on my theif and seen a blessed dragon egg.

Cheapsuit

Master
The door locks on a house were used in those days. People would just run around the map double clicking doors full time to see who left their doors unlocked as you could loot everything inside. This is similar to how people IDOC click today. It would always get you so pumped once that door flung open after clicking on several hundred locked doors. You walk inside to see that you were beaten to the house by someone else.

I joined my first guild on UO by meeting a guy that left his house unlocked on Ice Island. He came home in the middle of me looting it, revealed me, killed me, ressed me and then took me under his wing to join his guild as I was only a week or two old into UO.
Lol,well running around clicking doors seem a bit too easy but maybe if they had made it where someone with gm lock picking had a small chance to pick the lock but not let him loot everything just a small percent. That would have been more fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MZ3K

Grandmaster
If it wasn't blessed you wouldn't have seen it in his bag. He would have had it in the bank. You didn't loose any opportunity that you would have had otherwise.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
If you got your house looted, you would most likely quit....thats why they changed it.

Theres a balance between being super hardcore and unfun -- especially in 2016 where there are hundreds of other games you can choose in a similar niche.

That being said -- I do agree that things like an item bless deed have the potential to really fuck with the balance of PVP if it gets into the wrong hands.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I presume Cino won it. He put in days of work. He didn't loot his kills in order to keep his speed up. One guy made 2.5 mil just from looting his kills for a fraction of the time. He probably earned the cost of that egg and another one to replace it if it got stolen. IMO a blessed dragon egg isn't at all too much of a reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it wasn't blessed you wouldn't have seen it in his bag. He would have had it in the bank. You didn't loose any opportunity that you would have had otherwise.
you have to move it somehow. shit just doesn't appear in the bank. i just missed a verite runic hammer yesterday. shits out there you just need to be quick and at the right place at the right time.

15g12e.jpg
you never know who is following you in to your gates and then into more gates thus ending up inside your locked house ;)

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Yeah you use to be able to steal house keys then loot everything in the house there was no lock downs or secures, things in houses just didn't decay so people just threw everything on the floor.

I've been on servers like this, they didn't last more than 5 months each time and that was like 8 years ago or more when there was 50+ thousand more people playing still.

Do a server like this now after all the WoW type hand holding games? You'll be playing with 20 people max the entire server's life cause no one wants to work for hours/weeks/months gaining loot in their house just to have it all stolen because they made one mistake by some new guy who just joined the server.

That's when people quit.

There's a fine line there. I think adding stuff such as bags of sending and insurance was that line crossed between having risk and no risk. Having it so absolutely everything is stealable though? That would completely kill UO FOREVER hands down.

As for the blessed Dragon egg, that guy put in some SOLID game time to obtain that, and if thieves think it's "stupid" that they can't steal that dragon egg on a character they macro'd up AFK in a few days, then i am fine with that and accept it.
I think you're right. Insurance was a big factor that killed this game, even moreso (in my opinion) than Trammel, which only prevented weak griefers from griefing weak characters.

There's absolutely a necessary balance. I think that balance starts to fade when an item bless deed is introduced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Star

Grandmaster
I presume Cino won it. He put in days of work. He didn't loot his kills in order to keep his speed up. One guy made 2.5 mil just from looting his kills for a fraction of the time. He probably earned the cost of that egg and another one to replace it if it got stolen. IMO a blessed dragon egg isn't at all too much of a reward.
Yes. After doing some math, other then the slayer book, I came out pretty good. Got 13th and looted around 2m in gold. I tried to ride my beetle as much as I could to prolong bank runs when in the city. Having a safehouse just out of town helped out too when on a swampy to dump loot in as well.

I knew I wasn't going to get in 1st place but I just tried to keep a good pace to keep up near top 10. There were times when I didn't loot but seeing all that gold being left got the best of me and I'd fill up till I got close to my weight limit if cursed.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
Yeah, this game used to be so raw... it was fantastic. Nothing blessed, everything a risk. Consequences.

It's funny what UO has become. The 'leet' want the most grief with the smallest risk possible. "No trammel! I should be able to kill whatever PvM chars I want! But... hey... can I get a no cut zone? I mean, I want to be red and stuff... I just don't want the consequences of being red."

The blessed shit should go away. Bringing an item bless deed to this shard is toxic.

If nothing was blessed then character customization would literally suck, i enjoy seeing some clown 5-30m outfit as it makes him unique in the herd of lambs.

I agree UO has evolved - for worse with assistant programs and player mentality in my opinion, i literally question how some of you even have fun: be it grinding senseless AI for nearly 2 decades straight, running 10+ deep with spells loaded and using target closest like a homing missle, or running the entire map and trying to pass it off as "pvp".

UO is still very much what you make of it - if you enjoy watching paint dry, having 0 challenge or being a complete ***** scared of death, then good on you. Just know this Aussie is laughing at you.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
If nothing was blessed then character customization would literally suck, i enjoy seeing some clown 5-30m outfit as it makes him unique in the herd of lambs.

I agree UO has evolved - for worse with assistant programs and player mentality in my opinion, i literally question how some of you even have fun: be it grinding senseless AI for nearly 2 decades straight, running 10+ deep with spells loaded and using target closest like a homing missle, or running the entire map and trying to pass it off as "pvp".

UO is still very much what you make of it - if you enjoy watching paint dry, having 0 challenge or being a complete ***** scared of death, then good on you. Just know this Aussie is laughing at you.
Neon hair and newbie blessed gear used to be the way to customize your look: that, and shirts/pants/sandals that you didn't mind losing. It served its purpose.

I agree with the rest, though... PvP has declined significantly, mainly because of the "find easiest crutch and exploit it" mentality. Nearest target macros shouldn't exist. Some of the scripts shouldn't exist. I'd rather the game be stripped down to the basic interface than play against a lot of the nonsense now.

But whatever. Gank squads, nearest target precasts and marathon running isn't the PvP I played this game for. It is what it is.

Dig'em

Grandmaster
question. while stealing in guard zones what are the reason behind getting guard whacked and not? is it all chance?
Yup, a "good steal" leaves you blue and goes unnoticed to the guards, a "bad steal" leaves you grey and grey screened by guards. I don't think it's a 50/50 chance but there's definitely some percentage there

Dig'em

Grandmaster
From the wiki "even attempting to steal from another player or innocent creature will flag you as a criminal, chances of being flagged decrease with higher skill level, the more characters and NPCs around increases your chance of flagging as well, if you are not seen you will retain your innocent status"