Donation Coins - Untradable

Illy

Master
This game is NOT hard to make gold in and I have no idea what unnattainable high end you're talking about.

How are players getting "quickly surpassed?" the basic needs to play this game is VERY cheap and VERY attainable. All the players with excess wealth just have bigger houses and shinier pixels, it doesn't hinder the new player at all.

I have 2 houses, a legendary tamer, all the gear I could possibly use, etc. and I don't get any of that stuff from donating.

Making donation coins unavailable to the new player unless they donate sends the OPPOSITE message and will decrease retention because now it feels like a much more pay-to-play style. For example, I know for a fact when I started here if I couldn't have an ethy horse without shelling out 10$, it would have left a bad taste in my mouth.

gofer

Grandmaster
I don't want to speak for Shane, but I've heard him say that one purpose of the donation coins is so that people that don't have the time to acquire gold in game can still acquire gold by donating to the server. I believe he likes the economy surrounding the donation coins. It's a win-win. The server gets $$ so it can survive and grow. People that could not otherwise spend time farming up a char or buy decent house can still enjoy the game in that way. He drew the line at skill balls however (which is a good idea for so many reasons I won't get into).

And I think everyone here is exaggerating the detriment to new players. What does a new player really need? Regs, bandaids, weaps, gold and armor? Gold is so easy to farm. All that stuff can be purchased either from NPC's or on player vendor's for cheap. A full barbed leather set costs 1K? Chain dex suit costs...1.5K? A starter house (even up to a log or villa) is so cheap and so easy to place still. There's literally a post in the forums where someone (Kiki?) offers to find a house location for free. When I make a new char, I always start from scratch and I never fish gold or items to them from my other chars. That's part of the fun for me - to pretend like it's my first char and play it like that until the char is finished. It takes only a few days to be up and running and have 100K sitting in my bank...

I also want to add that starting on a server should be hard. Way harder than it is actually.

Well said on the former and if that is his intention then it mirrors GW2's system, which I am most used to recently. GW2's model with the gems works in a similar fashion if you convert gems (Donation Coins) to gold (gold) and for that very reason (to give peeps that cannot play 24/7 an opportunity to catch up, buy cosmetics, etc).

asics

Grandmaster
i think the problem is another one.. MOST wanted item\rares have to arrive from LOOT instead Donation vendor, i mean

there is no really HIGH cost rares right now, that is in loot

but with donation u can take every wereables..so right now , if i want pimp my char, if i donate i get the best stuff .. plus ethy mounts, colored hair and shit like this..

if we will find in monster some hard and priced rares gold will be more used, add some gold sink too every week\month, and lets a part of the problem solved.

imho.

Harken110

Expert
i think the problem is another one.. MOST wanted item\rares have to arrive from LOOT instead Donation vendor, i mean

there is no really HIGH cost rares right now, that is in loot

but with donation u can take every wereables..so right now , if i want pimp my char, if i donate i get the best stuff .. plus ethy mounts, colored hair and shit like this..

if we will find in monster some hard and priced rares gold will be more used, add some gold sink too every week\month, and lets a part of the problem solved.

imho.

Well I don't know most PS are from champs which come from monsters a 120 taming PS is selling for 5.5mil or more? Then there's SS specifically taming being the most worthy.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
Because I, like them, started playing and built a foundation of funds when shit was still cheap. You buy, and resell etc, over and over. But it takes that initial foundation to do something like that. Someone joining fresh doesn't have that "luxury" *UNLESS* they donate.

That is simply not true.. I started on this server back in August and was coming back to UO for the first time in like 7-8 years from OSI. I came back solo and had no help to start out.. Made a dexxer on one account and my 3x mage thief on the other.. Supplied regs with money I made from my dexxer and worked my way up.. I saved up 60k or so and placed my own 7x7 classic small house outside of vesper. This is a free to play server.. There is ways to make it without donating..

I think the issue is more along the lines of what Kaz said.. New players are at a disadvantaged if they never played UO before.. That is where companions and the general population need to get more involved and TEACH new players what to do.. instead of just cutting them a check for 25k and walking away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Yeah, my statement was in reference to people that have never played the game before, and were starting fresh fresh.

And I agree, more companions/guides etc would be great for them, and that's the exact reason I don't dole out free cash to young players, because it just starts them down the path into believing they have some sort of entitlement instead of putting forth effort/time..

10 dollars for 170k or whatever they go for now to a brand new players ( who are not actually new, just returning vets ) is a well spent investment. They can skip the noob grind and get on with playing UO like they use to.

Crappy ol' uoforever was actually generating gold for donations and look how long that server stayed around. UOF is not doing this. The gold doesn't appear out of nowhere, people still have to grind for it. Seriously dude quit crying about a fake economy and just play the game, especially considering you are one of the most guilty people of trading/selling donation coins.

Unlike RL donation coins nor gold dont affect many aspects of the game at all. Maybe u cant buy much of the shiney stuff but the game mechanics stays the same. Train ur char, play some template, speak to ppl. Of course there is inflation... So what. Regs off vendors stay cheap.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6610 mit Tapatalk