Change CTF to 2 teams

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
Hi,

I would like to propose that CTF be changed to only 2 teams, rather than 4. The reason is that there is not enough players to warrant a 4 team CTF 98.2% of the time. (Yes this statistic is exact. Trust me, I'm a wizard)

On average there are 2-3 players per team for a 4 team CTF. When the numbers are low it's more like 1-2, and when the numbers are high it's more like 4-5.

Even with 5 people per team, it is not sufficient for each team to have much of a defense or offense because there are so few players.

You see, when the teams are smaller, each person must take on more responsibility to help their team. They must go for flags when appropriate, and defend when needed, and they need to be able to do both very well. This makes it harder for players who are inexperienced in CTF or UO in general and causes the team to lack what it needs at the right times. For example, if your team has a player who does nothing but wanders around aimlessly attacking random players for no reason (you know who you are), in a smaller team, this severely hurts the team as that player is contributing nothing to the overall objective of the game. In a larger team, where the players are divided up into 2 teams rather than 4, that same player has less of a negative effect on his team, because there are more people to pick up his slack on defense or offense.

It also makes it more challenging with only 2 teams for the people who like going for the flags. When it's 4 people per team with such low numbers, it's almost a given that you can walk into anybody's base at any time you please because they will almost certainly have no defense. However, with only 2 teams, flaggers must work together more to stay alive and overcome the maze.

I believe that this change would make CTF more enjoyable for everybody, and would greatly appreciate some input from staff.

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
There was a ton tonight on CTF.

Hi Swayze,

Thanks for your input, and I agree that there were an unusually high amount of players in last night's CTF. A minute or two after the game started I checked the team numbers and I believe each team had 6-7 players. I would ask some of the other CTF regulars how they felt about the numbers and whether they thought it was unusual as well. @Snickle is about the only person I know off the top of my head who plays regularly and whose forum name I know, but I'd like any other regulars to chime in also.

However, I still don't believe that these numbers are sufficient to warrant 4 teams. If we regularly had CTFs with at least 8-9 people per team, I would say OK, let's keep it at 4 teams, but 6-7 is not enough imo, especially when it's not consistently 6-7, and at that size I still believe that the teams should be divided into two, so that each person can take on a more dedicated role rather than having to wear multiple hats, so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator: