Nerf Tamers

Bromista

Grandmaster
The juice is worth the squeeze. Try making a tamer?

It was so nice I did it twice. The game straight up shits gold and valuables in my pack. It's pretty awesome.

halygon

Grandmaster
The juice is worth the squeeze. Try making a tamer?

It was so nice I did it twice. The game straight up shits gold and valuables in my pack. It's pretty awesome.
Assuming you like the tamer mechanics here. I for one made my tamer like everyone else but disliked the mechanics and pets so much that I deleted that character and replaced him with a alchy stun Mage :)

Bromista

Grandmaster
Assuming you like the tamer mechanics here. I for one made my tamer like everyone else but disliked the mechanics and pets so much that I deleted that character and replaced him with a alchy stun Mage :)
Were you trying to make a PvP tamer? Because when it comes to farming then I guess you could say I like the mechanics...PvM is really what tamers should be for anyhow.

I did go down the PvP tamer road for a minute. My tamer bard was my first, then I thought why not make a mage tamer? He was fucking gnarly, a scribe tamer...didn't need vet since I already had one so I was 5x tamer with scribe instead of wrestle. I ate some faces with him but in the end I just turned him over to a max damage output PvM template...archer tamer. Mage tamer just wasn't that much fun. So now I can't fight for shit with him anymore but if I wanna make some gold I can do it better than anyone.

halygon

Grandmaster
Were you trying to make a PvP tamer? Because when it comes to farming then I guess you could say I like the mechanics...PvM is really what tamers should be for anyhow.

I did go down the PvP tamer road for a minute. My tamer bard was my first, then I thought why not make a mage tamer? He was fucking gnarly, a scribe tamer...didn't need vet since I already had one so I was 5x tamer with scribe instead of wrestle. I ate some faces with him but in the end I just turned him over to a max damage output PvM template...archer tamer. Mage tamer just wasn't that much fun. So now I can't fight for shit with him anymore but if I wanna make some gold I can do it better than anyone.
No, mine was just a straight up Provo tamer like most folks. I just didn't like the way everything is centered around tamers and pets. I don't like the ease of which pets gain skills (on uoforever I trained 7x mares for cash). I think the rare pets are gimpy because everything seems to be focused around power scrolls and skill scrolls to be able to own a rare pet. And I guess lastly, the rare pet spawns have been trammelized as much as rare item spawns used to be. I don't feel you should be able to know a timer for rares or rare pets -- they should be on random timers IMO. But here I am ranting.

Anyways I deleted my tamer and pets and just built another pvp char like I said. I guess taming on here just isn't my thing.

TheGooch

Master
No, mine was just a straight up Provo tamer like most folks. I just didn't like the way everything is centered around tamers and pets. I don't like the ease of which pets gain skills (on uoforever I trained 7x mares for cash). I think the rare pets are gimpy because everything seems to be focused around power scrolls and skill scrolls to be able to own a rare pet. And I guess lastly, the rare pet spawns have been trammelized as much as rare item spawns used to be. I don't feel you should be able to know a timer for rares or rare pets -- they should be on random timers IMO. But here I am ranting.

Anyways I deleted my tamer and pets and just built another pvp char like I said. I guess taming on here just isn't my thing.
Definitely agree with timers here. Randomize it all I say.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I agree with you on the timers.
Can't argue with that. I've been advocating randomization for so.e time. But then again it does encourage interaction when there is anticipation of timers.

Kinda like "forcing" PS consumption forces interaction at champ spawns. I'm all for pushing powerscrolls on people in every facet... @halygon do you have a crafter? Or did you delete him for a PvPer too :p I kid, I kid. But are you aiming for the newer content?

Because it's not unlike the content they added for tamers. Talk about forcing scrolling on people! Without that push for earning PS or paying your way I'm afraid new content would be lame if there was no or very little barrier to entry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobz

Master
I doubt tamers need to be nerfed. Ive witnessed archers/provos get things down quicker than me before on my tamer lol also, taming isnt easy to skill up so its worth what it is. Nerfing it would make it useless..

Darktrix

Expert
Taming doesn't need nerfing, the amount of effort you have to put in to get the skill level required alone is a nerf lol. Even during the high skill gain weekend i only managed to gain 12.5 taming 50 - 62.5. In that same time i have a fully prepped alchy/stun/mage and archer prov skilled up on my other account... If you throw a provo archer out there with slayer weapons, they eat mobs almost as fast if not faster sometimes...

halygon

Grandmaster
Can't argue with that. I've been advocating randomization for so.e time. But then again it does encourage interaction when there is anticipation of timers.

Kinda like "forcing" PS consumption forces interaction at champ spawns. I'm all for pushing powerscrolls on people in every facet... @halygon do you have a crafter? Or did you delete him for a PvPer too :p I kid, I kid. But are you aiming for the newer content?

Because it's not unlike the content they added for tamers. Talk about forcing scrolling on people! Without that push for earning PS or paying your way I'm afraid new content would be lame if there was no or very little barrier to entry.
The only reason I have a crafter is to support my PvP habit. I have actually made very little money off selling PS or SS in my tenure here on UOF. I actually farm very little too, prolly once a month?

Don't get me wrong, in the general sense of UO, I love tamers. On uoforever that was my bread and butter, but it seems to me that other than gaining skill, things are given to tamers here. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Bromista

Grandmaster
The only reason I have a crafter is to support my PvP habit. I have actually made very little money off selling PS or SS in my tenure here on UOF. I actually farm very little too, prolly once a month?

Don't get me wrong, in the general sense of UO, I love tamers. On uoforever that was my bread and butter, but it seems to me that other than gaining skill, things are given to tamers here. Maybe it's just my imagination.
I guessed as much, nothing wrong with that. But yeeesh, let me tell you. The barrier to entry for new crafting content is higher for crafters than new taming content has been for tamers.

K A Z

Grandmaster
there should be more risk involved when it comes to balling back pets. The mechanics right now are a fucking joke.

TheGooch

Master
there should be more risk involved when it comes to balling back pets. The mechanics right now are a fucking joke.
Perhaps raising the cost of powder to 200 dc. It would be a 40k hit for balling back pets. Bringing them back often will start to hit the pockets if they aren't careful. I would rather have to pay that 40 than take a chance on someone's word that they'll give me my pet after paying a ransom.

Sometimes I use Chuck Norris as my tamer pet. If he is fed properly he can roundhouse a balron to death with one kick. I don't like using him because I feel like I'm cheating.

Dragons should take 3 slots drakes should take 2 slots. And pretty much you don’t get a mount if,

Or nightmare 2 slots and Dragons 3 slots.

halygon

Grandmaster
I guessed as much, nothing wrong with that. But yeeesh, let me tell you. The barrier to entry for new crafting content is higher for crafters than new taming content has been for tamers.
I am not the type to take advantage of flawed systems, maybe its my nature. Because of that I do not have a fisherman nor a tamer. Both of these are overly developed on this shard. I mean when was the last time they balanced these professions?

Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon with the rest of ya, but again, I don't think that's in my nature either.

As a side note (and to @K A Z ) --> Where the hell are all the trap houses? Around brit, the only one I know of is my own Skeleton Crew house and the way that the mechanics work, you pretty much need to be a owner/friend/co-owner of the house to even trap pets. Too many griefing features that contribute to the overall feel of UO have been disabled on this shard. smh

Hogan

Novice
i don't know about tamers as far as PvM but there should be a hard look at them when it comes to PvP.

Yesterday I was "all kill"ed from a tamer with dragons. I ran around to the other side of a tower, the dragons where now off screen and around 2 corners. The fire breath followed me around 2 corners, i was on the south side of a tower and they were half a screen north of the north side of the tower. Dead. So far off the tamer didn't even realized i died.

To me that's a little extreme. If you can all kill and target me from half a screen away, not take any melee damage and and run 2 screens and still die. No wonder I am seeing tamers popping up at any PvP encounter now.