Ease up on the pet naming filter

Sarphus

Journeyman
I'm finding it nearly impossible to name pets anything short of a single letter because anything that even remotely resembles a name is disallowed by the filter. Either this is a bug (accidental reverse logic) or the developers here have a pretty aggressive stance on what is an inappropriate name.

I have a dark green dragon and white wyrm and wanted to name then Ying & Yang. Inappropriate apparently, so had to call the Yingg &Yangg. Not sure where they got their filter from

Bunnky

Grandmaster
Interesting topic, I've always been annoyed by this too, and wondered how the filter is determined.
I can use relatively vulgar names, but a lot of normal ones i can't, like Tuesday.
I'm sure this has something to do with not having same named pets by multiple players.

AlyM

Grandmaster
+1 to easing up on it.
I mean seriously, I don't even bother naming pets anymore.
Unless I name my pet "FORSALE", it's going to be default named until I can name them something I enjoy.

bradley-

Grandmaster
Yup. Hopefully this can be changed....
My dragon's name: a dragon
My nightmare's name: a nightmare
My beetle's name: a giant beetle

I gave up trying to name my pets...

Bryce

Adept
You can't name pets after players. If the players' name(s) exist in our database, I'm pretty sure they will be deemed as "Inappropriate".

AlyM

Grandmaster
And seeing pretty much every good name is a player's name...
WELL WE'RE SCREWED
[e cry

Sarphus

Journeyman
You can't name pets after players. If the players' name(s) exist in our database, I'm pretty sure they will be deemed as "Inappropriate".

Oh wow! Ok, that's one logical explanation that didn't occur to me.

I literally thought it was a bug in the code where the logic was flipped to make legitimate names illegal.

Any chance you will reconsider this policy and allow player names as pet names? IMO, anyone who would be offended by a pet having the same name as their character is probably too soft for full loot open PVP anyway. AMIRITE? :)

Bryce

Adept
It may be tied into the "Player Name Unique" system.
Not sure there's a solid reason *WHY*, but we're taking a peek at it to see what we can do.

BloodRose

Novice
I'm finding it nearly impossible to name pets anything short of a single letter because anything that even remotely resembles a name is disallowed by the filter. Either this is a bug (accidental reverse logic) or the developers here have a pretty aggressive stance on what is an inappropriate name.

Wishing this could change too. It's way more fun being able to name your pet's whatever you want.

Decreamos

Grandmaster
I know of a 'rare' horse with spaces in its name. Probably the only one. Friend received it a long time ago

Sent from my LG-P714 using Tapatalk

C

Carl

Did a small fix however you can not and will not be able to name your pets after the name of a base creature for instance. You can't name a dog "cat" or a horse "dragon. These are unacceptable names. You also can not name your pets after a player. IF someone on the server has the name "Ying" then you can not use that name for your pet. So be more creative with your names.

Will see if we can soften it up a bit more.