Meeting Richard Garriott...

Rachel

Apprentice
So, long story short: @Steele'Dish & I are going to Classic Game Fest in Austin, TX.. Richard Garriott will be there and speaking about the history of Ultima Online and we may get a chance to meet him... So people usually dress up and what not and we decided we're gonna try to make a funny t-shirt with maybe an inside joke only UO players would get. Figured if anyone had any ideas I'd love to hear them :-D

GimpCent

Grandmaster
Make a t shirt asking for a tabula rasa 2, I am sure he will find it funny

Or fuck it just wear a EA Origins t shirt and have a it simply say "Why?" On the back

In your lust for praise for Richard one shouldn't forget how quick he sold Ultima once it was a take off success. How bad the failure of Tabula Rasa was and his failure to be honest with gamers who trusted him. I get he has done good things and bad but he is no saint. He sold out a long time ago and he can't even figure out why...

He is a greedy fuck imo who hasn't done shit for 15 years worth a damn. We should look at him as a ww2 vet but he did a few war crimes himself so how much you want to praise him is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoodfigure

Master
Make a sticker that says "Hello, my name is Rainz"

All you need is a fire field graphic on it. He'll understand.

rgA96E5.jpg

A player character known as Rainz cast a spell called "fire field" on Lord British that, surprisingly, killed him. According to Starr Long, the whole thing was just a human error: Lord British's character, like others, had been made invulnerable, but by design the invulnerability did not persist over several game sessions. Shortly before the incident, the server had crashed, and Richard Garriott had forgotten to set his invulnerability flag on when logging on again. Shortly afterwards, Rainz's account was banned from the beta test for previously exploiting bugs rather than reporting them (frequently used by his character Aquaman to kill many player characters, a purported griefing incident). According to Origin, he was not banned for the assassination but rather for previous complaints against his account that were brought to light as a result of this attention. After Lord British was killed, fellow Ultima Online developer Starr Long (also known in game as Lord Blackthorn) summoned some demons, who attacked innocent bystanders. This led to beta testers protesting both the indiscriminate killing, and the banning of the assassin. MMOCrunch calls it the most memorable event in MMORPG History. According to Wired magazine

Last edited by a moderator:

hubcap

Grandmaster
make a shirt that says 'saduj' on it. (Judas backwards.) Those that know Ultima I-III will know.

or a "Dude, Wheres my Lute?" Tee?

dude...there are MILLIONS.

Guwap

Grandmaster
"This shirt is greatly worn."
"This shirt is like new."

etc.

Or

"If you can read this the husband got PKed."
His: "OoOoo"

Rachel

Apprentice
Make a t shirt asking for a tabula rasa 2, I am sure he will find it funny

Or fuck it just wear a EA Origins t shirt and have a it simply say "Why?" On the back

In your lust for praise for Richard one shouldn't forget how quick he sold Ultima once it was a take off success. How bad the failure of Tabula Rasa was and his failure to be honest with gamers who trusted him. I get he has done good things and bad but he is no saint. He sold out a long time ago and he can't even figure out why...

He is a greedy fuck imo who hasn't done shit for 15 years worth a damn. We should look at him as a ww2 vet but he did a few war crimes himself so how much you want to praise him is up to you.

Meh not really for praise but since he's going to be there talkng about UO we figure other players might be there who would appreciate whatever we come up with. I don't know a lot about him other then he came up with Ultima and lives in the same city as me lol. I like the EA idea haha..

also used his name in the forum title cause I figured it would get more people clicking on it

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
If you do talk to him tell him you play UO FOREVER! He supports us all the time on his twitter and knows about us/has been on the server here.

Here is the video of when he was here: (Apologies for the potato quality)

GimpCent

Grandmaster
Meh not really for praise but since he's going to be there talkng about UO we figure other players might be there who would appreciate whatever we come up with. I don't know a lot about him other then he came up with Ultima and lives in the same city as me lol. I like the EA idea haha..

also used his name in the forum title cause I figured it would get more people clicking on it

I was just hating :) He probably by all counts is a good guy

GimpCent

Grandmaster
If you do talk to him tell him you play UO FOREVER! He supports us all the time on his twitter and knows about us/has been on the server here.

That is really cool Shane to see even after the fact.

That's part of the plan. If it wasn't for UOF Rachel and I wouldn't have ever met and fallen in love!