Data usage questions

Dig'em

Grandmaster
Hey folks, I've been absent for a few weeks here cuz I moved and I have to get satellite internet. I'm getting ready to order how much data I want a month. How many GBs would I use if I played UO like 30 hours a month?

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Uo is very data friendly. 30 hours of uo will probably be less than 2 gig on its own. However if you watch any steam it can add up very quick.

Uofreakkk

Adept
Satellite internet is probably the worst internet you can have for online gaming. It's even worse than Dial-up ping wise.. I have had hughes net and My friend had Blue wire and both pinged over 1000 ping because of the time it takes to ping from the base to the satellite to your house. For the amount of money you pay for Satellite internet you shouldn't get caps but the ping is behind anyone's control.

What I would recommend is if you can pick up verizon or Sprint service get 4 g lte internet from Wireless n Wifi. It's around 60gb cap & 5$ per Gb you go over (which u can use their site to monitor) and the speed ping is faster than any cable I have had. No contracts and around 80$ a month which seems like a lot but it's cheaper than Satellite and your ping for gaming will be fast along with fast downloading & uploading and there is no contract with is an extra bonus. You can use it as a wifi to run multiple computers in your house too. I run my Destop & laptop with skype, 3 clients of uo and watching youtube and I still get like 30 to 40 ping on uo.

If you are stuck with Satellite then to answer your question Ultima Online hardly takes any usage since it is an old game with low graphics and doesn't use much bandwidth to run but I would definitely check into Wireless n Wifi as you won't regret it as much as you will satellite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dig'em

Grandmaster
Unfortunately this internet service is all I could get, but hopefully it's playable. 1000ping? Like wtf

Uofreakkk

Adept
Unfortunately this internet service is all I could get, but hopefully it's playable. 1000ping? Like wtf

That's what I thought to I can't get cable or Dsl here and I was told I could only get Satellite, then I checked verizon and spint service areas for 4g lte which pretty much covers the entire United States and went with Wirless & Wifi which is cheaper than going through Verizon or Sprint. There is also another 4g lte company that services in certain areas Verizon and Spring doesn't. If you want I can check the service areas for ya to see if you're eligible.

If not ya you are going to have horrible ping because the amount of time it takes to relay the ping from earth to space to earth again is what causes the insane ping. You will barely be able to walk in Ultima Online much less any other game and you wouldn't be able to stream, watch youtube or even skype while playing without huge delays.

You'd almost be better off getting dial- up for gaming as your ping would be like 300 opposed to like 1000+

Bubbles

Master
Not sure if I'm too late on this,but two years ago satellite was only internet I could get. UO was sooo laggy I bought a USB modem adapter from china and used dial up to play.. Most nostalgic way to EVER play UO lol. It was still way better than my satellite connection.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dig'em

Grandmaster
I'm playing now on satellite 800 ping average with it raining outside, like a 1 second lag on everything indo

Garet Jax

Grandmaster
Uo is very data friendly. 30 hours of uo will probably be less than 2 gig on its own. However if you watch any steam it can add up very quick.
less than 2 gigs? rofl Id imagine less than 1 gig is more like it. Be more worried about your ping, you will probably be doing a whole lot of crafting friend.

Garet Jax

Grandmaster
Satellite internet is probably the worst internet you can have for online gaming. It's even worse than Dial-up ping wise.. I have had hughes net and My friend had Blue wire and both pinged over 1000 ping because of the time it takes to ping from the base to the satellite to your house. For the amount of money you pay for Satellite internet you shouldn't get caps but the ping is behind anyone's control.

What I would recommend is if you can pick up verizon or Sprint service get 4 g lte internet from Wireless n Wifi. It's around 60gb cap & 5$ per Gb you go over (which u can use their site to monitor) and the speed ping is faster than any cable I have had. No contracts and around 80$ a month which seems like a lot but it's cheaper than Satellite and your ping for gaming will be fast along with fast downloading & uploading and there is no contract with is an extra bonus. You can use it as a wifi to run multiple computers in your house too. I run my Destop & laptop with skype, 3 clients of uo and watching youtube and I still get like 30 to 40 ping on uo.

If you are stuck with Satellite then to answer your question Ultima Online hardly takes any usage since it is an old game with low graphics and doesn't use much bandwidth to run but I would definitely check into Wireless n Wifi as you won't regret it as much as you will satellite.
80$ for 60gb cap? LOL more like try $110 month for 20 gb....

Uofreakkk

Adept
80$ for 60gb cap? LOL more like try $110 month for 20 gb....
That's Sprint & Verizon if you go through them. Wifi & Wireless is a company that buys a bunch of bandwidth from them at a discount and resells it at a lower price with a higher cap. There are many places that do this..

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Dig your in Canada right? Send be a pm when you get a chance and I'll explain what I do. I live out in the country with no good Internet to be had but I ping about 120-150.