FYI… Your new expansion dungeons are empty.

Lexington

Grandmaster
It seems like everything that is added is designed for group PVM? I don’t see many PVM groups out there? The only groups that seem to form, outside scheduled events, are PVP/PK and the odd champ spawn.

Wasn’t it one of the developers that recently made the comment along the lines of…. “The majority of the UOF player base is casual”? If the majority of the player base is casual then why is all the new content designed to be fought as a group? As it is now the only areas that are being farmed with any consistency are those that can be done as a small group, two or three players, and or soloed.

As an example: the addition of the new Cove 4 dungeon was awesome aside from the fact you can’t possibly be in there without a fairly large group… and that’s not happening.The place is a ghost town. Drop the spawn in half or possibly more and you might see some action there? The way it is now you see the odd tamer and or bard farming in the area that was designed for PVP, nothing more. I doubt adding a new champ spawn is going help but who knows?

My advice is…. Stop trying to force group play and consider the majority of the players when add new content and or spawns. If you take care of the individual player the community and group action will come on its own!!

Loki

Adept
Cove lv 4 used to be epic, everyone went there to either farm, fight pks, or just fight random people. But the devs felt it was to epic so they nerfed it to death.

C

Carl

Cove 4 was never meant to be used for solo play period. Dungeons aren't always empty either. And yes it was a lot tougher Loki but we made the mobs a bit weaker. Still the dungeon is rewarding for those who do it since a few mobs their give stuff no other mobs on the server give (low chance though)

Lexington

Grandmaster
Cove 4 was never meant to be used for solo play period. Dungeons aren't always empty either. And yes it was a lot tougher Loki but we made the mobs a bit weaker. Still the dungeon is rewarding for those who do it since a few mobs their give stuff no other mobs on the server give (low chance though)

Hey Carl, Thanks for the reply!

This is my point exactly, “cove 4 was never meant for solo play” The fact that it and the other new additions are too hard for small group solo play is the problem. UOF has more of these types of player than any other. Please correct me if I am wrong but, aside from scheduled events, the big group play is almost nonexistent. Creating more of these types of areas seems pointless. What’s new for the casual player? What is going to keep us from getting bored? I’ll tell you what ... :) reduce the spawn in the new areas so that a small group and or good solo player can slowly make their way through. The way it is now is overkill for the amount of players farming.

Just to be clear! No I’m not talking about soloing the bosses!!

S

Shane

Hey Carl, Thanks for the reply!

This is my point exactly, “cove 4 was never meant for solo play” The fact that it and the other new additions are too hard for small group solo play is the problem. UOF has more of these types of player than any other. Please correct me if I am wrong but, aside from scheduled events, the big group play is almost nonexistent. Creating more of these types of areas seems pointless. What’s new for the casual player? What is going to keep us from getting bored? I’ll tell you what ... :) reduce the spawn in the new areas so that a small group and or good solo player can slowly make their way through. The way it is now is overkill for the amount of players farming.

Just to be clear! No I’m not talking about soloing the bosses!!

Huh?
All the new dungeons are end game content material.
The casual player still has a TON of dungeons to roam through and if they wish to take part in these larger group based dungeons they need to be a part of the community, get a guild together and make it happen.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Huh?
The casual player still has a TON of dungeons to roam through and if they wish to take part in these larger group based dungeons they need to be a part of the community, get a guild together and make it happen.

Two developers replying to my thread… In the suggestion thread section no doubt. I’m a totally impressed. For real!

What are you talking about end game content……. this game is endless and besides we are only just over a year old :) !! Point being there aren’t many players doing the end game content… they are still farming the same old areas. That being said what’s wrong with making these new areas a bit more casual friendly? We want new stuff too :)

Kraden

Grandmaster
Two developers replying to my thread… In the suggestion thread section no doubt. I’m a totally impressed. For real!

What are you talking about end game content……. this game is endless and besides we are only just over a year old :) !! Point being there aren’t many players doing the end game content… they are still farming the same old areas. That being said what’s wrong with making these new areas a bit more casual friendly? We want new stuff too :)

Dude im just gonna go on a little rant here. End game content does not necessarily mean the end of the game. It means end of progression. Which happens to be 720 skills. If you sit here and make thise dungeons easy enough for a solo player to do then wtf is the point in doing them. Uo is a community based game with a living and evolving world or player interaction

Also you say that they need more content for solo casual player, for one this is a mmo. And for two think of it from the group players point of view. Thats all they have to get together on really.

All im saying is dont be so quick to try and judge game mechanics on a group level when you clearly want to play alone and be a hermit. Both sides of play need content to keep them busy. Cause if they get bored then they are gone. You on the other hand are prolly the only guy ive met that can get bored solo. Either you have major adhd. Or you need to make a theif lol

Bromista

Grandmaster
Huh?
I do agree that there is a ton of other places to go for newer solo players. But how about something kind of inbetween for the experienced players who are bored with the solo content? I have a proposal:

Instead of something like the MOTM (sounds like a good idea but implementation was exploitable) or another kind of MOTM (like air ele/fire ele/efreet month where the goal is to farm a specific mob) how about we have more dungeon shake-ups like when you guys changed up Fire and Hythloth?

These locations will always be chosen from or near existing hotspots.

These locations will be telegraphed to avoid allowing players to have complete control of a spawn.

These locations would have more unexpected content (i.e. rare spawns like how there can sometimes be a mare in place of AW in Destard 3, not necessarily tamables just a small chance of a "curveball" spawn....a mini boss or something.

Basically what I am suggesting are RDA's, except instead of being random and more highly rewarding these proposed spawn zones would be less lucrative but more for a refreshing change of pace.

Much like that revamp of Fire and Hythloth were!

There doesn't have to be new mobs/items for a space to seem a lot more interesting than it did just the other day ya know?

Lexington

Grandmaster
Dude im just gonna go on a little rant here. End game content does not necessarily mean the end of the game. It means end of progression. Which happens to be 720 skills. If you sit here and make thise dungeons easy enough for a solo player to do then wtf is the point in doing them. Uo is a community based game with a living and evolving world or player interaction

Also you say that they need more content for solo casual player, for one this is a mmo. And for two think of it from the group players point of view. Thats all they have to get together on really.

All im saying is dont be so quick to try and judge game mechanics on a group level when you clearly want to play alone and be a hermit. Both sides of play need content to keep them busy. Cause if they get bored then they are gone. You on the other hand are prolly the only guy ive met that can get bored solo. Either you have major adhd. Or you need to make a theif lol

Rant is welcome… but I’m going to tactfully distract you for a few hours here… Death Shroud!!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for group event and play…. I just don’t want the all the focus with improvements / development and “end game content” to be focused in it alone. It’s ashamed that some of these new areas are hardly being used simply because the spawn is too heavy and or hard.

I am at end game… I have every build possible except archery :) never like it! I’m not choosing to be a hermit but I know with grown up life it doesn’t permit the schedule that always allow for group events.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Rant is welcome… but I’m going to tactfully distract you for a few hours here… Death Shroud!!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for group event and play…. I just don’t want the all the focus with improvements / development and “end game content” to be focused in it alone. It’s ashamed that some of these new areas are hardly being used simply because the spawn is too heavy and or hard.

I am at end game… I have every build possible except archery :) never like it! I’m not choosing to be a hermit but I know with grown up life it doesn’t permit the schedule that always allow for group events.
Well played buddy well played. Mmmm death shroud. Lol. *hours later*. I can see your point on end game not being utilized which i thought too but the only way i can see making it easier to use thise areas for casual gamers is to make a system to make it easy for dungeon runs but ud have to implement instances without pling and then itd be trammel.

I also think instead of thinking hey they need to change it because no one uses it i think we need to focus more so on how to get people to ise it more. For instance casual players only play a few hours here or there so it needs to be easy to jump in and out. Casual players also dont have the same networks as hardcore people with 100s of contacts so it needs to be easy to connect. Idk. Brainstorm

One thought i just had would be to implement something like the new fishing system. Pay a npc to join and it will give you alerts. Maybe hve a npc that people sign up with that basically pools people and parties them together and rewards them only after completion of the dungeon and after turning it in. So for instance yes the mobs will have rare drops but if you actually work together and kill the mob or do whatever than u get rewarded for the missions with a rare chance at some loot only obtainable by doing the mission together with other people?

Also death shrouds please i need one.Scratching at my skin for one.
Also +1 on passive agressive "grown up life" comment lol

Lavos

Master
Please correct me if I am wrong but, aside from scheduled events, the big group play is almost nonexistent.

There are some bigger groups doing RDAs, but the reason is because we know we can get something special, aside from gold, out of it - stuff needed for crafting slayer armor and rares.

Part of the reason the newer dungeons are empty is there's literally no incentive other than gold to go to these dungeons. No one has seen or heard of any rare/unique monster drops coming from the places. There are no stealable rares. No new places to lockpick. You need a strong incentive for players to really put themselves up to the challenge of these dungeons. Otherwise, why not farm somewhere easier where you get rewarded just the same? I will say that the challenge of the new levels is really fun, and pretty reasonable, but it is hard to get a group together for them when champs/RDAs have more to offer.

Carl now said above that there are low chance rare items that drop off monsters in Cove 4. Now that people know, I bet we will see more people in there trying for them. The problem was nothing from the expansion was itemized for such a long that I think players gave up farming in there.

I think the staff has a plan though, and we will see more itemization which will generate more interest in these areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckognize

Grandmaster
The problem here is that its hard to balance things out. If you have too much balance, then people have 45 min long duels and its boring and annoying. but if theres one tiny thing overpowered, everyone jumps on it and tips the scales so much more.

In this case, the overpowered thing is the spawn amount and spawn intensity. It's fairly easy if you have stealth and an ethereal, you can pull so much spawn onto anyone farming there. That's the real reason why nobody rolls there, you need a GIANT group to overcome the damage that can be done with gm hide 80 stealth and a 175k ethy..

However, I haven't been there since a long time ago... -apparently some mobs got nerfed- so some of this is based on old information and could already have been looked at.

This could play a role in OP's suggestion perhaps.