House Location Eligibility

Gambrinus

Journeyman
Does anyone know of any methods or tools that would allow me to figure out where on the map certain types of houses fit? For example, would like to figure out where all of the spots that would fit a keep are (obviously assuming no other houses were placed there). I know that I could always create a dummy shard to test it out but was kind of hoping there would be a better way....

Gambrinus

Journeyman
Thanks but not exactly what I'm looking for. Let me clarify. I am trying to see where on the map some of the larger houses fit. In a lot of these spots on UOF there are a few smaller houses placed in these locations. I am trying to scout for potential locations where i could buy up houses, deed them and place something larger. Would hate to buy up a couple houses only to have a rock, stump or something else block the placement of something else.

A tool with a blank (houseless) map that could show where certain house sizes fit would be perfect.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
I don't really think that there is anything exactly like what you're looking for. You're best bet is to get UOAutomap if you don't already have it. UOAM logs houses locations on the map when you run past them, which could help determine if something bigger fits in a spot or not. Other than that, I would just run around and manually count tiles to see if a certain house fits

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
Yeah it can. Looking for IDOC's can help you get one as well. Maybe get lucky with an 18x18 with one or two houses blocking keep placement.

Good luck!

i believe in my experience its 5 tiles front and back from other houses 1 tile on the sides. 1 tile away from any trees/rocks/blockage on the front 2 tiles away from trees / blockage unless placing a non-custom house like a small 3 room etc. then its 1 tile away from front blockage.

You dont need the money, but you cant have another house on your account to attempt placement of any of the houses. It will show it place if there is room for it. If not it will tell you why. Critters and people (and yourself) will block placement, so make sure to clear the area before testing. And if you do find room for a keep like this, i would place is fast as this would be a highly saught after bit of property.

Hope this helps in some way..

halygon

Grandmaster
Does anyone know of any methods or tools that would allow me to figure out where on the map certain types of houses fit? For example, would like to figure out where all of the spots that would fit a keep are (obviously assuming no other houses were placed there). I know that I could always create a dummy shard to test it out but was kind of hoping there would be a better way....
There will not be a guide like this for you unless a UOFer made one. House placement rules differ from shard to shard and the chance that someone made a map for UOF by itself would be so small due to the huge amount of effort required to make something like that.

PLUS - part of the fun of house placing is find spots that people overlooked and placing a house there. Learn the house placement rules, get yourself a house placement tool and go out into the world. That's what I did when I first started here. I placed quite a few decent size houses in places no one thought they could fit and then sold them to have starting cash for my characters. I think the world is quite a bit more populated today then it was when I first started, but I see open spots all the time (just not large ones as they are mostly taken).