Make RDAs a REAL Adventure

Nubby

Apprentice
I've participated in 2 RDAs and was very disappointed. I commend the staff on creating new content but feel some changes would go a long way (this will require great effort on the part of staff, but custom content in a 20 year old game is a bold promise, which should be executed better or not exist). As of now, they aren't fun and are usually just ran by or ignored by players. They need to be more rare and more rewarding, increasing their value and participation.

1) Don't make simply "entering" the RDA the hardest part of the "adventure". 4 mobs instantly hitting you for 30s = stress = die/log out. Let us progress through the adventure, in a very large epic journey, either through multiple levels, or one big level - can change based on your algorithms. Entering should = mongbat difficulty while the end = wow this is epic level of difficulty.

2) Make it more of an adventure please. It's a very very small confined area. It should feel more like an epic journey to get to the end boss. It's 3 screens by 3 screens as it is now? The ones I participated entailed players spamming paralyze field and provoking. If they failed they would try to run back through the gate in a mad scramble - not fun.

3) Allow mounts or make non tamers/non provos useful. I had a character with 105 armor / parry and was completely useless. Not sure how that makes sense. Make Mobs either hit dragons harder in these areas (to avoid only tamer domination), or limited provo. Not sure if slayer armor does/will help against meta death beetles or the tentacle chain hitting for 20s. This would allow more group dynamics at work, with tamers, provoers and other templates.

If it had the layout/feel of a regular, custom dungeon, with easy/medium/hard/ultra hard mobs in a progressive nature more players wouldn't simply ignore these fire elemental gates to another world. Players want to progress through things and stick together. Can even have the beginning mobs spawn again, forcing groups to move together and stick together in order to complete from start to finish.

Syntax

Adept
Funny you brought this up because I was just thinking the same thing the other day. We might have been in the same RDA, lol. It definitely has potential, and I like the idea but it does feel like the idea on a whole was shorted a little bit. I enjoy the RDAs while inside them, just feel the suggestions above and maybe some other ideas might really interest people.

Lavos

Master
While there is a steep learning curve for these, they are do able with a small group (you can even solo some with the right skills). Of course it seems really difficult when you first step in, but once you get the hang of it it really isn't too bad. It helps to have a balanced group, as each skill can really help in some way - Archers have the range to take out tentacles without being hit, bards help peace/provoke to break into the RDA and crowd control, tamers help with damage absorption on boss. Dexxers are useful in that they can provide a good amount of extra damage with the right slayer weapon, just don't expect to be taking the hits (with the right slayer armor I think you could do some minor tanking).

That said, I really like the idea of escalating difficulty. I think it would help people get into the RDAs and at least try the first few levels of challenge.

N49ATV

Adept
So similar to a champ spawn for difficulty, if they kept the current design. I just always hated being in the middle when a new tier kicks in, and being crazy pinned

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
Don't make dragons take more damage. Tamers are the tanks of UO. If you need to nerf them, nerf the dmg pets deal, but if that's to be done, repair the nerf on PS drop AND make pets less dumb pl0x.

anoob

Novice
While there is a steep learning curve for these, they are do able with a small group (you can even solo some with the right skills). Of course it seems really difficult when you first step in, but once you get the hang of it it really isn't too bad. It helps to have a balanced group, as each skill can really help in some way - Archers have the range to take out tentacles without being hit, bards help peace/provoke to break into the RDA and crowd control, tamers help with damage absorption on boss. Dexxers are useful in that they can provide a good amount of extra damage with the right slayer weapon, just don't expect to be taking the hits (with the right slayer armor I think you could do some minor tanking).

That said, I really like the idea of escalating difficulty. I think it would help people get into the RDAs and at least try the first few levels of challenge.

makes sense.. but still difficult for the smaller guild or less advanced player with 9 GM skills or whatever crazy combo archer mage provo tamer build you had that solo'd this.. i think theyre cool but i dont bother with the percent chance of insta death

Lavos

Master
makes sense.. but still difficult for the smaller guild or less advanced player with 9 GM skills or whatever crazy combo archer mage provo tamer build you had that solo'd this.. i think theyre cool but i dont bother with the percent chance of insta death

Personally, I won't do these solo. It can be done, but it is meant to be end game group content.

Strategy 1 - Bard invis's self and goes through gate hidden, or peacemake on self once in. If the entrance is covered by tentacle area damage, you need to identify a safe spot, tell your group where it is, and run to it. Pull health bars of monsters (important!) and provoke nearest together. Cast paralyze field if more CC needed. Set up a "go through moongate" macro for an easy escape if you're having trouble. Other members come in and assist (multiple bards going in can help). Archers will take out the tentacles, as they can safely hit the monsters while out of their AOE damage zone.

Strategy 2 - Everyone pulls bars of tamer pets. Tamers go in and the pets act as tanks. Others go in and heal pets or provoke monsters onto each other. Continue as normal.

It really is about teamwork, and once you get the hang of it, most RDAs can be done with only 2 people. Obviously the more diverse skill set you have going in, the easier it will be.

Don't give up, these are doable they just take practice.