NPC Pirate Ship

Bruno D

Adept
@Easy Cheese - Yes actually this will be coming to the server at some point, a system is being worked on, when it will be finished and implemented I cannot say, yet. But eventually there will be pirate NPC's on the waters that players are going to have to deal with one way or another because they will chase you. Hopefully we can expect to see small NPC pirate ships and then 1 or more "boss" type pirate crews that are much tougher, don't spawn as often but drop cool stuff<3

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno D

Adept
This would awesome but only available to players with large galleons

Not necessarily, you may not need a galleon to take out the majority of the NPC pirate ships, but you might need a galleon or team up with other players to fight the boss type crews that would also be on galleons.

Tydeus

Master
Pirate ships should also spawn nearby and seek you out when you use the fishing nets, or are fishing up MIBs and similar.

I disagree.

This would hurt MiB and green net harvesting, because you would need to be always paying attention while getting those items or you're dead. Unless someone can tolerate being at the screen all the time looking at themselves fish and waiting for sea serpents to pop up.

Negative on the fishing nets as well. That would pretty much destroy my method of using those nets, which is to cast a lot of them in the water at the same time while using 2 bards and 3 archers. I'd have to deal with all of the spawn plus NPC pirate ships at the same time, which would likely force me to move my boat out of range of all the provo'd net spawn and ruin everything.

If there are NPC pirate ships added, they should not be a forced spawn when you fish for MiBs and cast nets. They should simply be out in the ocean at possibly random locations.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
I disagree.

This would hurt MiB and green net harvesting, because you would need to be always paying attention while getting those items or you're dead. Unless someone can tolerate being at the screen all the time looking at themselves fish and waiting for sea serpents to pop up.

Negative on the fishing nets as well. That would pretty much destroy my method of using those nets, which is to cast a lot of them in the water at the same time while using 2 bards and 3 archers. I'd have to deal with all of the spawn plus NPC pirate ships at the same time, which would likely force me to move my boat out of range of all the provo'd net spawn and ruin everything.

If there are NPC pirate ships added, they should not be a forced spawn when you fish for MiBs and cast nets. They should simply be out in the ocean at possibly random locations.

I think I meant while fishing up the treasure, so that the pirates seem to be looking for the same treasure.

I dunno, too much smokey.

Bruno D

Adept
@thriftyuoplayer
I disagree.

The way this system will work is that they will spawn in different random parts of the ocean and they will have the AI to follow player's. So, they will move around and encounters are likely to be somewhat random. This means that yes you may encounter them while fishing, doing whirlpools, or mibbing but they are not going to spawn on top of you as a result of fishing, or tossing nets.

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
+1 for a great idea. This could be expanded to include, say, rescue quests where pirates have taken a blue NPC hostage and a notice goes out like with whirlpools. Or, say, a unique and new type of t map that NPC ship has which leads to better than average t chest, maybe dug up from the water rather than land?
Either way I cant wait for this to be implemented. Which means Ill have to get a real boat when it does.

Bruno D

Adept
+1 for a great idea. This could be expanded to include, say, rescue quests where pirates have taken a blue NPC hostage and a notice goes out like with whirlpools. Or, say, a unique and new type of t map that NPC ship has which leads to better than average t chest, maybe dug up from the water rather than land?
Either way I cant wait for this to be implemented. Which means Ill have to get a real boat when it does.

Great idea.
There might be other things on NPC ships as well:
http://www.uoguide.com/Liquor_Smuggler's_Cache

hubcap

Grandmaster
instead of having them actively 'chase' players all the time maybe spawn a few that are "MiB" hunters, as well.
For example:
You "scan the horizons" and you see a "red dot."
Investigate this red dot and you find a group of pirates on their boat fishing up treasure.
A battle ensues for the booty....

Along those lines.....

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Make them attack only if the player ship comes into close proximity, like a normal MOB, and don't make their ships too fast, like a normal MOB. Fisherfolk have enough annoying stuff to deal with already, like PC pirates.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Maybe it would good if they were in zones, at specific spawn points. Like in the bay of britain where MIBs don't really spawn. Or maybe somewhere more appropriate like around Buc's Den or Booty.

This would also bring together lots of PC pirate ships in the same area so that they can all fight with each other and block in each others craft and such as they like to do without giving the fishers even more headache diisincentives to play UO Forever.