Poll: Should we be compensated to add content to the UOF Wiki?

Should we receive compensation for helping to create the UOF WIKI?

• Yes: Donation Coins

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Yes: Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes: Special UOF Wearables

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Yes: Other (specify)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • No: We should do it out of the love in our heart!

Votes: 23 69.7%

• Total voters

Lobber

Adept
  1. money (cash) = donation coins
  2. time = money
  3. making and writing pages for UOF wiki = time
  4. using rules of high school algebra equivalence principle ...
  5. making and writing pages for wiki = donation coins

S

Shane

If this was the case i'd just hire one person to fully do it... lol That isn't the point of a wiki though is it? I always thought it was a community thing, like these forums.

Lobber

Adept
Ultimately, it is your decision. I'm trying to help you out, by suggesting an idea to get players motivated to donate time to do the work.

S

Shane

Yeah doesn't matter to me really, if someone does an outstanding job on the wiki i have no issues compensating

Lobber

Adept
Sounds good to me.

There's an old proverb: "If you need something done, give it to a busy person."

And another proverb: "If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Which is similar to an old Bible proverb:

Have you seen a man skillful at his work?He will stand before kings; He will not stand before common men.
- Proverbs 22:29

Last edited by a moderator:

Finch

Apprentice
That's not a bad idea.

The wiki is a valuable resource, but a chore to create and edit. It's unrealistic to think you will get quality content added to it regularly if players aren't getting something out of it. The bottom line is that this is a video game. The people that play here are here for just that: to play. It's the staff who have an interest in building and governing the world, but even for them something like this would be considered tedious.

So, in short, wiki's can be very valuable, but if you don't make it worth while to create it, it just wont get done. With this being a free a shard, I'd say it would be a bit unreasonable to ask staff to pay someone to do this out of pocket, but perfectly reasonable for them to do it with in game items.

Aside from that, it evens the playing field a bit. Not everyone can afford to donate money to the shard, which puts those who can at a slight advantage. Anyone can add at least a little something to a wiki though, so that makes donation incentives more fair. It gives those who can't donate money the opportunity to donate their time and receive a little 'thank you' for it...

kurtis

Grandmaster
Plenty of people are willing to help out for free. Compensation should be awarded only if compensation is necessary. People have been clamoring for a wiki page for a long time, and once the ball gets rolling, my hunch is that we won't need compensation. I know I would contribute for free.

I see no reason to jump straight to compensation. If the page is severely lacking in content and quality, then compensation may be necessary.

Also, I didn't even know there was a wiki until just now. Time to start helping out I guess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a well constructed wiki will ultimately download(lead gen$), play(community win), and donate($$).

Err'body wins!

Moccy

Neophyte
Is it possible to launch a browser using text commands from the UO client? what would be nice is if you were able to type something like "[wiki Animal Taming" and it would take you to that page (or search if the page didn't exist). The closer the wiki is to the game client, the more likely it is that people will use it, and better yet, contribute to it :)

Just a thought :)

Finch

Apprentice
Is it possible to launch a browser using text commands from the UO client? what would be nice is if you were able to type something like "[wiki Animal Taming" and it would take you to that page (or search if the page didn't exist). The closer the wiki is to the game client, the more likely it is that people will use it, and better yet, contribute to it :)

Just a thought :)

This is a brilliant idea.... And yes, it is possible to do.

Riversilk

Master
Having a good wiki is an incentive for new players to begin playing here.
UOF wiki is at most empty, and even if i know everyone could and should add to it, it surely isn't as easy as writing a post/guide on the forums instead.
Fact is that every new player starting on UOF gets their info from UO second age Wiki, which is the wiki of another shard, which is basically wrong.
The website, moreover, could see some important improvements, the first being an account manager page or a server statistics page.

Skoad

Journeyman
It SHOULD be done with the love we have for the game, but it wont get done that way. A small offering would cause a blood in the wiki section.