Full Update w/ Window's XP

PaperTiger

Journeyman
I have had this issue for some time now.
I run XP on my frankencpu, and I'd like to keep it that way.
UOF specific content is not showing up in ways that are now frustrating.
The only 2 problems I have atm are customized 30x30's, and Booty Island dont function.
Although the chest in brit bank indicates I am fully updated.

The newest 'updater' client requires net framework 4.0.1 or something, and XP is only supported to 4.0.0.
Is there a workaround for this issue?

The second 'soft' updater crashes instantly upon opening.
I could post the error code if that would help someone help me :)

I currently have removed all old UOF launchers.
Still Crashing with the 'soft launcher'.

*wink* It's a shame the files cannot be offered for manual download. *wink*

Any help would be appreciated.
I want to be ABLE to TRY to tame swamp dragons.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
**Update **
My client is 7.0.15.1 (patch 51)
I am under the impression there is a 7.0.39 or something.
My laptop has a fully updated version of UOF, I am thinking I could copy all files onto a flash drive, and overwrite all the files in the current 'client' folder on my desktop.
Would that work or be a mistake?
(I've done it for all Baldurs gate 2 files once, on like 8 cd's, never ran the install just open and worked,but have failed with others)
@eppy @Adam

tankian

Grandmaster
Ive had the same exact problem easy way i fixed it was to unistall razor and uo clients then at the bottom of the main uof website where it says download and play i reinstalled it. Btw all my profiles and macros were still there.

Ludwig

Grandmaster
Ive had the same exact problem easy way i fixed it was to unistall razor and uo clients then at the bottom of the main uof website where it says download and play i reinstalled it. Btw all my profiles and macros were still there.

But you never get to actually update, correct? From what I understand, if you only have one PC and you're running XP, you're screwed when it comes to extra content because you can never run the launcher which auto-crashes on XP.

So, I need to uninstall and reinstall the game every time I want to update UOF, correct?

Lyxx

Expert
Because XP doesn't harrass the user with popups and downloads and updates endlessly. Have had windows vista, windows 8, windows 10 - but in the end, Windows XP is the only one that lets me do my work in peace. I would like to know solutions to issues such as these as well.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
Why would you have WinXP in 2016? Support for it ended in 2009 and the extended support ended in 2014.
Thanks for productive Staff derailing.
How bout you definitely have players 'stuck' using XP and some like me who chose to use XP.
How bout next time you offer a suggestion other than a sarcastic 'upgrade' post.

Ludwig

Grandmaster
Why would you have WinXP in 2016? Support for it ended in 2009 and the extended support ended in 2014.

I like you but this is a silly question. I have an older PC. I run older programs. Or I may have MANY other things I would happily drop $80 on rather than a copy of 7 that will be obsolete in a year or two anyway, right?

I can run the game. I can see most content. But please don't pretend like people playing an MMO from 1998 aren't using a jank OS :)

PaperTiger

Journeyman
Because XP doesn't harrass the user with popups and downloads and updates endlessly. Have had windows vista, windows 8, windows 10 - but in the end, Windows XP is the only one that lets me do my work in peace. I would like to know solutions to issues such as these as well.
and this among the others i choose not to list.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
I like you but this is a dumb question. I have an older PC. I run older programs. Or I may have MANY other things I would happily drop $80 on rather than a copy of 7 that will be obsolete in a year or two anyway, right?
Ya try getting Fallout 2 to work out of original box on windows vista or above.

Shortbus

Grandmaster
I like you but this is a silly question. I have an older PC. I run older programs. Or I may have MANY other things I would happily drop $80 on rather than a copy of 7 that will be obsolete in a year or two anyway, right?

I can run the game. I can see most content. But please don't pretend like people playing an MMO from 1998 aren't using a jank OS :)
Windows 7 support ends in 2023 FYI per a MS bulletin I saw the other day.

halygon

Grandmaster
Thanks for productive Staff derailing.
How bout you definitely have players 'stuck' using XP and some like me who chose to use XP.
How bout next time you offer a suggestion other than a sarcastic 'upgrade' post.
You are right, I derailed and it wasn't helpful when you were just looking for an answer.

If you cannot use the updater due to the framework version, then you won't be able to. There is a reason why operating systems have end of life.

Now as far as a manual download goes, you can manually download the latest classic client from the UO website and then reach out to @Adam or @eppy who can provide you a link or two to download the UOF specific art/map files. I have done this myself because my computer does not always work with the UOF Updater*.

*I am assuming that by updater you mean the UOF Updater. If you are referring to the UO Classic Client updater, then there is not much you can do about that except not update - that I know of at least.