Ideas ( I think are pretty good)

First of all let me begin by saying thank you @Shane for creating such a great server and allowing us to once again play a game we all love.

I've currently been on the server for approximately a month and had a few ideas. These ideas I'm sure will get me flamed on a monumental level from groups such as EQMS, >$<, or that one kid who thinks hes a model "Jack" something, but i figured what fun would it be if it didn't.

First of all lets start with PVP. This essentially is the life blood of Ultima in my opinion and for the most part this server gets it right. BUT it also gets it wrong in a lot of ways.

1. Purple pots!

Purple pots were not created originally to be used in a machine gun style like I've seen on this shard. And with a damage radius of 20-25 these are extremely nerfed hands down. They need to be reeled in quickly and i had a couple ideas how. First the damage must be brought down. Essentially right now I could preload an explosion, run up cast another explosion and throw a purple pot and its pretty much over for anyone who doesn't have much experience. Second, add a longer timer between being able to throw these bad boys, this will cut back on the overkill usage you see now. Third, if you throw a purple pot in town and an "innocent" is in the blast radius you can be guard wacked. I'm not sure who thought of the idea to be able to throw these things around like mad, but he or she needs b*tch slapped. Truthfully I think this was one of the big things that killed uoforever.

2. Factions

I love factions, by far one of the coolest things that was ever created for the game in my opinion. I definitely like seeing and hearing the rivalry on this shard. The forums constantly blow up when things go down and that's how it should be. I've seen a lot of opinions on what to add and I always see factions bola's come up. Now I see absolutely nothing wrong with faction bola's but 99% of people who are asking for them are tamers. So here is my fix, allow faction bola's, but in return faction tamers can not bond their pets. Truthfully they shouldn't be able to anyway. That way some jacked out dragon who can drop you in two strikes isn't brought to the battle and unleashed on you while your on foot. I played a faction tamer on Catskills back in the old days and I know I thought twice about bringing my newly tamed Dragon to the fight when he could possibly get dropped quickly. Tamers on this shard have no fear of losing an animal just a couple regs and potions. So SERIOUSLY do away with bonded pets in factions. Sicking a jacked out dragon while your buddies dump spells is not what factions is about. It was created to show your skill in taking, defending sigils with skill.

Factions wands- To the people who think this is a good idea, go jump off a very high cliff...... enough said.

3. Reds (PKs)

This one is dear to my heart because this is what i enjoy doing. I'm a red player through and through. But some changes really need to be made (please!). First, this two day stat loss thing has got to go. Example, earlier today I was out doing my pk thing and ran up on my favorite noob tamer just doing his thing. Well as I'm about to unleash all hell on him, Shane's new launcher crashes on me. Now that's all well and good, but Mr noob tamer commenced to beating me down while i was logging back in causing me 26 hours of no play time. Now as a donating player I cannot play the game i enjoy for a little over a day. This alone will drive the pk element from this shard. Even though people hate us we are part of Ultima Online. My recommendation is keep the bounty system but drop the stat loss from a few days to a few hours. Don't penalize someone for playing the game how they like to play it.

Second, time and time again I have watched EQMS run into Brit on their reds and bait the poor innocent blues into attacking them. This i see absolutely nothing wrong with. What i see horribly wrong is they are allowed to heal each other while fighting inside city limits! What part of "you have committed a crime and wack" did the city guard forget? Reds allowed in city yes, reds allowed to heal other reds in city NO (obviously bucs is cool).

4. Spell Damage

Your getting there =)

I'm sure I'll add more later but working all night has killed my thinking process right now.

Obviously I am new and I might be off on a few things so i do apologize if so. Just throwing out some recommendations I think would strongly benefit this shard.

Happy Flaming

Yeah sorry lack of sleep was over whelming me at the time. Spell damage has always been a tricky thing to make perfect. Everyone has a different playing style and will change up spells . Its hard to find the perfect match up .

Blair

Master
Welcome to the server, I hope you've had fun so far. These issues are generally a recurring theme, so I'll try to explain the reasoning behind some of the recent changes.

1. Purple potions

Simply put the game has evolved drastically from "the way it used to be", and purple potions have become an integral part of PvP. Without using purple potions it would be very difficult to kill a skilled opponent 1v1. I do understand makes it harder for newer players, and those who don't have much interest in PvP, so the balancing act of making everyone happy is difficult. I think where we are now with damage is reasonable.

2. Factions

Tamers won't be able to use bolas. If we feel tamers become a problem related to bolas we will make adjustments.

The main flaw with wands in my view is that when charges are cheap, and you can spam them, they become oppressive. As long as charges have a significant value and can't be spammed constantly they add another dimension and excitement to PvP.

3. Reds

Yep dying sucks, but that's the cost of doing business. Imagine if you had to delete your red every time you got 48hrs of stat loss.

As long as the red isn't a criminal (grey) they can be healed in town.

4. Spell damage

I like it.

@Blair thanks for the feedback its very much appreciated. Don't you feel purple potions at their current state are oppressive? I completely understand what you are saying and I agree 100%, but why not add more of a delay in using them? That way it would matter on skill when to land them and not a continuous spam that is seen now.

Like I said just ideas I'm sure you have thought on the pros and cons

Baby Blue

Master
@Blair thanks for the feedback its very much appreciated. Don't you feel purple potions at their current state are oppressive? I completely understand what you are saying and I agree 100%, but why not add more of a delay in using them? That way it would matter on skill when to land them and not a continuous spam that is seen now.

Just start learning how to throw them. It's fun and will be worth it! You won't regret. We're in 2015 and this game isn't the same as it was back in 2002. Most of the players are better, have learned and played a lot. Let's not try to kill the game just because some people are worse or not willing to learn.

Why would they add more of a delay in using them? Seems like a really stupid suggestion to me. Just start learning... After a few months you'll be so much better than now. Just like everyone else, you'll figure it out.

Brakrak

Adept

I have a number of reds attack me with nothing but purple pots from the get go.......no spells....no stun...no wep...nothing but railing on one key over and over.....that is oppressive no?

Just start learning how to throw them. It's fun and will be worth it! You won't regret. We're in 2015 and this game isn't the same as it was back in 2002. Most of the players are better, have learned and played a lot. Let's not try to kill the game just because some people are worse or not willing to learn.

Why would they add more of a delay in using them? Seems like a really stupid suggestion to me. Just start learning... After a few months you'll be so much better than now. Just like everyone else, you'll figure it out.

I understand what your saying baby blue Ive learned to use them myself. But when they are used as a primary attack its just to much. There is simply no way for anyone to survive a 2 on 1 onslaught when pots are throw at a high rate of speed over and over. A timer would allow skill to kick in not just spamming a macro key over and over.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
I have a number of reds attack me with nothing but purple pots from the get go.......no spells....no stun...no wep...nothing but railing on one key over and over.....that is oppressive no?

So they kill you purely with explode pots? no spells, no stun, no wep?

If so, you might want to work on your skill level.

Why? Say your a dexer using just bandies and pots, and 2 gm alchys come at you with pots . At 25 damage a hit, they throw two a piece your done. Now if there was a timer, they couldn't rapid fire them and you would have a fighting chance. It would force them to use more then just pots is what I'm getting at.

Brakrak

Adept

Nope I didn't die....I am usually on my bard/archer and my shot rate back doesn't compare....so I run knowing that if its a mage/alchy and double back with no resist,he unloads his spells...and if its a poison fencer well we know what happens there....

Yep ......I suck....... give me my participation trophy:).......

Baby Blue

Master
I understand what your saying baby blue Ive learned to use them myself. But when they are used as a primary attack its just to much. There is simply no way for anyone to survive a 2 on 1 onslaught when pots are throw at a high rate of speed over and over. A timer would allow skill to kick in not just spamming a macro key over and over.

Do you have a proper stock? Greater heal potions, greater strength and greater agility. Running bandages all the time? And let's not forget that running is a skill as well. Most of the people will miss potions (even scripters do sometimes). You can use leave house and the buildings to gain some advantage against pot throwing enemies. Also, if possible, look at your mini map and always avoid running straight lines. Often small things makes the difference.

Yep ......I suck....... give me my participation trophy:).......
Just don't give up! If you do your best and still die, it's ok... Everyone will die more or less. There's no need to be ashamed. UO isn't an easy game and there's so much to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

I recorded myself and Azria playing last night. There are a lot of purple pots being thrown, but the fights last for a long time, and they are rarely the deciding factor. They serve more to make your opponent have to stop running and cast a heal, than to earn a kill. So what I think would be a smart strategy would be to watch the potion timer, you see them get a 4 potion, you have plenty of time to cast a greater heal. Or cast your heal right after you take potion damage if they are farther from you. A key thing is also making sure you use your heal potion on the second explosion potion, since heal potions can do ~30 and explosions cap out at 25. Being at 120 strength at all times is also important. Watch how I keep my stats high at all times, and I keep my life bar full as much as possible.

(I will link here when video is uploaded)
http://www.uoforum.com/threads/azria-jamiez-just-wanna-have-hum.64987/

Last edited by a moderator:

Brakrak

Adept
Do you have a proper stock? Greater heal potions, greater strength and greater agility. Running bandages all the time? And let's not forget that running is a skill as well. Most of the people will miss potions (even scripters do sometimes). You can use leave house, use buildings and gain some advantage against pot throwing enemies.

Do you have a proper stock? Greater heal potions, greater strength and greater agility. Running bandages all the time? And let's not forget that running is a skill as well. Most of the people will miss potions (even scripters do sometimes). You can use leave house and the buildings to gain some advantage against pot throwing enemies. Also, if possible, look at your mini map and always avoid running straight lines. Often small things makes the difference.

Just don't give up! If you do your best and still die, it's ok... Everyone will die more or less. There's no need to be ashamed. UO isn't an easy game and there's so much to learn.
I was joking....sorta LOL but the solution by everyone is about total defense....btw I never said I died.....just ran ran ran...which I don't really want to do....