Criminal fee and couple ideas for forensics

Dellan

Grandmaster
Hail my fellow citizens of Sosaria!

Are thou sickened of thieves running free on your town's streets, only to face minor time as a ghost if thy nearest shopkeeper or fellow officer decides to stand up against crime commited and calls for guards/apprehends criminal with deadly force?

Current penalty for getting guardwhacked or killed while perma is laughable - only two minutes before scum of the earth can continue thieving again. Thus, I propose a devious idea.

If criminal gets guardwhacked while grey/permagrey, he is given an option - Pay a fee: let's say 500gp and endure current time before he can ress himself as a fine given by local guards, or
Deny the payment of fee: and suffer 4 minutes (aka twice the current time for permagrey) locked up in jail. Yes, I mean real prison!

If criminal is dispatched by player, he is given same option, however in this case, when criminal pays the fee, the payment goes to said vigilante who slain him.

Such proposal shall motivate more law abiding citizens, especially officers of the law (aka Detectives, those who have forensic evaluation skill) to stand up against criminals who tread the thin line between law and crime.

Regarding forensics:
1. After finding a corpse and using GM forensics on it, name of killer and who disturbed the corpse is given. That is not enough. GM Detective should find a clue on the corpse, regarding location of killer. He is then able to recall from the clue (mana free) close to killer, screen or two away. However, the killer himself receives a message as instinct telling him "Your gut tells you law is after you!", so he can prepare for the fight. If killer recalls, he leaves a clue visible only to detective that is after him, from which detective can recall close to his location again. However, if the corpse decomposes to bones, detective will get a message stating that "The killer's trail grown too cold for you to locate him." And, if detective that is chasing said criminal dies, he loses the clue.

2. As I understand, if thief dies withing 2 minutes from last steal, the item is given back to it's owner. That is good. But! My point here is that if killed by detective that used the skill on him, the item should be given to detective in an evidence pouch, with the pouch named after its previous owner. There, he decides if he keeps the item (as a crooked cop) or gives it back to its owner. If he decides to go the good cop way, he will receive a point. After collecting enough points, he can pick up a reward, like blessed police uniform, police hat, whistle, statue saying "Given to *insert detective's name here* for upholding the law" etc...

Done.

John Kimble

Apprentice
I'm Detective John.Kimble and I approve of this message.

Now, @Dellan

FYheheP.png

I really like this idea. At minimum let Forensic Eval tell us if a thief is permagrey so we can kill them in town without getting guardwhacked if they arent!

drinn

Grandmaster
If criminal gets guardwhacked while grey/permagrey, he is given an option - Pay a fee: let's say 500gp and endure current time before he can ress himself as a fine given by local guards, or
Deny the payment of fee: and suffer 4 minutes (aka twice the current time for permagrey) locked up in jail. Yes, I mean real prison!.

No-Meme-The-Office-15.gif

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
this sounds like fun, wouldn't mind going out hunting thieves and having another use for a very underused skill

Dellan

Grandmaster
Methinks devs implemented that forensics tell you now if thief is wanted criminal.. Not sure though.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Dang, tried searching in patch notes but found nothing. I haven't played in a long while, so my knowledge is off. We need a detective to shed some light on this matter!

Dellan

Grandmaster
I must sadly report, after making my very own detective, that GM forensics won't tell you if thief is permagray, even if he stole from you (and you see him grey). I guess possible workaround would be having snooping in your detective template, checking thief's bag and keeping it opened, and once you see him near someone with item appearing in his bag, you'd attack. Kinda half-assed, but still it's only way I can think of.

luckily thats an easy skill to raise. ive had GM forensics before and it made me sad. had to guess if someone was perma gray. Id just attack with only a newbie kriss on me in case i was wrong in town