First Death

Mikkeliv

Journeyman
I never played on the real UO(OSI?)

My brother in law turned me onto UO many many many moons ago. Taught me this, and explained that, so I wasn't completely in the dark.

There I was, on Novus Opiate(the original one), I had just found a bare spot, big enough for the house I wanted, on the beach. I marked a rune, added to my book, recalled to town. Purchased a 2 story Villa, and recalled to my secret spot, anticipating building my new home, and inviting my friends over for brews and bikinis!

Upon recalling, I immediately spotted this green thing, waving a bunch of legs around at me. I had been playing for close to two months, and never suffered a death. I was always in a group. Being fully armored, in great armor, no less. Waving my war ax. Sporting my chaos shield. And being the "veteran" I was.... I determined this ugly bush needed to be removed, so I could get on about my business.

2 seconds, after that major game decision....

I had but one thought....

"WTF is a kracken?"

halygon

Grandmaster
My first death was about a week into UO back in the last part of 97. I was heading out with my friend who got me started in UO and was out past the east brit guard line (we hung out at east brit bank back then). Once we got to the east brit road "U", we saw a red who attacked us. Both of us being the badass archers (with 70-80 archery) immediately took after him. He dirted both of us in no time. We regathered in town and got all the blues we could find at east brit bank to go red hunting. It felt like a man hunt for real. Near the end I found the red again, but he attacked me with an eb and I started running. I remember how hard my heart beat as I just barely made it across guard line before the red could kill me.

It was at that point that I knew I was hooked. If a game could make me have that type of adrenaline, then it must be a good one.

Wizx13

Grandmaster
My first death was by a guard at vesper bank. Guy told me to go war mode and dbl click the banker because something funny would happen. Soooo I did and got insta killed by the guards. Guy looted me then said "funny shit ehh" :(

joee

Neophyte
My first death was just west of vesper. I was a comlpete noob. back in 98. being the noob I was at that time decided to get a feel for the game as I have played all of the Ultimas, ( Horray for Commadore 64 ) so anyways there i was in the woods just walkin around leraning the ropes and saw a blue guy, I walked up to him and snooped his bag. Poor guy was hollering for guards because i was trying to steal his 98 gold. many many failed attempts later i hear the teleport noise and BAM im dead. The blue guy was a wandering healer. The guy who WHACKED me was a Player that had done the exploit to get the Guards Hally. Well it wasnt a bad experience as that guy ressed me and then told me the Blues way to UO and how I should scrape the trees with a dagger to get kindling and kill rabbits for fur and sell it at NPC vendor.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
You guys got good memories. I don't really remember my first death, I think it was to a grizzly bear. I remember being impressed with how badly they owned.

I do remember my first PK though. I summoned a bunch of Grizzly Bears and then casted stone of wall to seal off a fellow newbie as I did "all release". Worked really well and I wouldn't get flagged. This became my go to move for a bit, lol.

(this was on a tiny free shard 15+ years ago, so if those mechanics I describe seemed off, that is why)

I still remember the first time I logged onto OSI like early 99? I was walking around trinsic trying to figure out what to do and I stopped a guy and asked them why they were running around.

Such a noob

athleet

Neophyte
Ha fun times! Mine was pre-aos.. I dont remember the exact date. But what i do remember a monbat i think, in moonglow i believe.. a tamer res'd me.. I had no clue about what to do.. So after that i thought only people could res.. hahaha.. Everytime i died i ran around looking for other players.

Tynder

Master
Started playing UO in late 1997 on Napa Valley. My brother and his buddies had set up a few houses in the east part of Chaos Valley, across from the shrine, and near where the mining pass is. Now this is before you could change locks or secure chests in houses, so you can probably see where this is going...At this time, you would go mining or lumberjacking to get your strength up as fast as possible, so I am out mining...with my key ring. Suddenly, like spider-man out of fucking no where, a bunch of Wicked Clowns in pink and green dresses dirted me and take my keys. Wasn't long before they figured out which house was mine and started looting. All I could do was sit and watch as a ghost as everything that had been given to me was taken away. Not to mention, at that time, your house was permanently no longer secure if you lost your keys!

But...the Flubenatti was at work even 15+ years ago! Server crashed about 10 minutes later and reverted to about 30 minutes before my untimely death. Got my keys back. Needless to say, I decided that mining was probably not that important that day.

Experience

Grandmaster
Once, while i was still very newb, I went to ice island to hunt frost trolls thinking i was a badass. Ran into my first Mage PK who hit me with Explo FS and chased me down with magic arrows...i thought he was hacking because i had no clue about magery...i ran EVERYWHERE back in those days for the first 3 months....until i learned about recall...

So I was liking this game a lot, going here and there, exploring bits and pieces, collecting loot, etc.
When suddenly, I realized that I didn't have the upper hand in combat.
I was halfway down, poisoned and surrounded by gargoyles. My instant reaction was to run away, and cast cure while running, however the more I ran more monsters came after me, and my pitiful life ended with a mere fireball.
When I came back, all I had was a knife, some bandages, a shirt and some shoes.
This game is brutal when it comes to death! I was aware of it, but had no idea how it was like. I should be sad that I lost some good stuff (I had like 200 of each reagent because someone just dropped a bag with them on the ground, go figure), but at the same time I feel happy. Everyone should experience death at least once. UO's penalty makes WoW look like child's play.

Anyways, I'd like to start this discussion: How was your first death like? How did you feel like? Did you lose much?

December 1998
Logged in for the first time with the starting city of Trinsic
Ran out the city gates - made the mistake of taking the road...PK'd in my first minute in game.
Insta rezzed...
...Res killed

rsgrava

Neophyte
Now I remember that I forgot to say that, after I checked my empty body and went back to Britain, some dude with 420 magery, +80 gear of doom and twelfth circle spells just destroyed my butt-naked avatar with a single blow, LOL.

Geriatric

Expert
i cant remember my first death but i do remember the death that made me quit the game the first time
i was playing on pacific from australia on a 33.6k modem
i had gotten pk'd which i was already kind of used to at this point someone told me to buy a horse so i could atleast try and run away
so i did
thats when i first started to learn about ping and bandwith because a guy on foot still chased me down and pk'd me while i was on a horse

then i heard they opened up a server in australia and i started playing again
similar problem living in a rural town i had managed to get 56k by this point but everyone else around me had ADSL or cable
so i mainly stuck to trammel untill late at night when the population of the server had died down a little and more than 5 people on screen didn't lag me out
my town eventually got broadband in 2008

Nanashi

Grandmaster
Mine was in Moonglow, some guy was stealing from players. I was under the impression any thief can be killed no matter what. So he said he can see all my items in my pack and eyeing my sword. Well, loe and behold I attacked him. Than a giant bolt of lightning came down from the sky. I had that shaky feeling of battle and all I wanted was to keel this guy. I was so angry I followed him until I feel asleep crying on my key board. ..jk about the angry part. I did cry. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikachu

Adept
I can't remember my first death but I can remember the most terrible thing that happened to me... I was fairly new and a friend traded me a spirit of the totem for my helm of insight because he was awesome helm was like 5 mill and totem was like 25 mill lol... So I made another friend that I played with for a couple weeks but we were on top of his tower and he said let's play a game I'll throw my expensive item down and if you run at it from the other side and pick it up you keep it you do the same... Well forgetting we were in his house I threw it down for a sec thinking there's no way he could get there in time... Then all of a sudden "I wish to secure this" and boot from the house. I was so devastated and angry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShinPi

Grandmaster
My first death was in shame fighting a earth elemental because I lost connection. I was playing on dial up at that time.
Dial up lmfao the good ol days same here in 98 broadband was available but not in my town my mom ended up getting another phone line because I had the first one Tues up soon as school let out man o man the good ol days

S

Shane

So I was liking this game a lot, going here and there, exploring bits and pieces, collecting loot, etc.
When suddenly, I realized that I didn't have the upper hand in combat.
I was halfway down, poisoned and surrounded by gargoyles. My instant reaction was to run away, and cast cure while running, however the more I ran more monsters came after me, and my pitiful life ended with a mere fireball.
When I came back, all I had was a knife, some bandages, a shirt and some shoes.
This game is brutal when it comes to death! I was aware of it, but had no idea how it was like. I should be sad that I lost some good stuff (I had like 200 of each reagent because someone just dropped a bag with them on the ground, go figure), but at the same time I feel happy. Everyone should experience death at least once. UO's penalty makes WoW look like child's play.

Anyways, I'd like to start this discussion: How was your first death like? How did you feel like? Did you lose much?

This post brings me back haha
"THEN SUDDENLY, POISONED AND NEAR DEATH I REMEMBERED THAT THIS IS INDEED, ULTIMA ONLINE."
"OoooOOo,"

S

Shane

For record, my first death was from a a snake. The poison got me also.

I started in Trinsic the week the game came out. I used the training dummies to accomplish nothing and really had no idea how to develop my character. I remember somewhere east of Britain I found a dead Orc and got a sweet Orc helm and ring mail. I ran about 2 screens, basically going nowhere when a red showed up and fireballs me to death.
I insta ressed, natch, because it was an Orc helm and ringmail! Comeon!
Then he popped back I the screen, killed me again.
So...I deleted the character.
I remember early on casting a spell and another player asked me, how did you do that? I was the worst teacher to ask, no idea how to raise the skill. I ran around casting create food everywhere at 50 magery.

Last edited by a moderator: