Duel Pits with [templates

Malkraven

Grandmaster
With all the minigames as it is doesn't world pvp suffer?

i mean in the evening EST (when i sleep) people have told me there is alot of CTF /FFA doesn't it just end up people sitting in a Que waiting for PVP rather than out in the world making it? (kinda sounds like people farming battlegrounds on that game that shall not be named)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
no, because the times are randomized that the events run at. if anything the CTF and FFA might pull a few people off the feild for the duration, but they just end up back there with a bigger thirst for blood after the events from what ive seen :D

for now, at the end of a CTF or FFA, everyone ends up back at the duel docks (which are trammelized to suit @eric_azria 's playstyle) BUT right now i think this is necessary as often @Bryce will be standing there looking for event feedback and to give information about upcoming changes/events. But eventually it would be nice if players would be returned back to where they were, like the old CTF mechanics did, so it would not disrupt feild activity as much.

Bryce

Adept
no, because the times are randomized that the events run at. if anything the CTF and FFA might pull a few people off the feild for the duration, but they just end up back there with a bigger thirst for blood after the events from what ive seen :D

for now, at the end of a CTF or FFA, everyone ends up back at the duel docks (which are trammelized to suit @eric_azria 's playstyle) BUT right now i think this is necessary as often @Bryce will be standing there looking for event feedback and to give information about upcoming changes/events. But eventually it would be nice if players would be returned back to where they were, like the old CTF mechanics did, so it would not disrupt feild activity as much.

Couple things to touch on, not to say suggestions are wrong if they don't match our initial intents. Just reasons why things are as they are.

First. Yes, CTF's are big hits. People love them, and by doing so, it gives us/me an accurate idea of the amount of ACTIVE players at that given time. I can IP/Character count check all I want, but that's never going to be indicative of the current ACTIVITY of said players. So I/we use this as a gauge, to potentially pop some pvp tourneys. So often I'll address those that spawn into the Duel Pits as I have all their attention as they come through.

Second. As for the disturbance of field fighting. Pls note, that when you get the "join, don't join" gump, the queue is 15 minutes long. By no means do you have to take it on first opportunity. You can click it off, and wait 15 minutes. 20 minutes. 25 minutes. We designed CTF with the ability to join at ANY time via [battles.

As for the OP re: [Templates

In the midst of optimizing CTF and a few other things, we had to temporarily disable the Battlewells.
Although we love hosting events, these Battlewells are designed as a means to make the community dispense unwanted items/lesser value items off the server in a bid to clean them out of houses etc. It's for that reason that the Battlewells, when sprung, will 100% of the time give rewards for their respective pvp events. Otherwise, Staff-spawned [Battles will be only "sometimes" offering trophies. Reagents/consumables are the underlying gold sink of a UO community. And at this time, we have ZERO intent on changing that. People love to duel, they can "pay" to do so. Keeps them engaged in other areas of the game as well, commerce/farming what have you.

Don't get me wrong, love the feedback/suggestions. Just a bit of reasoning from our end.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
oh yes, makes sense for sure.

another thing ive noticed, a bug if you will, that players can join the FFA after it's already began hehe

i killed the one guy that did it while shouting REPORTADDDDD haha was pretty funny wish i had a video

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Couple things to touch on, not to say suggestions are wrong if they don't match our initial intents. Just reasons why things are as they are.

First. Yes, CTF's are big hits. People love them, and by doing so, it gives us/me an accurate idea of the amount of ACTIVE players at that given time. I can IP/Character count check all I want, but that's never going to be indicative of the current ACTIVITY of said players. So I/we use this as a gauge, to potentially pop some pvp tourneys. So often I'll address those that spawn into the Duel Pits as I have all their attention as they come through.

Second. As for the disturbance of field fighting. Pls note, that when you get the "join, don't join" gump, the queue is 15 minutes long. By no means do you have to take it on first opportunity. You can click it off, and wait 15 minutes. 20 minutes. 25 minutes. We designed CTF with the ability to join at ANY time via [battles.

As for the OP re: [Templates

In the midst of optimizing CTF and a few other things, we had to temporarily disable the Battlewells.
Although we love hosting events, these Battlewells are designed as a means to make the community dispense unwanted items/lesser value items off the server in a bid to clean them out of houses etc. It's for that reason that the Battlewells, when sprung, will 100% of the time give rewards for their respective pvp events. Otherwise, Staff-spawned [Battles will be only "sometimes" offering trophies. Reagents/consumables are the underlying gold sink of a UO community. And at this time, we have ZERO intent on changing that. People love to duel, they can "pay" to do so. Keeps them engaged in other areas of the game as well, commerce/farming what have you.

Don't get me wrong, love the feedback/suggestions. Just a bit of reasoning from our end.

Oh i wasn't getting digs at ctf i have been in tons of them and find it fun. i was just curious if it was having an effect on world pvp and if people just sit in there homes waiting for a ctf to get there pvp fix.

Bryce

Adept
Oh i wasn't getting digs at ctf i have been in tons of them and find it fun. i was just curious if it was having an effect on world pvp and if people just sit in there homes waiting for a ctf to get there pvp fix.

Hehe I know you weren't :) I was simply explaining why they were the way they were hehehe. And was trying to iterate the fact that once the Battlewells are re-implemented, they won't be staff-spawned as frequently. This does a few things. Keeps them from getting too stale, and deletes items off the server. Always able to be World PvP.