How would this Theif template fare?

Dupster

Apprentice
Hi guys,

The idea I'm trying for is a survivalist tank thief who utilises a uoforever build of magery/healing with gheal pot support to stay alive.

At the moment on my current build which still has 100med/88.2 healing/80 something magery I'm getting dropped hard when out and someone engages me in combat, I can easily survive the first spell cycle with a gheal pot but this build lacks resist overall. Also an exp/FS gexp pot combo currently kills me.

Meditation - 40
Anatomy - 80
Healing - 80
Hiding - 100
Stealing - 100
Stealth - 100
Magery - 100
Snooping - 100

Dellan

Grandmaster
Nope, not gonna do. Believe me mate, I tried countless times to create usable stealther thief that can fight, no, impossible task. It was my obsession. It always boils down to three things:
Fighting
Stealing
Sneaking

You can combine any of these two, but can never have all three, if you do, you fail at menial tasks. Want to snoop someone? You fail and get revealed. Wanna steal something? You fail. Want to fight? Nah, not strong enough.

You're much better off having 2 thieves, one stealther, one that does the strong arming part.

To be honest, thug thieves are fun to play, but also very hard to be successful - you need good ping or superb scripts, stealing from running mark is damn hard. I even gone to part where my thug doesn't have stealing skills at all, it's easier to simply brute force someone than steal their heals.

Edit: eh, I noticed you don't plan to fight. There are many good builds for stealther, but you can't go wrong with classic slippery build - wrestling, resist, magery.

drasked

Grandmaster
I personally think the best method of survival on a thief is 5x mage (if you know how to use it)

My favorite character of them all is my 5x thief;

Snoop
Steal
Magery
Med
Eval int
Resist
Wrestling

Offensive wrestling is a defensive tool since you can fizzle peoples big spells with a punch.
Without resist you are going to burn, from both mobs and players.
And being able to fight back also has its defensive merits, good offence is good defense.

Also keep in mind that if you are not going for a straight 7x GM template but want to fine tune it, dropping some gold on getting your skill cap up to 720 can go a long way. Also you can drop stealth to 80 if you don't use armor.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
IMO I think the 'easiest to be successful at' thief build is to, live and get away'

80 stealth is 100% stealth without armor. (and i believe it is soooo op here you should use it)
100 snoop
100 steal is a given
80 magery, I would opt for dropping to around 80 keeping the healing and anat for res and double heals
80 healing
80 anat
I would opt for Wrestling over Resist, I would also opt for meditation over resist as well.
180 pts left to go on above 3 skills
I would prob roll 100 wrestle 80 med
but if you feel, not getting away from spells is hurtin you more than dexxers , swap out med for the resist not the wrestle.

A dexxer will always be on top of you making it much harder to hide
A mage while casting any circle 5+ gives you time to teleport and hide, or simply round a corner. So in my opinion I have found that having wrestling is much more effective in combat scenario as a thief than resist.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
I personally think the best method of survival on a thief is 5x mage (if you know how to use it)

Also keep in mind that if you are not going for a straight 7x GM template but want to fine tune it, dropping some gold on getting your skill cap up to 720 can go a long way. Also you can drop stealth to 80 if you don't use armor.

How would you get to 720 on a thief?

Cheapsuit

Master
Hi guys,

The idea I'm trying for is a survivalist tank thief who utilises a uoforever build of magery/healing with gheal pot support to stay alive.

At the moment on my current build which still has 100med/88.2 healing/80 something magery I'm getting dropped hard when out and someone engages me in combat, I can easily survive the first spell cycle with a gheal pot but this build lacks resist overall. Also an exp/FS gexp pot combo currently kills me.

Meditation - 40
Anatomy - 80
Healing - 80
Hiding - 100
Stealing - 100
Stealth - 100
Magery - 100
Snooping - 100
go 90 healing and 90 anatomy and 80 stealth and this template looks pretty good.

Dellan

Grandmaster
I had a certain healmage stealther thief before, probably only uoforever temp that I liked.. But how was it? I remember having 60 anat, 90 healing (you never fail a bandie then and cure even lethal poison), gm hide snoop steal resist wrestling, 80 stealth, magery rest? I don't have 20+ skill, so it was 70 I guess.. Could've used scrolls for ress, was able to. Yea I think that was it.. Ofc mage heal wasn't superb, but helped in a pinch, and healing while running is essential for feef.

PaperTiger

Journeyman
You'd have to take a skill to 120 first, peacemaking is the easiest, tailoring is the cheapest, once your cap is at 720 you can drop the peace or tailor but still have 720 skill points
sick
now im thinking gm wrestle 50 resist 50 med

Stormy

Expert

My favorite character of them all is my 5x thief;

Snoop
Steal
Magery
Med
Eval int
Resist
Wrestling

Offensive wrestling is a defensive tool since you can fizzle peoples big spells with a punch.
Without resist you are going to burn, from both mobs and players.
And being able to fight back also has its defensive merits, good offence is good defense.

What would your stats be & what would you recommend the stats be on his proposed template?

drasked

Grandmaster
What would your stats be & what would you recommend the stats be on his proposed template?

100 25 100 (could be tweaked to be less vulnerable to mindblast but never really ran in to this problem yet)

I would not propose stats for the OP's template because it has some fundamental flaws in terms of survivablity.

I have since revised my opinion on the survivability of a thief. The template i posted before is my PVP thief.

My stealy stealy thief is:

100 Magery
100 Resist
100 Wrestling
100 Snoop
100 Steal
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
40 Med

100 25 100

Stealth is insane on this shard.

Builds like this are an example why it sucks that the UOF Harrower doesn't drop stat scrolls :(

Not sure what stat scrolls are, but harrower (and other champs) drop power scrolls that you can steal from the people that get them.

Stormy

Expert
100 25 100 (could be tweaked to be less vulnerable to mindblast but never really ran in to this problem yet)

I would not propose stats for the OP's template because it has some fundamental flaws in terms of survivablity.

I have since revised my opinion on the survivability of a thief. The template i posted before is my PVP thief.

100 Magery
100 Resist
100 Wrestling
100 Snoop
100 Steal
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
40 Med

100 25 100

Not sure what stat scrolls are, but harrower (and other champs) drop power scrolls that you can steal from the people that get them.
In EA UO the harrower doesn't drop PS he drops stat scrolls, for example +10 str +15 Dex + 20 int etc. & have a stat cap just like PS have a 720 skill cap. Here on UOF they apparently feel that doing that would give a PvP advantage that they wish to avoid. My question to you was what stats would you use in both the 5x template that you use & prefer vs what stats the proposed template should have to compliment those theif builds? Especially since snooping,stealing & healing are going to require alot of Dex? Will you sacrifice the HP & die quicker making the bandies irrelevant due to your str points yielding to Dex ? Or fizzle spells & fail to escape because of low int yielding to str & dex?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stormy

Expert

100 Magery
100 Resist
100 Wrestling
100 Snoop
100 Steal
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
40 Med

100 25 100

Wouldn't your snoop & steal require 100 dex to be safe? I've never seen or heard how snoop & steal are effected by high or low dex,

drasked

Grandmaster
Wouldn't your snoop & steal require 100 dex to be safe? I've never seen or heard how snoop & steal are effected by high or low dex,

Stats have no effect on snooping and stealing. Dex would only be needed to speed up bandages and balance out your stats in regards to mind blast damage.

So i use 100 str, 25 dex, 100 int

I think there is no room for healing on a good thief template. (except on dexer thief)

Not having resist and wrestling is not an option if you want to survive.

Especially since snooping,stealing & healing are going to require alot of Dex? Will you sacrifice the HP & die quicker making the bandies irrelevant due to your str points yielding to Dex ? Or fizzle spells & fail to escape because of low int yielding to str & dex?

Stats don't do all these things you listed.

Fizzle rate has nothing to do with int for example.

STR: increases HP pool and carry capacity.

DEX: increase stamina pool, bandage speed, attack speed (based on your current stamina, not max)

INT: increases mana pool.

I probably missed some things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stormy

Expert
Stats have no effect on snooping and stealing. Dex would only be needed to speed up bandages and balance out your stats in regards to mind blast damage.

So i use 100 str, 25 dex, 100 int

I think there is no room for healing on a good thief template. (except on dexer thief)

Not having resist and wrestling is not an option if you want to survive.

Stats don't do all these things you listed.

Fizzle rate has nothing to do with int for example.

STR: increases HP pool and carry capacity.

DEX: increase stamina pool, bandage speed, attack speed (based on your current stamina, not max)

INT: increases mana pool.

I probably missed some things.
So dex hasno effect on snoop or steal?