Champ Spawns - Gold Sink Idea

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
http://www.uoforum.com/threads/lame-champion-mechanic.65965/#post-473566

This pertains partially to the above thread.

I know there are quite a lot of people that are tired of having reds "raid" at the end of sometimes every champ spawn throughout the day/night which in turn makes people feel that all the hard work they put in for 2-3+ hours was "wasted". Some guilds/people put up fights and others don't. I have a different approach to this "problem" versus trying to add defensive measures (if they were to be considered)... it's -

Add a gold sink item that involves a player paying "X" gold that opens a portal to a new champion spawn site - ex. in T2A.. This portal would have to be able to be opened for example in someone's house... or else it would defeat the purpose of this.

Depending "how much gold//' this item would cost and the "quantity" that would be available on the gold sink vendor (5 a week.. etc) would determine how often the other champ spawns would be done - Abyss, Deceit, Despise, Destard, etc etc.

Some work involved though would require blocking off the site so that people cant go explore "all" of T2A.

Flame away POWER and ]$[...............

@Shane @Kairus

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Sadly I've got to flame this, but not really flame.

Regular UO made dungeons a no recall/gate zone and you had to go in via entrance or portals. Raids were a daily common thing. Those doing the champ spawns also had to defend the spawns. That's how my guild made its living was doing and raiding spawns. A lot of the game mechanics of course are different than regular UO so it makes it a LOT tougher to defend a spawn. On a daily basis we'd raid guilds smaller or larger than us with a set plan of what to do within the dungeon. Choke points, res stations, etc... From my point of view and in your own alliance there is no real effort to do any thing I said above. However most raids are people coming in and killing pets of people who don't pvp normally. The zerg is real. It's out there. It comes. Learn to defend against it.

Regular UO allowed champ spawns in Tram/Tram ruled areas but did not reward PS. Why? Because there was no real risk. This is the issue here. Risk. You've got to take it. You already have the point system to HELP keep a spawn yours and you guys HAVE been rewarded scrolls after a raid. Maybe not to your bank, but still rewarded.

Streets

Grandmaster
I am going to have to vote against this idea as well. While I do think this shard has an issue with reds. No I don't want trammel but there is so little downside to being red here there are going to be alot more reds than average.

In my opinion to help aleviate the original posters concern, we desperately need more consiquence for being red. On original osi servers they where not a aloud in town and hunted by other players. Here they walk freely sit protected by guards in town, and worst case scenario if they die they just log onto another toon for 48 hours. This is a blow to cummunity balance.

Reds attack in squads blues have no esentiae to hunt reds (30k for a head is a couple npc kills) not to mention the over abundance of no cut zones. I am not against no cut zones but there are sure plenty of them.

And to add onto what @Blaine the Gypsy said about risk vs reward. The current state there is more risk than there is reward we need some ballance

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
With the current point system I don't see how the raiders could get the rewards from spawns anyways.
Reds not being able to receive PS would be one thing.
Raid on reds then come having to beat the point build up by the previous owner.
That's the only way I see it being possible how it is set now.

Weland

Grandmaster
Could perhaps adding a point level that will lock you into being part of the reward handouts. Such as if you get a point score of X then even if you get run off from the raid you still get X number of tallies towards you getting a scroll. This way if you invest an absurd amount of time and energy only get zerged out you still have a chance at winning something.

I get the original intent behind UO however UOF doesn't have the player base. I think this will not only help people to want to keep coming to champs but also maybe bring a new life to the pvp at champs. Instead of them stealthing some one till the end then zerging they will actually want to pvp from the start to keep players from hitting that magic number.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Well considering the new boss mob summoning in Destard you have the possibility of getting a relic in your bank.... it should work just as well with champions. Also Champions need an upgrade/update anyways. They get kinda crusty on the edges.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I'll take crusty over convoluted any day.

Maybe give champs a refresher but the drop mechanics should 100% remain unchanged.

Madd Dogg

Master
Could perhaps adding a point level that will lock you into being part of the reward handouts. Such as if you get a point score of X then even if you get run off from the raid you still get X number of tallies towards you getting a scroll. This way if you invest an absurd amount of time and energy only get zerged out you still have a chance at winning something.

I get the original intent behind UO however UOF doesn't have the player base. I think this will not only help people to want to keep coming to champs but also maybe bring a new life to the pvp at champs. Instead of them stealthing some one till the end then zerging they will actually want to pvp from the start to keep players from hitting that magic number.

Having a minimum score to get rewards might actually be the best answer. This way if a guild wants to raid and take over a spawn they must do it early and then they will also have to defend it from possible raids of other guilds as well. Might help the non-pvp guilds as well since either they know they will get something regardless of being raided if they are left alone long enough or they will get raided early enough in the champ where they wont feel they wasted 1-2 hours of their lives for no rewards.

Points shouldn'y be a hard number but more like only the top 50% of scores have a chance of getting scrolls

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
Its just so easy for some guilds to raid a champ successfully due to the "timing" of when they do it.

Usually when they raid - its when the boss spawns and is half dead ... With everyone who did the champ having to fight off the last level mob + boss ... Some people would be dead.. Others would have dead pets... Others low in stock... And here comes 10+ reds fully stocked and are most likely in TS.

Between the spawn, boss and fully stocked reds in a "call".. Its so easy to see how champ spawns are taken over sometimes. Thus, with 10-15 minutes of work - they earned all rewards of the champion spawn.

Another alternative i like instead mentioned above by others - i like the idea of there being a minimum score needed to get a drop from the champ spawn... This would make reds having to raid earlier and participate in the killing of the spawn levels and to fend off other guilds/blues raiding... I think it might encourage more PVP as well with others trying to take it over mid-spawn.

This would also impact the 1 devoted scroll for factioneers. A lot of people find it annoying with seeing factioneers getting a scroll even if they only have 100 score points for example.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Raiders should only get the scrolls if A: They raid and kill everyone after the champ is dead removing the scrolls from corpses. B: If they have enough points to be awarded scrolls. C: A factor of A and B....

I really dislike the devoted faction scroll. Come in hit something once hide in a corner and get a scroll is not cool.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
@Shane

Hi Shane,

Is there any chance that the devoted faction scroll can be deemed a regular scroll given out as the other 3? Often there are times where a factioneer would kill just a few of the spawn monsters and they would be rewarded with a scroll with such a low score, regardless.

K A Z

Grandmaster
the faction scroll should be remove entirely. The people getting them are often never to be seen factioning, anyways.

I don't like the idea btw. I mean it's pretty obvious that I don't like it, but for some reason I personally am still convinced that people should just defend their spawns themselves. I could see something like an account wide champ area ban after youve died on a red in a champ area for some minutes, but other than that I think its pretty stoopid.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
To sum this thread up ...

•Suggestion 1 - create a gold sink item for "x gold" that is available at "x quantity" weekly/monthly that opens up a champion spawn portal to T2A for example.

•Suggestion 2 - Make a champion score point minimum in order to be eligible for a rare drop, power scroll or relic.

•Suggestion 3 - Make the devoted factioneer powerscroll a regular random powerscroll thats given out

•••I dont care personally for number 1 as much as i do for number 2 and 3•••

I can tell you all this though... If the roles were reversed and 10-15 reds started a champ... And they were on L4 with the boss out and some of them would be dead due to the spawn and/or have dead pets.. The outcome would be way different if a group raided you guys with 10-15 people at the very end... spawn + boss + pvp = chaossss for any guild/alliance

Last edited by a moderator:

Weland

Grandmaster
I think my message was misunderstood. I meant once you hit a certain champ score you are guaranteed a scroll whether you are there or not. If you are dead/got run off then it would drop in your bank.

Benefits of coming early to PK:

You can still hoard the drops if you prevent the other peeps from getting to that magic number
If you fail but some how manage a decent score you still get something

Benefits to the non pvpers

You show up spend an hour or so get run off still get something

Messremb

Grandmaster
the faction scroll should be remove entirely. The people getting them are often never to be seen factioning, anyways.

I don't like the idea btw. I mean it's pretty obvious that I don't like it, but for some reason I personally am still convinced that people should just defend their spawns themselves. I could see something like an account wide champ area ban after youve died on a red in a champ area for some minutes, but other than that I think its pretty stoopid.
Pretty much this

The only thing wrong with defending Champs is guilds like power where even if you stop them 10 times they just keep coming Back. If a red dies in a champ area they should be stuck unable to log out until champ is finished.

Also faction scroll no longer accomplishes its purpose, do away with it, don't make champs drop 4 PSs.

people need to learn to defend their own champs, or pay a guild to do it for you.

Have alt pvp chars ready to go, in party, and use TS. Guess what? you just got on even footing with the raiders.

I will share a few more tips.

Have at least three stealth chars at every champ if raid happens, have them hide and stay in range for scrolls.

use para and energy field spells at choke points to prevent organized pre loaded attacks. Also use a tamer near these to get kills

Have every ones bars and cross heal. Focus on tamers, so long a they are up their pets can be used to defend.

For gods sake use ts and call targets.

With as large as the 2 pvm alliances are they really should never lose a champ.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Pretty much this

The only thing wrong with defending Champs is guilds like power where even if you stop them 10 times they just keep coming Back. If a red dies in a champ area they should be stuck unable to log out until champ is finished.

Also faction scroll no longer accomplishes its purpose, do away with it, don't make champs drop 4 PSs.

people need to learn to defend their own champs, or pay a guild to do it for you.

Have alt pvp chars ready to go, in party, and use TS. Guess what? you just got on even footing with the raiders.

I will share a few more tips.

Have at least three stealth chars at every champ if raid happens, have them hide and stay in range for scrolls.

use para and energy field spells at choke points to prevent organized pre loaded attacks. Also use a tamer near these to get kills

Have every ones bars and cross heal. Focus on tamers, so long a they are up their pets can be used to defend.

For gods sake use ts and call targets.

With as large as the 2 pvm alliances are they really should never lose a champ.

we raided silly santa's guild the other night with around 8 of us - we ended up fighting azria's guild there (they had 4-6) + blues and were wiped off completely atleast one time. Some guys lost 2-3 chars during that, and at the end we were able to sack in 2 out of 3 PSs and 1 skull - 105s that is. Some of our people went down 3 chars they could possibly play that night. Dunno, but to me it seems as if it was pretty much a good trade-off for the trammys, especially since they didnt even TRY TO ATTACK ON PVP TOONS. Instead they just kept on ressing and sneaking back in hoping for some trammy item to appear in their backpack - I mean we didn't do any damage to the champ, so if they just WIPED US OUT they would have easily gotten the scrolls - but they'd rather be pussies.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Although the alliance is large - its not like we have 15+ 24/7 at the majority of every champion spawn messyroom !

Maybe you shouldnt have cancelled your contract with EQMS... we provided you with tons of protection when you did champs. Now you guys are back to getting wiped at every single one because you lack organization and any ability to PVP.