Once Upon A Thief...

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Twas dusk like any other, three companions discussed their plans for the following morning, an assault like any other on the deeper levels of Shame Dungeon. They shared tales of past experiences, mentioning near tragic circumstances with uplifting outcomes and bags filled with gold. One mentioned a particularly valuable weapon, a Katana, empowered with forces to slay elemental's, more durable than the hardest of irons and allowing the wielder obvious precision. To the other companions surprise, the owner of the legendary Katana revealed the weapon of elemental destruction from its sheathe and danced elegantly, arrogantly around without a care in the Sosarian World.

From the shadows, the gutters if you like, twas a figure dressed in clothing which mirrored the night, a long stalk of grass held cleverly in 'its' mouth and a stare which focused, one tracked, upon the desirable pirouetting, blade. 'Perhaps this trinket of wealth t'would sell for a fair copper!' the shady character reasoned, 'perhaps even fund a bathing tub of the finest, Moonglow Ale!'

The companion sheathed his sword as the others considered the probability of prying eyes and unsavoury thoughts as they continued their way to the local inn. Such thoughts were justified, the shady one had already gained enough ground, unseen, to execute the unthinkable, one final hesitation, a quick survey of the immediate area and a quick grasp for the sheathed weapon commenced.

"Thou Shalt Regret Thine Actions Swine!"

The thief lay motionless on the ground, halberd embedded deeply into 'his' cranium, body still convulsing from infinite amounts of electricity and three companions laughing and pointing at the mess on the floor, the Katana, back with its previous owner, a failed attempt at mediocrity. The owner of the Katana looted a lock pick and spat on the corpse he said 'Choose a better class Newb!' and walked away feeling content with himself..

Why the poorly written story, you might ask yourself, well it seems that there once again has been an increase in criticism to what a thief can and can't do. Choosing a thief is really a career path on Ultima Online, one of the most versatile classes this game has to offer, it should come as no surprise that players who choose this path do indeed require greater amounts of skill than most other classes. I can almost hear the whispers to that controversial statements "But all you have to do is click a button and get rich!", granted this statement can be true but there really is a lot more to being a thief than actually visiting towns and stealing goods from fearless yet, ignorant marks.

I have always considered the thief class as a class with um.. class... Some of the best comics are based around stealing, some of the best experiences can be had with epic chases, downright ridiculous conversations and enough tears to turn the Sahara desert into lush, tropical jungles, but I always have to remind myself that players can actually end up in such frenzy over losing a Grandmaster crafted bow to a thief. When you get murdered in a dungeon, or outside while farming one of the many spawns, do you intend on committing Harry Carry (Hara-Kiri) when you have lost X amount of gold, armour, instruments and/or a weapon of great value? Nay, this would never do, just restock and be on your way. Yet, one little bow or weapon is stolen *sometimes something of greater importance* and everyone starts losing their mind! "Thank you Heath Ledger"

A thief will always be a thief in this game, it is what this class was designed to do, perhaps instead of losing your mind over one item, perhaps join the ranks and see exactly what it is like to be a thief, give the class a go, perhaps after getting guard-wacked for the 500th time, you might even be a little more reluctant to give that item back that most thieves do when they first start out *guilt*, perhaps you might become the next big sensation as a thief, regardless, understand that while the skill is there to use, people like me and many others will continue to use it and hopefully use it well..

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
Well said Darkarna. People think that shits easy money or something.. It is NOT. I'd be willing to bet that it's in fact one of the hardest ways to get "rich".

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Well said Darkarna. People think that shits easy money or something.. It is NOT. I'd be willing to bet that it's in fact one of the hardest ways to get "rich".

It always amazes me how people can vomit their criticism about thieves. There have been times when a plan has been set in motion, sometimes requiring weeks to nail the finer details in the plot and yet something completely out of your control comes along and wrecks it. I guess to understand something it requires experience, can't really blame the criticism, especially when the source of criticism is from someone who is already ingame wealthy.

I think there needs to be a special reward for those who cry the most, a colouring book, some crayons and a nice fluffy teddy which uses the 'Ma Ma' sound effect when double clicked.

Last edited by a moderator:

God.RG

Grandmaster
fact is that it is completely ******** how items go back to the original holder's pack if the thief dies.
who cried enough to get that put in?

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
It's far more advanced and cerebral to be a classic thief. Those who use scripts miss out on so much of the thrill (same with PKing). I've had people run with me during my "borrowing" runs in dungeons and most are amazed on how things just escalate. When I'm on Blaine and I see something your holding that I want I'll stay with you all day until I get it in my own bank. Greedy is not something you want to be as a thief.
Pick and choose.
Be the cat that doesn't fuck with all the laser pointers and focus on the one in the hand of the one you want to nail.

Coolbreeze

Neophyte
Well tonight some guy got really angry at me and pretty much called me every name in the book and told me I was the reason people quit UO. So after the verbal abuse I decided to put his weapon up for sale in the selling forum so feel free to go bid on it if anyone is interested. To the guy...sorry bro but I just had to get it man cause you were flopping around the bank trying to high sign and whatnot so I just couldn't help myself.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Well tonight some guy got really angry at me and pretty much called me every name in the book and told me I was the reason people quit UO. So after the verbal abuse I decided to put his weapon up for sale in the selling forum so feel free to go bid on it if anyone is interested. To the guy...sorry bro but I just had to get it man cause you were flopping around the bank trying to high sign and whatnot so I just couldn't help myself.

I wouldn't be so horrible to some people if they just shut up. This is a good example. Good grab. Also side note thank you for not getting grab happy on my crafter. I was happy to see a thief not just run up and die to guards for once. Tho you didn't get my golden hammer, but I'm just seeing it as part of that thief code. ;) Which turns this into an I.O.U.

Cack

Grandmaster
fact is that it is completely ******** how items go back to the original holder's pack if the thief dies.
who cried enough to get that put in?
Well it makes sense from a thought experiment perspective.
Guard magically appears out of a bolt of lightning, which also magically appears, slays the would be thief and " magically " puts back the item.

Darkarna

Grandmaster

Great liberation of such a shiny weapon Sir, I hope you sold said weapon and spent every penny getting absolutely sloshed at one of the local inns. I must add, your bank is really neat and tidy!

Liberty

Grandmaster

Betrayed by the people we used to help...not even a perfect wep? I'd toss that worthless metal into the trash barrel.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Betrayed by the people we used to help...not even a perfect wep? I'd toss that worthless metal into the trash barrel.

Forgive my confusion here Liberty, but I am lost on your comment here. Did you help this enterprising thief and thus said comment is related to that or would your message lead to a deeper and darker place towards someone else in this thread? Forgive my paranoia but the thief is taking a bit of a battering lately..

Liberty

Grandmaster
Forgive my confusion here Liberty, but I am lost on your comment here. Did you help this enterprising thief and thus said comment is related to that or would your message lead to a deeper and darker place towards someone else in this thread? Forgive my paranoia but the thief is taking a bit of a battering lately..
Just a simple reminder of the affluent helping the poor only to have the poor steal from those wealthier than them.

Last edited by a moderator: