GM Hiding/Stealth Vs 0 Tracking

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
So there is a large amou

You mad bro? I haven't actually played a thief as Karl stated. The reason I don't is because it seems most are like the ones you mentioned that hang out at wbb. I did get a couple things stolen in the past before I researched and figured out how to counter it. That isn't the reason I made the post I did. I also didn't make the post because I've had a PS stolen from me. I see your angle though trying to come at me like I'm a trammy but I'm not. I wasn't offensive or ignorant in my post as you have chosen to be. You are exactly though the type of personality that most scrubby wwb thieves tend to have. So I'm not surprised at all by your response. Karl was at least respectful and well spoken in what he said. I was simply speaking my mind on how I feel in general towards thieves.

Town thieves are the least profitable and most boring, but it is kind of a 'thing' that all thieves do at some point (IMO). But it is almost always just a reflection of the realization of the possibilities of the thief class. Usually people get out into dungeons and stuff, it can be pretty fun.

I just disarm stole an exceedingly/power axe from a red by west brit bridge today in the middle of a 5-6 person fight. I'm just gonna give it to a new player at some point.

I stole the regs out of the bag that held a Trin members 4 BOD books, then I stole the bag once the weight was down enough. I put all of it in the trade window with a rune that said 'don't put blessed items in bags, the bags can be stolen), clicked the box and went to make a sandwich.

Theives are fun to play and its great for a solo/casual player. You can make money but its a lot less than you can doing champ spawns or other farming.

Armand

Journeyman
Town thieves are the least profitable and most boring, but it is kind of a 'thing' that all thieves do at some point (IMO). But it is almost always just a reflection of the realization of the possibilities of the thief class. Usually people get out into dungeons and stuff, it can be pretty fun.

I just disarm stole an exceedingly/power axe from a red by west brit bridge today in the middle of a 5-6 person fight. I'm just gonna give it to a new player at some point.

I stole the regs out of the bag that held a Trin members 4 BOD books, then I stole the bag once the weight was down enough. I put all of it in the trade window with a rune that said 'don't put blessed items in bags, the bags can be stolen), clicked the box and went to make a sandwich.

Theives are fun to play and its great for a solo/casual player. You can make money but its a lot less than you can doing champ spawns or other farming.
I see what you're saying but you are not the norm.

Dellan

Grandmaster
So there is a large amou

You mad bro? I haven't actually played a thief as Karl stated. The reason I don't is because it seems most are like the ones you mentioned that hang out at wbb. I did get a couple things stolen in the past before I researched and figured out how to counter it. That isn't the reason I made the post I did. I also didn't make the post because I've had a PS stolen from me. I see your angle though trying to come at me like I'm a trammy but I'm not. I wasn't offensive or ignorant in my post as you have chosen to be. You are exactly though the type of personality that most scrubby wwb thieves tend to have. So I'm not surprised at all by your response. Karl was at least respectful and well spoken in what he said. I was simply speaking my mind on how I feel in general towards thieves.

However telling me about scrubby personality while stating "I have 0 sympathy for players who play thief and don't care if they nerf them", that is respectful, yea... I simply stated how I feel generally towards scrubby crying marks, as you sounded like one. Guy who never tried our profession, hates thieves and would be glad if they got nerfed more and more. Try it. Go and make a thief right now. Then go and find your tricks of the trade all by yourself. Then show me how you stole zillions of high end stuff, how are we OP.

And don't say a word about my personality, no more. You have no idea how far I am from that trash at WBB.

Armand

Journeyman
However telling me about scrubby personality while stating "I have 0 sympathy for players who play thief and don't care if they nerf them", that is respectful, yea... I simply stated how I feel generally towards scrubby crying marks, as you sounded like one. Guy who never tried our profession, hates thieves and would be glad if they got nerfed more and more. Try it. Go and make a thief right now. Then go and find your tricks of the trade all by yourself. Then show me how you stole zillions of high end stuff, how are we OP.

And don't say a word about my personality, no more. You have no idea how far I am from that trash at WBB.
I'll say whatever I want...scrub *cough* :D

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
Thieves are not OP. Most run with minimal combat skills (if any at all), which means they will crush under the weight of a 7x dexxer or mage designed to be a DPS powerhouse. This means thieves have hiding/stealth. But to any wary player, like this thread states, 0 skill in tracking can basically reveal you. So you need to be CRAFTY to make it work. That is where the skill comes in -- not in-game, statistical "skill", but good old fashioned, hard-wired brains to outsmart your situation. Maybe a PK is camping the ankh, or guarding the exit, or a blue sees you and either kills you or calls his friends on you, blowing your cover completely and any element of surprise you had.

I don't count WBB thieves. Long story short I made one out of curiosity, and trust me, the only thing around town is a bunch of regs and maybe some ingots at crafting. There's a tiny adrenaline rush from stealing 80 ingots, or actually not getting guard whacked when you took those 60 regs, but believe me, the time invested raising stealing/snooping/hiding/stealth to 100, I could have made 200k+ just farming gold on my main from regular mobs. If there was a time when you could gloriously get power scrolls and decent skill scrolls just in the bank, that time has passed for the majority of players in the game.

So I am only talking about combat thieves, or thieves who work in the field. This requires skill. You are not, for the most part, equipped to fight mobs of any kind -- only on how to run away. So you have to be clever in where you move, how you move, timing your actions so it doesn't break stealth at the right times, etc etc. I'd say it requires more mastery over gameplay and in-game mechanics than any dexxer. Thieves are in the game, they're part of the game, it really boggles my mind why people complain about them so much. For every thief action, there is an even easier counter-action you can take if you are careful and plan ahead. And if you slip up, and do lose that rare... then you just haven't earned it yet, baby.

EllEssDee

Master

I don't agree with this but for the most part hes right. A good thief is not only a solo machine, though; They can be incredibly important to a group of reds fighting and preventing them 2 day stat loss. They work as scouts, they can jump in fights themselves as long as they are not the main target, and really you're not very limited beyond the fact you can't stun punch if you're a mage/thief. Thief is the most fun template in UO though, by far. I had never tried it till I got to UOF and I dont think I can really play anything else and enjoy it as much. It takes a lot of patience and if you are someone who rages when you die, definitely do not play one. You're going to die a lot, you're going to waste a lot of time, but you will spend a lot of time doing really hilarious and fun shit that isn't really available to other templates.

To stay more on topic though, the tracking problem is just something that hasn't (or can be?) fixed. No server I've played on or heard about has ever been able to fix the 0.0 tracking problem with invisible people; That should be motivation enough for the more ambitious coders to want to try and fix it. It's probably difficult as fuck though, given nobody has done it yet that I know of.

Well if u nerf tracking a smart thief could make ur life so miserable that u needed to quit uo :)

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6610 mit Tapatalk

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
0 Tracking works less than 50 percent of the time... Considering how strong stealth is (you can stealth immediately after you hide on this server) it is perfectly fair.

Yeah I think all in all it evens out pretty well. I like the mechanics here for the most part.

jeffe

Master
I didn't read all the responses; I'd like to note that 20.1 tracking on OSI shards during Ren Era was enough to always track other players. Tracking has never checked against a players hide/stealth. Range has always been it's limiting factor.

SidX

Grandmaster
Thief is the most fun template in UO though, by far. I had never tried it till I got to UOF and I dont think I can really play anything else and enjoy it as much. It takes a lot of patience and if you are someone who rages when you die, definitely do not play one. You're going to die a lot, you're going to waste a lot of time, but you will spend a lot of time doing really hilarious and fun shit that isn't really available to other templates..
Truest thing I've read here.. I made my thief just for kicks but it's by far been the most fun I've had on UO in a long time. Even just messing around at WBB has been a blast. And to those saying thieves are the least profitable, that's far from the truth. Of course the typical WBB banksitters just have a few regs or blessed Dono items, but there is ALWAYS someone who strolls through carrying some high-end Vanq weps or a few rares lying in their pack after a mob run.

In the first week alone after GMing Stealing I've stolen probably 200k worth of loot from people in WBB alone, plus another 100k or so from people at champ spawns. I stole a Skull of Pain the other day at Semidar and sold it in 5mins for 60k.

If you know where to go and have the patience to die over, and over, and over, and over again for one piece of loot, you can make out big.

aIck

Grandmaster
In my opinion it's just stupid and unbalanced when a character who has no fucking clue what he/she is doing (0 skill in Tracking) is able to track down a character who is a master at not-being-seen (+180 points spent in Hiding and Stealth) and deceiving.

It's a bit like pitting a toddler against some well-trained and armed soldier and the toddler is still able to win for some reason.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Truest thing I've read here.. I made my thief just for kicks but it's by far been the most fun I've had on UO in a long time. Even just messing around at WBB has been a blast. And to those saying thieves are the least profitable, that's far from the truth. Of course the typical WBB banksitters just have a few regs or blessed Dono items, but there is ALWAYS someone who strolls through carrying some high-end Vanq weps or a few rares lying in their pack after a mob run.

In the first week alone after GMing Stealing I've stolen probably 200k worth of loot from people in WBB alone, plus another 100k or so from people at champ spawns. I stole a Skull of Pain the other day at Semidar and sold it in 5mins for 60k.

If you know where to go and have the patience to die over, and over, and over, and over again for one piece of loot, you can make out big.

So 300k in a week of playing? How many hours is that roughly?

Dellan

Grandmaster
My business partner is very rich and very successful, plays only thief. Same as my previous buddy. It depends on how you play it.. It's not just about stealing.