Guide to being a Thieving Street Rat

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
I wanted to put together a little guide describing some ways on how I go about being a town thief on this shard. It may help some newbies or even some long time players learn a couple new things and for others it may be old news. Take it as you will.

First of all I wanted to say I am by no means an excellent thief, but I do decent enough to get by in this profession. You’re not going to get rich unless you’re extremely patient, or extremely lucky and little bit of skill goes a long way. There are a few things you can do to give yourself an edge and increase your chances of snatching something good. Don’t waste your time stealing regs, bandies, potions or other cheap crap that won’t give you much of a monetary gain for your time invested. Leave this annoyance to the blatantly obvious, naked bank thieves with no class. You’re going to be dying A LOT and time spent dead is time wasted, time that you could have been spending looking for something better.

Disguise Kits:

Disguise kits are going to be your new best friend, especially if you do not stealth, or you’re trying to steal around WBB, where stealthing is a pipe dream. Buy them from the thief guildmaster located in bucs den. Walk up and say “disguise” and drop the money on the npc accordingly. Keep it in your bank unless you need to use it, in which case you’ll need to have it in your backpack. You can buy more if you accidently lose it. These change your name into an NPC name at random. Smart players can usually spot you by these names, so keep using it until you get a name that looks believable. Do not settle for something stupid like Bob or something. You’re looking for an uncommon name. Disguise kits also change your hair to a bright white which makes you stand out like a sore thumb. Get some basic hair dyes from the npc provisioner and cover that crap up. They cost a mere 60 gold.

disguisekit_zpswdcw6fza.png

Disguises:

People recognize you by your appearance more than anything, your name is secondary imo. You’re trying to blend in! You’re trying to do everything you can to make yourself NOT look like a thief! A lot of new players are constantly being made and a lot of these people toss their newbie clothes on the ground. This is really good news for you. Robes, pants, short pants, fancy shirts, shirts, doublets, skirts, kilts, capes, wizard hats, floppy hats, shoes and boots (Did I miss any?? lol) have the possibility of being newbied. Take a pair of scissors and try to cut the clothing in question, if a gump pops up, you got another piece to add to your collection! Get yourself some dye tubs and start making yourself a bunch of outfits. I carry about 50 pieces of newbie clothes in various colors. It just makes it easier than having to redye one set all the time. The best place to find these is around the starting inn in Britain, and around the bank, occasionally you will find them elsewhere.

Newbieclothes_zpsfwpstdar.png
newbiegump_zps4ghri5fo.png

One mans trash is another mans treasure:

Let’s face it, the streets of Sosaria are filthy! There will be junk dropped by players all over every city you visit. You’re spending all your time roaming the towns, looking for marks.. don’t let that stuff go to waste! Utilize it! Being a street scavenger will help you in two ways: First, it will fund all of your recall scrolls (if you use them) and the hairdye you’ll need when you’re using your disguise kits. Collect it in a pouch in your bank and sell it when it starts getting full. Magic weapons can sell for a pretty penny, but non magics add up too. Secondly, people constantly drop all types of clothing and hats that you can’t get in newbied form, so gather these up and use them when mixing and matching your outfits. It won’t cost you a thing and it’ll go a long way to helping you remain anonymous.

junk_zpspkeyfxdm.png

In conclusion, there’s no reason to go out of your way to be a dick to your marks. They are pissed off enough already that you snatched their vanq, statue, skillscroll or whatever. Take what you want and get the hell outta dodge and don’t forget to change your clothes, hairstyle and name! May your marks always be careless, and good luck out there!

Helixpython

Neophyte
This is wonderfull. I got a lot of help from Darkarna in game the other day, and this article is getting me thinking in all kinds of new ways!

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I don't think I've ever used a kit. I think mostly because most people can't tell if I am going to be a friend or foe. Maybe it's the name?

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
Would a true thief want anyone to know their name? I just like to play the role, but everyone has their own style.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Would a true thief want anyone to know their name? I just like to play the role, but everyone has their own style.

I find it more satisfying stealing under my true name, yes people become more paranoid but on the plus side, it also shows a certain level of skill required to be known and openly steal. This however changes when the situation changes, so a disguise is needed sometimes.

I will add, if you are new to stealing, there is no reason to not steal basic items such as reagents, bandages and other common items. This will at least give you a feel for what you are doing and what you should not be doing and where you should or should not be stealing. Stealing reagents can be a great way to open up an ongoing conflict with someone, some people will generally attack you on sight in doing this and provide you with some great experience in escaping or even perhaps, a form of player vs player combat where you goal is not to kill the player in question "a real thief does not do this!", but in fact, learn to steal on the fly and what to steal to provide immunity to your thief *this works especially well if you are a Mage thief.

Another thing to remember, if you intend on journeying to the bowels of dungeons, make sure you stock up on at least a few potions, preferably cure and refresh with a few heal potions thrown in for good measures and try to learn your trade on foot *if you have stealth*, this will accelerate your ability to survive tenfold and when you do use a mount, well, crossover experience from your unmounted experience will present terror that even the hardiest of Player Killers would only dream of.

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
Well said Darkarna! I do run around under my true name sometimes, but that is very hard to do around west brit bank, cause as soon as someone shows up, they typically have you picked out already. There are so many ways to play the template effectively and to your liking, everyone is different.. I will *occasionally* steal a random object if my mark has a nice weapon I want to take, and I want to instigate an attack. Then Ill do the normal routine of running around a building to hide, have their weapon set on last target and when they go to reveal, run over and snatch it while they are casting the spell. Works like a charm.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
my thief has gm swords/tactics/anatomy with some newbie poisoned weapons.. I defend myself if attacked after you carelessly dropped your shield into my hands.

I also steal bandages, reagents, arrows bolts.. These make people mad and its funny as hell.

actually anything thats light enough and not blessed I will try to steal..

I sometimes try to steal something I know I can't, hoping I get attacked so I can defend myself.

I've never killed anyone but I have sure annoyed the piss out of a lot of people..

I like companions reagents.

What is the name of my thief? Guess and win, and get a special prize.

Panduh

Novice
Thief guild ter in Bucs Den. Say her name and join.. "Betty join"
I searched for a good bit to no avail, checked the pirates den, isnt that where the guild master should be? At any rate last night I realized there's a guild master on top of WBB this is mostly for a new player I befriended. Thanks for the input :)

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
Go to bucs den via the moongate. Run due west up the road until you get to a bridge, cross the bridge and its the first building on your left.

*edit: looks like someone beat me to it :p

Panduh

Novice
That's the exact building I checked, maybe I missed it, or forgot to check paper dolls? But nobody was offering training for any thief oriented skills, I'll have to double check today.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
That's the exact building I checked, maybe I missed it, or forgot to check paper dolls? But nobody was offering training for any thief oriented skills, I'll have to double check today.

There is no context menu, you have to say join to them.. their name first, Bob join.

Panduh

Novice
Right I understand that there is no context menu for joining the guild, but don't the guildmaster's offer training in hide and the like?

Panduh

Novice
c2GCsOo.png

This is the only guildmistress or master i see in the stated building, and it's not the thieve's guild leader, am I losing my mind over here? haha

EDIT: additionally the others around are mages, herbalist, and the lady in the office is a hairstylist;

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
This is the only guildmistress or master i see in the stated building, and it's not the thieve's guild leader, am I losing my mind over here? haha

EDIT: additionally the others around are mages, herbalist, and the lady in the office is a hairstylist;

I just went there.. this is what i see.. maybe you are on the wrong server.

EGQ5jK.jpg