Can I have fun please?

Kael

Master
Set up an escape macro. I really can't recall the last time I was actually pk'd. I mean I lose fights frequently when I'm pvping but it has been a long, long time since I have died straight up to a pk and have not been able to recall out. There are tons of spawn areas to hunt out there that bring in good loot and aren't heavily camped by reds.

I wish there was something to be done about the Young and just out of young status players being targeted by griefers..I was fairly fortunate in that aspect I've always hated Brit and managed to avoid it...but on the Kill cam it was pretty obvious that it goes on here more than it should and probably stunts growth to some extent.

noobs will always be targeted by griefers... I think they are fortunate to be in a young status for as long as they are. When i started playing UO (14 years ago) there was no young status and the game was riddled with house exploits and no secure storage. GMs had to be paged to replace your doors if you lost or had the key stolen.

People learned pretty quick back then to protect themselves and their belongings. I think people just coming out of young are still under the illusion that they are untouchable. So they do the same things they were doing as when they were in young status, and all of a sudden an entirely new world hits them of PKs and Thieves. Embrace this new world those who have become adults in this world known as UO.

Kith kannen

Master
noobs will always be targeted by griefers... I think they are fortunate to be in a young status for as long as they are. When i started playing UO (14 years ago) there was no young status and the game was riddled with house exploits and no secure storage. GMs had to be paged to replace your doors if you lost or had the key stolen.

People learned pretty quick back then to protect themselves and their belongings. I think people just coming out of young are still under the illusion that they are untouchable. So they do the same things they were doing as when they were in young status, and all of a sudden an entirely new world hits them of PKs and Thieves. Embrace this new world those who have become adults in this world known as UO.
I get it.. I also grew up in that era I also spent 99% of my time napping griefers but that was a different (no statloss) time..a lot of new players aren't familiar with how things work here and coming out of young status and getting shat on constantly while your still using clickies for spells etc isn't going to grow the server..they might love it if they are somewhat eased into it...quite sure a large percentage of players quit after getting shit on a couple of times in their first few play sessions.

I get it.. I also grew up in that era I also spent 99% of my time napping griefers but that was a different (no statloss) time..a lot of new players aren't familiar with how things work here and coming out of young status and getting shat on constantly while your still using clickies for spells etc isn't going to grow the server..they might love it if they are somewhat eased into it...quite sure a large percentage of players quit after getting shit on a couple of times in their first few play sessions.

young status = easing players into it. BRAND new players should be finding nice people to ally with and help them to learn the game. Maybe joining a guild for newbs.

Or maybe you could start holding their hands after they get out of young status?

Sarphus

Journeyman
I think the new player system is sufficient. Granted, I was a LONG time UO vet that started the month after OSI UO's release so the systems in place weren't foreign to me except when I got pked the first time (as a new) and my stuff was still on me when I res'd. I was kinda baffled lol.

The skill gain rates and macroing policy here make it easy to get started even if you're getting pked a lot. I started < 25 days ago and am pretty much established and getting pked has a fairly minimal impact on me.

PM me if you're new to the server and having trouble getting started. I'll pass along some tips that should help you.

halygon

Grandmaster

+1

When i started in 98 it was like this. My first day I ran out the east brit road to hunt and immediately got dirted by a red at the U bend. I got back to town pissed off and grabed some people (who later became friends) and went after the red with my 50 fencing skill and 4 other blues. Good times..

bzkl13

Apprentice
While I totally disagree with implementing PvP free areas/facets/etc., I think the attitude could be a little different towards OP. I'm surprised no one has said "join a guild" or "develop a player driven solution". When I first started here it was relentless slaughter by PKs that drove me to join some guilds lol. If you can find some folks who got your back, or at least can rez you when you get slayed (happens to everyone) you'll be in a much better position.

I played back in the day, but things are a bit different now. It's more twitchy, so folks who haven't been honing their skills for +10 years are maybe a little behind. Not really sure there's a way around that one, except practicing with folks who are more up to date. Maybe some companion could host a "Recall Macros 101" class for folks or something. I know there's the forums/wiki/videos etc, but sometimes it's nice to be shown in game. Some things haven't changed though, like teaming up w/ some other folks.

With that in mind, if you simply can't handle the Felucca ruleset, there may be better shards for you.

EDIT: while I was writing this @scavengerdeluxe & @halygon said the exact same things sooooo nm lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Kith kannen

Master
young status = easing players into it. BRAND new players should be finding nice people to ally with and help them to learn the game. Maybe joining a guild for newbs.

Or maybe you could start holding their hands after they get out of young status?
once I'm at my "bank sitting" fase of my UO forever career I'm sure I'll spend quite a bit of time enjoying that pastime and all the benefits that go along with it.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Did you read what I said at all? I understand its part of the game and I'm not asking for it to be removed.

Im asking if there is any plans to accommodate the people like me (maybe I'm the only one) who don't want to have to worry about that or at least make it clear that this is what your going to be dealing with when you start playing

I answered your question fully. As others have stated here, there are methods to reduce the risk of being murdered or stolen from. If you feel that things are over the top for you, then maybe you need to find elsewhere to play.

halygon

Grandmaster
I answered your question fully. As others have stated here, there are methods to reduce the risk of being murdered or stolen from. If you feel that things are over the top for you, then maybe you need to find elsewhere to play.
Bit of a crude response, don't you think? While it is true that a non-trammel UO shard is not for everyone, to tell someone that is looking for answers and have not fully tried all possiblities, that maybe they should play somewhere else if they feel that things or over the top is the wrong direction to take this.

He stated that he understands the mechanics and just wants to have some place to farm with friends without being interrupted. As said before, there are options for him to minimize the risk and exposure to PvP traffic areas. Let them try these before you go ahead and say that this shard isn't for them.

In addition, the question was only if there were plans for consensual PvP areas or not -- i think we all made assumptions based off of this question and jumped to them.

**EDIT: I just saw that he already quit. Whelp -- I guess that says it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
why was trammel so bad? i always found it interesting to switch between the facets. enhanced my gaming experience.

I remember when i first started playing UO. I needed some golds to get some skills, someone at the bank said I should make fancy shirts and sell them back to vendors. I did this for a while and had some golds. Then i was all set to get to killing monsters. I didnt know about macroing skills up or anything of the sort. I was advised the Yew Crypts was a good place to kill zombies. So i went there, was there probably 30 minutes, had a good amount of gold then all of a sudden someone comes in and drops a paralyze field on me, im like wtf is this. Then they start throwing about 10 purple pots on the ground after mana draining me (which drained all my mana), not that i could have done anything anyways. Then im dead and im a ghost. Im like .... hmm now what do i do. Guys on IRC say to find a healer, i rez and wtf I have nothing on me anymore. I say to myself "So when you die, you lose everything on your character, FUKIN AWESOME". Immediately went to work finding out how to become one of these mysterious para field dropping PK's. Two weeks later im hunting the Yew Crypts again, just not for zombies anymore.

Case in point - UO has been getting easier and easier over the years, especially with being able to pay IRL money to get golds in game, so many noob friendly guilds, Razor ( we had to use like UO Auto Pilot and another one that just recorded exactly what you mouse clicked. back then to macro). Maybe this easier is not better, but worse for new people. when people have to work for something they put more value in it. When you are just handed shit, you dont feel that it has much value.

When you are young status and all of a sudden you get pk'd a week later your like "I want to be young again!". Maybe if when you joined and you got shit on from the start, you would start to realize what this game is going to entail, rather than feeling so cheated after losing your blanket (young status).

And to be technical, you can hang out in trammel all day if you want on this server. It's called the duel pits, do it and maybe you will learn something.

ive done pretty much anything in uo thats worth doing - from pk, to pvp, to pvm, crafting, housing, exploiting, lol'ing, moaning, shouting, crying, etc. before 2000 and after 2000
i still dont see why trammel should be bad. doesnt that increase the player base? wouldnt that increase the casual guilds having fun exploring the dungeons instead of getting ripped by 2-3 experienced pk's in a minute? there are many casuals who dont get better at playing, nothing to blame there. some just suck and others just have crap ping times to be more competitive. for them, some aspects of the game are not fun in fel but would be fun in trammel.
more options are a good thing. no? more players, isnt that the goal of this game?

Yewguards

Expert
Everyone wants every shard to cater towards their own personal play style. If you like the shard minus a few aspects like most of us, you'll make it work. If you hate it, well then you're probably never going to like the shard regardless of staff changes. I personally adapted and now love it.

Sarphus

Journeyman
why was trammel so bad? i always found it interesting to switch between the facets. enhanced my gaming experience.
It split the population and ultimately caused most players to just stay in trammel all the time for easier and safer farming/trading.

It's a delicate balance. It's very difficult to build a system that makes it fun for wolves but also fun enough for sheep that they don't leave all together. If you add trammel, all of the sheep stay there which causes the wolves to starve.

It split the population and ultimately caused most players to just stay in trammel all the time for easier and safer farming/trading.

It's a delicate balance. It's very difficult to build a system that makes it fun for wolves but also fun enough for sheep that they don't leave all together. If you add trammel, all of the sheep stay there which causes the wolves to starve.

This is so true, and even the now farmers who will go out and risk some regs to farm in a dungeon will be like, screw this ima just go farm in the trammel so I can watch TV at the same time and not have to worry about getting PK'd. Shit, if the loot was as good I would farm trammel too, on my red even with perfect slayer weapon and full invuln. I mean, i could create a macro within UOSteam to farm for me, without any risk of PK's i could AFK farm 24/7 in the trammel.

You know what happens then? People will whine and ***** because another trammite is stealing all their mobs, theres not enough mobs to go around. Then what do quitters do? They quit, with or without trammel. They whine and ***** and quit. Thats what ruins UO, its not getting pk'd all the time because you insist on farming in the BGY after getting PK'd there numerous times in the past. Its the whiners who complain about everything, want something to change, and even if it does change in their favor, they still arent happy.

So main case in point - if your not having any fun why play. Pull up win solitare, dont play games online tho, because the second you have some competition you are going to complain, want it to change, then quit.

Adapt or die

Darkarna

Grandmaster
**EDIT: I just saw that he already quit. Whelp -- I guess that says it all.

And thus the reason for a pretty harsh response. I just hope the door didn't have a nail sticking out when it slammed behind him.. UO was destroyed by people like this and the best way to save what we love is not to cater for players like this. Leave just one molecule of a contaminant in a cupboard and the entire cupboard will eventually fester out of control.

Sorry but its true :p.