DirectSound SetPan Failed

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
I recently bought a new Dell computer.

For some reason... every time I go AFK for 20-30+ minutes I end receiving the below error. When I click "OK" , I end up getting disconnected from UOForever... has anyone else seen this happen before?

I use Razor by the way.

kxkfvxR.png

Young Star

Grandmaster
What you do to fix it. I get it once in a while when i change locations on my laptop. Usually i can just sign vwck in but sometimes that error comes up and i have to start a new client

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
This fixed it !

All jokes aside lol... Since this is a "new computer", there was a setting I had to manually change in regard to my "Power Options" on my computer. Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings.

+Turn off Display: This was set to 15 minutes. I had to select "NEVER".
+Put the computer to sleep: This was set to 15 minutes as well. I had to select "NEVER" for this as well.

Basically what would happen is... I would go AFK for 15 minutes+. I would come back to my computer, and my screen would be off and my computer would be in "Sleep mode". Once I would click my mouse - my display would turn back on and it would come out of "sleep mode". Then I would see that popup error message associated with UOForever. Once I would click "OK" - my character in game would usually be frozen and I would have to restart my UOF client.

I wish I realized that sooner... or I wouldn't have missed out on 4 days of Xmas Staff Handouts heh [e cry

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Star

Grandmaster
Ahh. I am pretty sure it is going in and out of sleep mode doing it. I would at least keep a screen timeout time to save electricity. I have mine set to never sleep. Only time i get that error is putting it to sleep while still logged in. It doesnt happen every time, only 20% of the time. Most of the time i just hit OK on the lost connection gump and log back in.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
It's a really strange problem to have with the UOF client + the computer going to sleep... but atleast the problem is identified :D

Luminary

Expert
Happens with UOSteam too, thought it was just me suffering this issue as I use an external USB soundcard. Has nothing to do with sleep mode as I lost my battery for my laptop, so its either on or it isn't. Not a big problem but would like updating on any fixes found. Thanks..

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
+ This was happening to me every time i would go afk for 15+ minutes. After i changed that setting on my computer, i have not seen this error message since Sunday.

Happens with UOSteam too, thought it was just me suffering this issue as I use an external USB soundcard. Has nothing to do with sleep mode as I lost my battery for my laptop, so its either on or it isn't. Not a big problem but would like updating on any fixes found. Thanks..

Just out of curiosity - i would try using Sallos or Razor and see if it happens with another type of client.

Luminary

Expert
Tried it and neither have this error message come up but razor causes my screen to flicker, always has hence me using steam.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
Oh i see..yeah im not sure why that happens with only Steam and not Sallos or Razor.

With RaZor and your screen flickering .. do you keep your client on "max" screen?

Ex. - Shift +Enter ?

Luminary

Expert
Yup.. 'tis the only way I can play 15.6" 1080p laptop screen. It's either that or a guaranteed migraine after 6 hours UO nerding. :(

Luminary

Expert
Yeah.. I know how to max the game window but that doesn't increase the size of the in-game graphics, I'm not playing in an 800x600 corner of my screen if that's what you were wondering.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
I used to have the same problem basically with Razor.

Max UO screen - I would be able to see decent size graphics..but my screen would flicker

Not max UO screen - Small graphics, but no screen flickering.

It came to a point where i would keep my UO screen "not max"..and my screen would not flicker. However, to increase my UO graphics - i changed my computer's display resolution from medium to large. It increases the picture size of everything on your computer..but also the UO graphics as well.