Fix Discording Pets

Belgarath

Novice
Someone who comes in and discords a blue pet really should flag criminal. How and why does this not make them flag since they are performing negative acts upon blue pets? It should be fixed imo. It makes no sense to not be able to fight back without taking a count when they are in essence attacking to begin with.

halygon

Grandmaster
Someone who comes in and discords a blue pet really should flag criminal. How and why does this not make them flag since they are performing negative acts upon blue pets? It should be fixed imo. It makes no sense to not be able to fight back without taking a count when they are in essence attacking to begin with.
Its actually not a negative act, it is made that way on purpose. It goes away once they are so many tiles (like 1 screen> 12 tiles?).

Discord really is a fun skill to have.. along with herding.

Belgarath

Novice
How is that not considered a negative act to nerf a pet so they are so easily killed? I understand people in UO will grief and there is no stopping that, but if they are going to grief in a way that directly affects a player like this they should flag grey. Just my opinion. If it were reversed I would still say the same thing. It only makes sense that if you are going to lower the skills and stats of someone/something that you flag. It is not much different than cursing someone.

I'm sure it's a fun skill at times and has it's place. I just think it needs fixed.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Discording a persons pets doesn't flag you. I found that out the other day when Power greifed our champ spawn on their blues.

Belgarath

Novice
Obviously snooping, tracking and peacemaking aren't negative acts. Common sense dictates that. Keep it on track or get off my thread. :p

halygon

Grandmaster
Obviously snooping, tracking and peacemaking aren't negative acts. Common sense dictates that. Keep it on track or get off my thread. :p
The point was, neither is discord. Someone can snoop my pop pouches and pop all 15 of them, putting me at risk for either no mana or a para gank, that's not negative?

With someone peacemaking around WBB, it makes it impossible for a dexxor to pvp. He will die to a Mage every time because a skill is forcing him to stop fighting. That's not negative?

If I am a thief trying to get away from someone with stealth, tracking leads then right to me for me to die, that's not negative?

These are part if the game mechanics to give people choices, choices to grief, be nice, steal, kill etc. why change the game? You know who else tried to change the game.. And succededed -- OSI

N49ATV

Adept
I agree that disco should flag you. And so should casting on a magic reflect person. You are directly affecting, or casting on them. Pop pouches I agree you should flag. Because they should damage carrier. But that would lead to people suiciding and booting the thieves. Tracking I think is fine the way it is. But casting reveal, should flag you in a murder, if they are killed within 30s of you revealing, by players (not mob) but keep you blue till damage done. (Prevents flagging to check a hidden or stealther who might be there to kill you).

If you peace someone's pet you should flag grey. No counts to be taken, but flag. Though area peace in town or a house shouldn't count. That's just gonna take grieving to a whole new level if you find a macroer.

halygon

Grandmaster
I agree that disco should flag you. And so should casting on a magic reflect person. You are directly affecting, or casting on them. Pop pouches I agree you should flag. Because they should damage carrier. But that would lead to people suiciding and booting the thieves. Tracking I think is fine the way it is. But casting reveal, should flag you in a murder, if they are killed within 30s of you revealing, by players (not mob) but keep you blue till damage done. (Prevents flagging to check a hidden or stealther who might be there to kill you).

If you peace someone's pet you should flag grey. No counts to be taken, but flag. Though area peace in town or a house shouldn't count. That's just gonna take grieving to a whole new level if you find a macroer.
I think I've read that before... is that from the Trammel Bible?

N49ATV

Adept
You should know it by heart, You seem to have written the book on trammel, by asking to fuck with people, and not have any consequences. If you disco, you should be grey. If you attack and it reflects you should be grey. Or by your logic I should be able to shoot an arrow past you, or wiff with a wep and not flag.

halygon

Grandmaster
You should know it by heart, You seem to have written the book on trammel, by asking to fuck with people, and not have any consequences.
Actually that's not trammel at all. It DOES sound vaguely familar.. its something like felugia.. feluka.. no don't tell me.. I'll get it..

If you disco, you should be grey. If you attack and it reflects you should be grey. Or by your logic I should be able to shoot an arrow past you, or wiff with a wep and not flag.
My logic is the hard coded rule set known as Ultima Online. In that rule set, disco is not a flaggable offense. Initiating a melee attack whether by archery or weapon IS a flaggable offense, regardless of damage done.

Don't be the guy that takes an obvious sarcasm post and turn it into a logical argument against the poster...

The OP obviously had his pets disco'd and was pissed off about it, so he wanted to post something about how he felt. This is not something that should actually be changed.

N49ATV

Adept
I don't even have pets, but even I can see the issues here. When I played OSI I never had this issue. But it was also illegal to have any sort of double client. So the rule tweaks should be slightly different here. But clearly people are using these mechanics to their advantage, and due to dual client possibilities, here they disco on blue. Hide. And bring in other char to kill a character with lowered defenses, on an already weak character. Which in 97, wasn't even possible without 2 PCs, or hacking clients. People were happy to have a pentium processor. Unlike today where everyone could have 2+ PCs that can run the game, and bandwidth to support it.

It has a greater negative effect than curse. It should be treated as hostile.

And this server isn't hard coded to the era, they have tweaks in place. This isn't vanilla, so vanilla rules don't always apply.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't even have pets, but even I can see the issues here. When I played OSI I never had this issue. But it was also illegal to have any sort of double client. So the rule tweaks should be slightly different here. But clearly people are using these mechanics to their advantage, and due to dual client possibilities, here they disco on blue. Hide. And bring in other char to kill a character with lowered defenses, on an already weak character. Which in 97, wasn't even possible without 2 PCs, or hacking clients. People were happy to have a pentium processor. Unlike today where everyone could have 2+ PCs that can run the game, and bandwidth to support it.

It has a greater negative effect than curse. It should be treated as hostile.

And this server isn't hard coded to the era, they have tweaks in place. This isn't vanilla, so vanilla rules don't always apply.
You can't discord a player. Only pets and mobs can be discorded.

On this shard, no one uses discord, so the chances of being griefed with it are very slim.

N49ATV

Adept
I never said you discord people. But if your a tamer, you are most likely down 300-360 skill points. And your pets have lost attack power/defenses, and that's going to be your primary way to fight off a PK, Grey etc. so you are weakened.

And if no one uses it here, but a select few. Then what's the issue with making it another one of the custom things about this RunUO server? Logically it makes sense, and will add more potential for consensual PvP.