientated divisions plagued the server, if you look back or remember those times, you would see similar posts regarding the same old tickle tackle of why something was or wasn't needed to make said something work. With enough of an outcry, that balance changed. The similarities are uncannily.... similar.

Lessons are still not being learned around here....

Last edited:

De Medici

Grandmaster
I tend to agree with this statement.... why cant fighting and winning fights be incentive enough?
Because you can have this already by playing a red.

Faction was the best invention of osi. Back in the days I played faction only and did 0 pvm. The key idea of factions was the score system. The score rankings were updated every day for the individual players and the guilds on the servers homepage. I played for the ranking only and I wouldnt have exchange one point of my score for 5 million gold.

Any consencual pvp system without ranking mechanics will fail, because you can have fights by playing a red already. If you look at succesful pvp models for other mmorpgs there are always (!) ranking systems involved. 95% of people who play arena pvp at wow do it for their score/ranking.

If I see a militia guy and i want to kill him, why should I choose to come with a militia toon and not with a red? There is no reason if you dont get score which should remain even if you have to leave militia again because a guildie will replace you for a day. There must be a score system and a silver system which is separated from each other. It doesnt make sense if you can farm score at mobs (bounty). You should also get more score if you get a good player (high score) rather than a bad player (low score). So basically what we already had in faction.

Why is there a ranking at all sports? Because it makes things more fun.

@Swayze You can also ask why people count the results in the NBA which sums up to a ranking.

I tend to agree with this statement.... why cant fighting and winning fights be incentive enough?

How many people would watch the nba if the teams decide that winning is incentive enough, there is no need for a ranking nore any other rewards.

Last edited:

Swayze

Grandmaster
Because you can have this already by playing a red.

Faction was the best invention of osi. Back in the days I played faction only and did 0 pvm. The key idea of factions was the score system. The score rankings were updated every day for the individual players and the guilds on the servers homepage. I played for the ranking only and I wouldnt have exchange one point of my score for 5 million gold.

Any consencual pvp system without ranking mechanics will fail, because you can have fights by playing a red already. If you look at succesful pvp models for other mmorpgs there are always (!) ranking systems involved. 95% of people who play arena pvp at wow do it for their score/ranking.

If I see a militia guy and i want to kill him, why should I choose to come with a militia toon and not with a red? There is no reason if you dont get score which should remain even if you have to leave militia again because a guildie will replace you for a day. There must be a score system and a silver system which is separated from each other. It doesnt make sense if you can farm score at mobs (bounty). You should also get more score if you get a good player (high score) rather than a bad player (low score). So basically what we already had in faction.

Why is there a ranking at all sports? Because it makes things more fun.

@Swayze You can also ask why people count the results in the NBA which sums up to a ranking.

How many people would watch the nba if the teams decide that winning is incentive enough, there is no need for a ranking nore any other rewards.

So if we put in a leaderboard, you would have no other problem with militias?

Epic Flail-

Apprentice

I'd love to see a ranking system. That'd be dope. Yes I would be WAY more interested in Militias if there was a real goal to it, something to drive me to try harder. Honestly at this point, I don't even try at pvp anymore, (not that I'm all that good anyhow) resources are in an abundance, not worried about losing anything, I usually don't wear armor, so not worried about that. Playing my red is more rewarding at this point, at least I'm defending something..... to not get stat loss. Still, no leader board or end game pvp system so it gets boring or I just don't feel interested to do it.

Anyhow, some kind of end game pvp system would be sweet, I'd love to see the bounty system for reds again. The ones who get stated also give up a gold bounty accumulated by players adding to it after being killed by the pk. Maybe a PK leader board for murder counts lol.

I'd still like to see some type of Militias vendor where you can spend personal accumulated points for armored wearables, Not blessed or able to be blessed and only wearable by Militias. Seems viable and low economy impact.

Swayze

Grandmaster
the term "end game" makes little to no sense to me in this game. There is no such thing, everything will continue to evolve.

We could look at adding a leaderboard but as usual with any kind of leaderboard, it can be exploited. Yes I know the responses will be "ban the people who exploit it!" but that doesn't really accomplish anything.

The problem with militia vendors is the system is really designed to work as a team and have a team pool of points, not really individual.

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
Stepped outside brit last night for 1 min and saw 4 groups and a bunch of randoms fighting, doesn't look very dead.

Looks like the majority of pvpers don't care for mechanics like wands, horns and stun tamers.

The MilitiaPoints have fursure added some action the last few days, its a good start for sure. +the stun fix is fire

We were fighting 2v5+ and the other misc groups running around, were good fights. I just want to see militias be endgame pvp for uof with good pvp mechanics, wands, template diversity, etc. We have tons of end game pvm content for pvmers like rdas/champs/minibosses.

If you don't like wands, etc you don't have to be in militias it's 100% optional and consensual pvp. There are levels of pvp imo I started off playing a solo blue alchy mage just running around khaldun, then brit bridge blue pvped, solod on red and then got into factions. Now i only play uo because of factions/militias. I've had many deaths and never raged about one, always kept two things in mind while pvping.

1.its okay to die in a pvp game-chad

2.Losing makes you strong-Ras

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
the term "end game" makes little to no sense to me in this game. There is no such thing, everything will continue to evolve.

We could look at adding a leaderboard but as usual with any kind of leaderboard, it can be exploited. Yes I know the responses will be "ban the people who exploit it!" but that doesn't really accomplish anything.

The problem with militia vendors is the system is really designed to work as a team and have a team pool of points, not really individual.

not trying to be a dick or anything just being honest but you have never really got into pvp so it makes sense you don't understand it. It's not your playstyle and that's okay it's a sandbox mmo. Adam didn't pvp either but understood what pvpers what wanted and realized factions is endgame pvp. He talked to pvpers, did a ton of research and development, took their advice and got factions booming. Blair adds in wands + misc improvements and pvp improved even more. We have videos of 6+ groups(even after eqms left) running around this summer, factions removed + recent pvp changes make it clunky. Its not just a coincidence that since the removal of factions and mechanic changes we have seen a decline in pvp. I'm all for militias and moving forward as you can tell from our pms in discord. You need to put yourselves in a pvper shoes, you guys cater to pvmers with endless content. All pvpers want are good pvp mechanics and a working endgame pvp system.

Swayze

Grandmaster
I talk to PVPers all the time and PVP.

The term "end game" just makes no sense to me. If we added all pvp aspects into the game... is that considered "end game"? The term "end game" to me refers to a perfected system - something that we try to strive for but will never be accomplished.

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
I talk to PVPers all the time and PVP.

The term "end game" just makes no sense to me. If we added all pvp aspects into the game... is that considered "end game"? The term "end game" to me refers to a perfected system - something that we try to strive for but will never be accomplished.

[e sigh

De Medici

Grandmaster
No. I would try to convince the people in my guild to give it a shot. $N$ is by far the biggest pvp guild. We can bring 10 competent pvp players to the field almost 24/7 since we have korean, many european and americans in our guild. We usually play on reds cause we cant find an other group who wants to fight vs 10 pvp players. By going on reds we can force other players to fight against us but this doesnt replace a real pvp fight. Therefore we often end up playing 5v5 in bucs within our guild.

Make a score system like in faction and a leaderboard.

If you want to build a house you should start with the fundament and not with the decoration.

The wand changes are absolutly awful but I assume they will be fixed anyway. I would simply delete all wands. To much trouble to restock

Last edited:

Epic Flail-

Apprentice

Gotcha, was just thinking out load. There will always be someone who does their best to exploit the leader boards yes, I get that, I see it often enough to know it is possible and easily done. For someone to invest that amount of time to do so vs a player who is actually pvping will show and no not ban them, yes that is pointless as well, but it still gives people a reason to push harder, pvp harder, maybe search out the exploiter or top players on the leader board and try to take them down a peg or two.

I agree end game in this style of game isn't accurate, it is more of a term used to give people a sense of accomplishment.

Lexington

Grandmaster
can you explain what your definition of endgame pvp is?

End game PVP was when the defense talisman helped (against mobs) while in PVP combat.

End game PVP is also when you've accomplished everything you wanted to in game and simply fight for the enjoyment of the combat. Order / Chaos was a great example of this back in the day. People joined just to fight. The addition of Red factions and Red Militia town fighting ruined that tho!

Last edited: