Charged Runes

Tidalian

Expert
Runebooks revolutionized the need for basic Magery skill to cast Recall for most occasions. The only lingering reason for me to keep any Magery on certain characters is to use Mark scrolls if I find myself somewhere that I'd like to get back to quickly.

What I propose is the ability to charge an unmarked rune with enough magical energy to self-mark when activated by a character with no Magery. For the one charging the rune, this would require a sizable number of reagents and high skill, such that the resulting item would need to be sold for considerably more than a standard Mark scroll + unmarked rune combo. I'd pay easily 10k a rune for these puppies just for their utility and the subsequently freed up skill points. Rather than only requiring Magery+reagents to charge an unmarked rune, you could also require high Inscription to give crafters a tie-in.

Anyhow, feel free to tell me why this idea would ruin UOF. xD

Grizard

Adept
I think this is kind of lazy. It is almost a joke to hit 70-80 magic skill. Take the 10k, create another character and just level up the magic.

Tidalian

Expert
The point is that sometimes you have a pure warrior character who has explored far and don't necessarily want to switch to a character with magery just to run all the way to that spot and mark a rune for him. I don't really see it as any lazier than any other skill whose abilities can be condensed into a transferable item for others without that ability to use (i.e. repair contracts, when you could just 'create another character and level up the crafting skill'), giving those users an item they can profit from selling.

Bromista

Grandmaster
It's not an awful idea, but I have never been anywhere that wasn't pretty easy to get back to for a mage alt to mark. It's all at your nearest library!

Tidalian

Expert
@Bromista: I can appreciate that being true for many users, but I also think there are enough edge cases out there who would take advantage of it to make it worthwhile for both buyers and sellers. Personally, I enjoy stealthing into obscure locations on my pvm thief and marking runes to come back quickly in the inevitable event of my death, but would prefer to put those magery points into something more useful and running in with an alt isn't terribly feasible after stealthing past a bunch of stuff that'd clean my clock.

@Blaine: I saw that idea when looking for anything similar and I definitely liked it! Sad it didn't curry more support, since it seemed like a good use of moonstones as a concept.