Novice tamer with 96 (real) taming - farming

Jonny26

Master
Hi all,

So I got to 96 taming 2 days ago, felt great after putting in some serious hours!

I have so many questions for u experienced tamer pvm'ers out there it's hard to know where to begin. First off, I am generally a bit shit pvp or pvm on uo - hence why I always played my thief before this. Since acquiring my tamer I have been looking forward to the potential gold which can be farmed, but my experience so far has not gone well. I have been through 4 drags and 4 ww's in the past 2 days, each time having both and myself die owing to reds or mobs. Now I am ok with getting pk'ed as I love the risk reward factor on uof, but I really shouldn't be dying so much from mobs. I have only been killing cyclops, Titan and drakes but as soon as a paragon, shadow whatever or too many mobs come into sight, I panic and there seems to only be one outcome - a grey screen.I have just GM'd provoke today, so I know that is going to help, but I am yet to learn vet. I have been told this skill is invaluable when owning pets but I am not sure the best way to train. Also I have very limited knowledge about the farming spots which are best so help in that department would be most appreciated. If someone could spare the time to show me the ropes i would be most grateful as I really want to farm some gold/ss without being a complete noob.

Thanks for reading :)

Derwolf

Grandmaster
oye! You need to bond your pets asap it sounds like you are going out with tamed pets. Feed your pets some meat from the butcher,stable them for a rl week and feed them again to complete the bonding process. GM provo and vet are crucial for a PvM tamer. I would make a book with all your favorite farming spots(gotta keep it movin') and an "oh shit" recall macro for when things get ruff

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
for one...dont go anywhere unless ur pet is bonded. vet is real easy to gain...i killed a bonded beetle i had and set a loop macro to heal it while it was dead. went from 40 to gm in less than a day..next to vesper bank..with about 6k of bandages.

i have the same build as you except i have 110 provo. what i do is gate in, all kill the first thing i see and make damn sure im not targeted and have my pets guarding me. then i start provoing the heavier mobs on each other and cycle the smaller ones onto the stronger ones

Jonny26

Master
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think I will have to sort vet out. Is there any way to do this without having to wait the week for for pet to bond. Can I configure 2 pets fighting and healing them or something.The reason I went straight out without bonding was I was just so excited to test out the new pets after doing nothing but taming for 6 days. Gonna be patient on the next ones. Also when a pet is bonded, does that mean they recall in/out with u as opposed to having to gate. Another question I had was on the levelling up of pets. Do they increase in Mage med etc, alongside their str int stats. Also is a meta the way to go in the future as I imagine these can be trained to be tougher than any tameable pet. Also can a greater dragon be tamed and if so - at what skill level. As taming skill increases can u hold more pets in stable? Sorry so many questions.
Thanks

Jimmy

Master
Keep two in the stables to marinade and take two others out to burn while you're waiting. If they die, just tame two more and you don't lose bonding time.

Yes, when bonded, you can recall with them.

They increase in skills up to 100 in most cases but stats remain the same.

Metas can be more effective but beyond just training, they are expensive to rear (egg @ 750K+, good relics at 3M+ each) and take awhile to level (you need to level them from a useless snake to a mature dragon). Doesn't make them that much tougher but definitely greater damage output (especially to large groups of mobs). A well trained dragon with a WW/mare can get you to be 90% to being an effective farming machine. Also, beyond metas, there are also lots of other high-end pets to consider such as a death beetle.

Can't tame a greater dragon.

From memory, stable slots increase with taming, lore, and vet. Someone else will have to fill in at what rate.

Infectious

Master
Keep two in the stables to marinade and take two others out to burn while you're waiting. If they die, just tame two more and you don't lose bonding time.

Yes, when bonded, you can recall with them.

They increase in skills up to 100 in most cases but stats remain the same.

Metas can be more effective but beyond just training, they are expensive to rear (egg @ 750K+, good relics at 3M+ each) and take awhile to level (you need to level them from a useless snake to a mature dragon). Doesn't make them that much tougher but definitely greater damage output (especially to large groups of mobs). A well trained dragon with a WW/mare can get you to be 90% to being an effective farming machine. Also, beyond metas, there are also lots of other high-end pets to consider such as a death beetle.

Can't tame a greater dragon.

From memory, stable slots increase with taming, lore, and vet. Someone else will have to fill in at what rate.
Pretty sure stable slots is based off lore alone

Jonny26

Master
Well took a spare ww out to fire lvl one for an hour. Died a few times but definitely less owing to the helpful comments. Only managed to take 25k in the hour, but that is far better than I was doing before. What would you say a 'pro' tamers takings would be for 1 hour? I have gm lore currently so I'm guessing I need to raise it in order to stable more pets.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
i can hit 60-75k an hour if...big IF, nobody bothers me where i hunt.

but usually i get distracted, dick around..etc too. so i usually do about 40k or so..little more

kmotion

Apprentice
i'd suggest bonding ALL of your main and backup hunting pets at once, that way, it'll only be 1 week, instead of 2+.
also, pet's skills need to be "trained" before you can really pull in a lot of gold, in the least amount of time. (yes, pets can be 7x too!)

taming/vet/lore/provo/music/magery is the basic tamer-provo build

What you can do is use ypur provo and magery to provo liches and cast evs to kill the liches til you have enough for one. Bond a WW use him provo and evs to get the other. Then bam bobs your uncle