Player vendor search

silent

Adept
Have we thought about implementing a vendor search system like UOsearch? I loved being able to search for items I needed on a site rather then endlessly finding vendors with stuff I don't need!

Just an idea that may boost the economy!

wreckognize

Grandmaster
good idea, sometimes i post screenshots of vendors warez on my vendor mall. Theres tons of vendors on yew bank roof btw

omnom

Grandmaster
Third party site ideas that provide services to UOF have been shut down by Shane in the past due to a potential traffic loss to UOF.

SidX

Grandmaster
I'm pretty sure the UOSearch uses EUO to get their listing info, which obviously wouldn't fly here unless the admins ran it. One thing I never liked about UOSearch is how it takes away virtually all traffic from middle-of-nowhere vendors. On the EA servers I had a pretty solid vendor house that lost almost all traffic when UOSearch launched.

Dellan

Grandmaster
I'd like to be able to list items in vendors somehow, by using house sign options... many people forget to name it there, and I hate to click through 562 packs to see what is where.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
Any kind of auto-search function would do exactly what SidX said, completely eliminate all middle-ground vendors and would also force all items to be priced exactly the same to stay competitive. I can't picture anything sucking more life out of the game than that.

WoW implemented a system once that auto-groups you with players through a search window to do dungeons rather than have to round up players yourself, and what this did was turn the game into a solo-heavy ghost town where no one communicated anymore, and everything was done through windows and auctions houses.

I disagree with OP. having a high traffic area vendor location should allow one to greatly overprice items that can be found on vendors in not so high traffic areas for half the cost. Not to mention the value of these high traffic places would drop dramatically.

Best advice, run around and find the vendors that price things low. Mark runes there and then do your shopping at the less advertised vendors.

halygon

Grandmaster
I've said this before on a different but similar thread.

Being able to search all the vendors in the shard and the items they have for sale will severely hurt the economy. As said above, vendor houses that are in great locations will drop drastically in value as location will no longer be a factor for sales.

Prices will become standardized and you will not be able to "find that good deal" when searching through player run vendors. Also, rare items will become even harder to come by because someone will be able to find all of a certain object for sale and buy them all by just locating them through the vendor search.

This eventually will become like half price books. If you are not familar, this is a large book store that sales pre-used books. In the past, their inventory was not tracked down to the book and they books sold would just be priced and immediately go to the floor for sale. This was great because I could find that rare hard back 1st ed. book for a decent price -- i just had to look around. Now they have inventoried everything and publish their inventory online for folks to search through and purchase online. This has made the store that I previously liked going to completely pointless and worthless in my eyes. Now I just buy books from amazon.

Take what you will from that, but I refuse to think that there is any advantage to consolidating all of the vendors and their warez into a single searchable system.

just a rant but i would be nice however if a gump would popup when you double click a vendor which lists what it has for sale. Single clicking thru 500 slayer weapons to find 1 decent one at a decent price is a pain in the ass.

halygon

Grandmaster
Or if people who ran vendors would just post their locations in the forums....
Yeah I hate it when they don't do that. They should at least put it in their signature or something.

I've heard of this vendor house called Gankware LLC on Verity island....

silent

Adept
I was not thinking third party, i was thinking something related to the uof website/forum. i understand the repercussions...